Rio-2016 News

Although some people hates 1996 logo, personaly its one of my fave ones and the one which brings me more nostalgia (i was too young to remember Barcelona).

Try taking a screenshot and uploading it somewhere, Baron. But if you say that is better than London and Sochi, then at least thats a relief :P

Well, Rio 2016 website changed already to a full yellow theme... Is this a tip for what will come tomorrow?

www.rio2016.org.br

---

I like a lot the Atlanta 1996 logo. One of my favs too. Indeed, except Beijing and London, I like all the logos for SOGs since LA 84.

I can't say. It was shown to me on condition of secrecy! B)

You'll have to wait!!

I dare you to say the colours, at least. B)

And you can't say you saw the BW version of the logo...

Rogge saw what he wanted

by Michel in Castellar 02.jan.2011 at 13:41 pm

On the night launch of the logo in 31 days in Copacabana, the president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), Jacques Rogge, a summary of his visit to Rio The manager said he already knew everything that was happening in the advance of the works for the 2016 Games, and revealed the real reason for his visit: to meet people.

In reality, Rogge has demonstrated that it was the much vaunted unity of the three levels of government was a reality. And failed. He left impressed.

In his four days, the mayor of Rio, Eduardo Paes and Gov. Sergio Cabral Filho endeavored to show the excitement and commitment to promote the Games Rio 2016.

And on Saturday, Rogge was treated for head of state to attend the inauguration of President Roussef, who also mortgaged to support the Games, as reported in the previous post.

- The most important thing was to know the people because the Games are made by people. And finding such support. In addition to the public people, Nuzman and his team are fantastic. They know what needs to be done. And yet confirmed the quality of the people - said Rogge.

I think it would be nice to summarize what Rio has done so far. Here are the most important actions that I have seen taken to deliver what was promised. If you know more actions, feel free to add to the list:

Transports:

- BRT Transcarioca (called T5 in the bid book) -> Targeted for 4Q13

- 1st section (Barra - Penha)

- Demolitions being finalized.

- Construction scheduled to start on 1Q11.

- 2nd section (Penha - Rio Intl Airport)

- Project finalized

- Tender to be published

- BRT Transoeste (covers part of the former Barra-Zona Sul BRT) -> Targeted for 3Q12

- Construction under way.

- Main bridges to avoid intersection to be delivered in 1Q11.

- BRT Transolimpica (called C-Link in the bid book) -> Targeted for 2015

- Project finalized.

- Tender to be published.

- Subway Line 4 (Barra- Gávea, covers part of the former Barra- Zona Sul BRT) -> Targeted for 2015

- Under construction

- Subway Line 1 (Ipanema- Gávea, covers part of the former Barra- Zona Sul BRT) -> Targeted for 2015

- Studies to define the path are under way.

- Duplication of Avenida Niemeyer

- Not started.

- Renovation of the surroundings of the JH Stadium.

- Removed houses have been notified for the demolition to start.

Venues:

- Maracanã refurbishment -> Targeted for 4Q2012

- Demolition of the lower ring is being finalized.

- Constructions to begin in 1Q11.

- OTC and Olympic park construction (includes Aquatic Center, Field Hokey Center, Tennis Center, the OTC 4 halls, the MPC and the IBC)

- International competition to design the facilities was launched.

- The new auto-racing track project is being finalized. (A requirement for the start of the OTC construction is that the current racing track is replaced ny a new one).

- Riocentro Hall 6 construction

- No news

- Athletes park construction

- To be constructed to host RockInRio in September 2011.

- X Park construction

- No news

- JH Stadium upgrade -> Targeted for 3Q2015

- Planned to start on 2013 after the delivery of Maracanã.

Accommodation:

- Olympic Village

- Construction started

- Media Village (Barra)

- No news

- Media Village (Port)

- International competition for the design launched.

- Hotels

- Several hotel groups have initiated projects in the city, including Accor and Hilton.

- 3 major hotels are being restored (former Méridien, Gloria and Hotel Nacional)

- Several hotel groups are in the process of acquiring land to build new hotels, including Hyatt and Four Seasons.

- Port

- No news if the renovations of the docks was inside the tender for the Port District PPP.

Urbanization:

- PPP was assigned to carry the renovation of the Port District, including the creation of new Light Rail lines, expansion of the road network and the demolition of a highway to be replaced by an underground tunnel.

As far as I know those are the main actions promoted so far.

I think it would be nice to summarize what Rio has done so far. Here are the most important actions that I have seen taken to deliver what was promised. If you know more actions, feel free to add to the list:

Transports:

- BRT Transcarioca (called T5 in the bid book) -> Targeted for 4Q13

- 1st section (Barra - Penha)

- Demolitions being finalized.

- Construction scheduled to start on 1Q11.

- 2nd section (Penha - Rio Intl Airport)

- Project finalized

- Tender to be published

- BRT Transoeste (covers part of the former Barra-Zona Sul BRT) -> Targeted for 3Q12

- Construction under way.

- Main bridges to avoid intersection to be delivered in 1Q11.

- BRT Transolimpica (called C-Link in the bid book) -> Targeted for 2015

- Project finalized.

- Tender to be published.

- Subway Line 4 (Barra- Gávea, covers part of the former Barra- Zona Sul BRT) -> Targeted for 2015

- Under construction

- Subway Line 1 (Ipanema- Gávea, covers part of the former Barra- Zona Sul BRT) -> Targeted for 2015

- Studies to define the path are under way.

- Duplication of Avenida Niemeyer

- Not started.

- Renovation of the surroundings of the JH Stadium.

- Removed houses have been notified for the demolition to start.

Venues:

- Maracanã refurbishment -> Targeted for 4Q2012

- Demolition of the lower ring is being finalized.

- Constructions to begin in 1Q11.

- OTC and Olympic park construction (includes Aquatic Center, Field Hokey Center, Tennis Center, the OTC 4 halls, the MPC and the IBC)

- International competition to design the facilities was launched.

- The new auto-racing track project is being finalized. (A requirement for the start of the OTC construction is that the current racing track is replaced ny a new one).

- Riocentro Hall 6 construction

- No news

- Athletes park construction

- To be constructed to host RockInRio in September 2011.

- X Park construction

- No news

- JH Stadium upgrade -> Targeted for 3Q2015

- Planned to start on 2013 after the delivery of Maracanã.

Accommodation:

- Olympic Village

- Construction started

- Media Village (Barra)

- No news

- Media Village (Port)

- International competition for the design launched.

- Hotels

- Several hotel groups have initiated projects in the city, including Accor and Hilton.

- 3 major hotels are being restored (former Méridien, Gloria and Hotel Nacional)

- Several hotel groups are in the process of acquiring land to build new hotels, including Hyatt and Four Seasons.

- Port

- No news if the renovations of the docks was inside the tender for the Port District PPP.

Urbanization:

- PPP was assigned to carry the renovation of the Port District, including the creation of new Light Rail lines, expansion of the road network and the demolition of a highway to be replaced by an underground tunnel.

As far as I know those are the main actions promoted so far.

Yep, I think this is pretty much all. I think you might add that the surroundings of the Maracana Stadium will also be under renovation.

DannyelBrazil user_popup.png As the slogan says: "Live your passion" - Wow, Rio 2016 threads are bombing!

I was presuming by your status update that it had

I think this is not the definitive... This is the bid logo. smile.gif

Theduplication of Avenida Niemeyer is going to be a difficult job.

The duplication of Avenida Niemeyer is challenging but not that difficult. Most of it is carved in stone, so they could cut the mountain and/ or create an elevated extension on one of the sides. Most of the road length has no construction, so the costs of buying land should not be an issue, unlike other options.

It can be very difficult to widen. Also, which highway in the Port District will be replaced by an underground tunnel?

"Elavado da Perimetral" - The one that runs parallel to the shore line.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't say when. I said how. What is the port area going to have after its redevelopment?

Rio city hall has a website for how the works have been done and how it will look:

http://www.portomaravilhario.com.br/

Enjoy! =]