Rio-2016 News

O Globo, Rio de Janeiro's most important newspaper, published in its online edition today, police sources said they are searching for a truck with 600kg of explosives to be used by drugdealers in atacks against authorities and landmarks of the city. According to the newspaper, the explosives were stolen in São Paulo and Rio Grande do Sul.It is said Governor Sergio Cabral has asked for federal help to face this threat.

Plz do not exagerate, let's keep a serious discussion here, instead of believe in Twitter rumors or things like that.

Yes there is a problem of violence in Rio. For decades violence and the slums didn't have any policy focus at them. For the first time in decades, there is a policy to solve the problem of violence, that is BIG on the city especially the peripheric areas. What is happen now is the response of the gangs trying to cause the chaos and the terror, they dont have especific objectives on this acts, they want to spread the chaos, and doing this pressure the public opinion against the police and politicians.

What shock us, is that for the first time this is violence and this "war" is live on the tv. Like the gulf war in 1991 (CNN effect) the violence can be seen what is happen at the same moment, is like a "big brother". The point here, is that politicians during last decades let the situation to become extreme like is now, but now finally i believe that we really have a chance to solve this problems on the next years.

Every action is accompanied by a reaction. When we destroy an anthill, the ants become agitated. When the leukocytes attack the bacterias, we have a fever at first, but then then we're better. The police are occupying areas that were the domain of criminals. I see it as a desperate move, but this tactic of burning vehicles will not intimidate the police. The police are doing their part and reacting to attacks. We will suffer these inconveniences now but in four years the situation will improve. I hope.

The drugdealers lost all selling points in South Zone (except Vidigal-Rocinha) and Greater Tijuca - both, the most profitable areas for them. All favelas in these regions were cleaned-up.

They are reacting, and they are desperate and running away when Police comes. It's sad we need a war to solve the problem, but something must be done!!!

Yeah, media is loving to air the first "war on drugs" live on TV. People in my job in Sao Paulo are really "euphoric" about this - disgusting.

Other point here is: Drugdealers are really running from police. And the Army is already in Rio to keep the security.

My opinion: "Senta bala nesses filhos da puta"

It's time to get these sob while they are out of the favelas and kill all of them! Shoot them all.

The war in Rio continues...  

BBC 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11852588

Brazilian soldiers deployed to Rio favela Soldiers on patrol in Rio Soldiers have blocked off the entrances to the Alemao and Penha neighbourhoods  

Brazilian soldiers have joined forces with police in Rio de Janeiro to drive out suspected drug traffickers from one of the city's poor areas.  Defence Minister Nelson Jobim said he had deployed 800 soldiers, 10 armoured vehicles and two helicopters to gain control of the Penha and Alemao areas.  Hundreds of suspected gang members were seen fleeing there after police took control of neighbouring Vila Cruzeiro.  Thirty-five people are reported to have died in six days of clashes. 'Necessary confrontation'  Mr Jobim told a news conference that "the confrontation is necessary so we can have a state in peace".  Police said Thiago Ferreira Faria, 24, whom they accuse of leading a drugs ring in the Alemao area of Rio, was shot dead on Friday during the confrontation.  At least three soldiers and six civilians were injured, among them a two-year-old girl hit by a bullet in her arm.  Gen Fernando Sardemberg, one of the commanders deployed to Alemao, told Brazilian newspaper O Globo the soldiers were surrounding the neighbourhood to prevent the alleged gang members from fleeing, but stressed they would not harass local residents or motorists.  And spokesman for the military Enio Zanan said that even though the soldiers had been fired upon, they had not fired back out of fear of hitting civilians.  The massive military deployment comes a day after the authorities took control of the Vila Cruzeiro neighbourhood, a move Rio state governor Sergio Cabral called "historic".  Rio's favelas have for years been controlled by heavily armed drug-trafficking gangs.  The city's pacification programme is aimed at improving security and the rule of law in the run-up to Brazil's hosting of the football World Cup in 2014 and Rio's staging of the Olympic Games two years later.

I arrived in Rio de Janiero yesterday and was a bit nervous given the discussions in the media regarding the recent outbreak of violence but after spending the past 24 hours here, I have to say that the media has made this story far worse than it was. The Brazilian media took this story and turned it into a 24 hour event that got all media coverage all the time. And of course the international press picked up the stories and ran with it as well. Here in the Zona Sul (Copa, Ipanema, etc..) all is normal. A few extra police officers on the street but nothing strange. I believe in the years leading up to 2014 and 2016, the police here are really going to rid the city of the drug gangs but as the saying goes, it's always darkest right before the sun rises and that is what is happening - we'll see some nasty blowups like what happened this week over the next few years but it's for the better. This is an amazing city, an amazing country and improving security for all its citizens is a very welcome thing!

Seems that life is back to normal here in the Cidade Maravillosa... the beaches are packed, the men are gorgeous, and the sun is shining so bright! God bless Rio!!!!

• Like 3

Welcome to Brazil. Have a nice stay. If I could help with some tips, please, ask me. It'll be a honour.

Due the recent events, avoid the North Zone and to stay near Rocinha area. Besides that, just use common sense and your visit to Rio will be Ok, like it is for millions of tourists every year.

May I give you a good tip? Try the "Medalhão a Piamontesa" at La Mole chain of restaurants in Rio. You will love it.

Unveil Pereira the Piranha already and everything will be OK!!

No doubts! wink.gif

Edited by DannyelBrazil

I arrived in Rio de Janiero yesterday and was a bit nervous given the discussions in the media regarding the recent outbreak of violence but after spending the past 24 hours here, I have to say that the media has made this story far worse than it was. The Brazilian media took this story and turned it into a 24 hour event that got all media coverage all the time. And of course the international press picked up the stories and ran with it as well. Here in the Zona Sul (Copa, Ipanema, etc..) all is normal. A few extra police officers on the street but nothing strange. I believe in the years leading up to 2014 and 2016, the police here are really going to rid the city of the drug gangs but as the saying goes, it's always darkest right before the sun rises and that is what is happening - we'll see some nasty blowups like what happened this week over the next few years but it's for the better. This is an amazing city, an amazing country and improving security for all its citizens is a very welcome thing!

Seems that life is back to normal here in the Cidade Maravillosa... the beaches are packed, the men are gorgeous, and the sun is shining so bright! God bless Rio!!!!

"the police here are really going to rid the city of the drug gangs but as the saying goes, it's always darkest right before the sun rises and that is what is happening - we'll see some nasty blowups like what happened this week over the next few years but it's for the better." is exactly what is happening

Police invaded and now controls the Complexo do Alemão favelas, maybe, the most dangerous place in Rio (well, until yesterday). Lots of criminals were arrested, indeed some fugitives.

Polls from Rio and other Brazilian newspapers shows that the huge majority of citizens support the efforts on stop the drugdealers of Rio.

Plz do not exagerate, let's keep a serious discussion here, instead of believe in Twitter rumors or things like that.

Yes there is a problem of violence in Rio. For decades violence and the slums didn't have any policy focus at them. For the first time in decades, there is a policy to solve the problem of violence, that is BIG on the city especially the peripheric areas. What is happen now is the response of the gangs trying to cause the chaos and the terror, they dont have especific objectives on this acts, they want to spread the chaos, and doing this pressure the public opinion against the police and politicians.

What shock us, is that for the first time this is violence and this "war" is live on the tv. Like the gulf war in 1991 (CNN effect) the violence can be seen what is happen at the same moment, is like a "big brother". The point here, is that politicians during last decades let the situation to become extreme like is now, but now finally i believe that we really have a chance to solve this problems on the next years.

I did not exagerated. I just posted what O Globo had published that day. Mr. Beltrame denied there was such a truck. However, as you certainly know, it was said by the Police that some Garis found explosives in two different places while cleaning the streets and that the explosives were probabily to be used to destroy cars and buses. So, it was not a rumor.

I want to apologize because I did not believe the Government would give such a strong, direct response to drugdealers, and you can easily understand my position. For decades nothing was done. If you had asked the average cariocas last week whether they trusted the Police or not, the answer would be a ressounding "NO". Today, people support the Police and the Government because they have done what our people expected for years and years. I hope they will not stop fighting drugdealers. Complexo do Alemão, although very important and iconic in this war, is not the only place in Rio that needs similar actions. I am not a strategist, but I think if it was possible - and I am sure it is not - this would the right moment to act in other areas, like Vidigal, Rocinha and so on, to seize the timing, the morale of the troops and the population support. This is a good political moment too since President Lula is eager to clean the way for Mrs. Dilma administration.

I repeat now proudly: IOC, this is the city you chose to host the SOG in 2016. But now I think you don't need to have a "B" plan anymore. The Government and the Police finally understood the nature of their constitutional duties.

• Like 1

I repeat now proudly: IOC, this is the city you chose to host the SOG in 2016. But now I think you don't need to have a "B" plan anymore. The Government and the Police finally understood the nature of their constitutional duties.

Good. Maybe the action of government is because the Olympics and the World Cup. They need to "clean-up" the city before the events. Brazilian are so keen on sports and the people will never forgive any politician in charge if the events fails.

I'm optimistic but realist. They won the first battle, the war is not won.

The media is making a big fuss about it because of the unprecedent reaction of the government and, more important, the support of the public. You might not realize but this is a historical moment for Rio. I lived there for 30 years, before I moved out. I could not take my eyes off the TV this weekend even several miles away from my home city. The media coverage is a tribute to the amazing job being done.

Rio will not need ships to fill IOC requirements on accomodations.

New hotels are already building enough rooms to be ready in 2016.

http://oglobo.globo.com/economia/mat/2010/11/29/rio-nao-precisara-hospedar-turistas-em-navios-nos-jogos-de-2016-indica-setor-hoteleiro-923146062.asp

(in Portuguese)

RIO - Since Rio was chosen to host the 2016 Olympic Games, nine thousand new hotel rooms were advertised in the city. About five thousand are already under construction or projects initiated and four thousand are in planning, said the president of the Brazilian Association of Hotels (ABIH), Brito Alvaro Bezerra de Mello, in another edition of River City Forum Headquarters - Infrastructure: Challenges and Opportunities, sponsored Monday by the newspapers O Globo and "Extra." He believes the city will have no trouble reaching the targets in the number of beds for the 2014 World Cup (40 000) and the 2016 Olympics (50000):

- The trend is favorable, the new rules to encourage city are paying off, I have no doubt that surpass those goals. What still worries me for the games, really, are the airports. We are far from having terminals with the quality of First World - said, indicating that the city would not have put cruise ships on the coast to reach the total of rooms required for the Games.

Bezerra de Mello said at the event sponsored by Bradesco and CCR, the environment is suitable and that many businesses are being analyzed in the region of Porto and Barra, but regrets the lack of areas in the south for new ventures. He said that after the Olympics, the number of people working in the tourism chain can double to 200 000 in the State of Rio

Alexandre Sampaio, president of the Brazilian Federation of Housing and Food, said the environment is favorable to the enterprises after the tax exemptions given by the city and the resumption of BNDES financing for the sector. But he said it is to think about sustainable use of hotels.

- The river needs a big event for months. We have Carnival and New Year's Eve, but there are few events in July, for example. The ideal is to create something cultural, like theater or music - said Sampson, who plans to hold a meeting with the hundred biggest events organizers in Rio in 2011.

For foreigners, Rio is ready for the Olympics in shooting sports

Delegations vying World Military Shooting are impressed with the mode structure for the National Shooting Centre

Rio de Janeiro has less than a year to receive the World Military Games (16 to July 24, 2011) and less than six years until the 2016 Olympics. But the structure to dispute the evidence of shooting sports is one less worry for the authorities. In town for the 45th World Military Shooting Championship, delegations from various countries were impressed with the structure for the sport.

- It is something fantastic. We were impressed with the quality of the structure. It is practically a copy of what I saw in Sydney Olympics in 2000. I think it is already prepared. The structure of shooting is great - said Alain Viaene, coach of the Belgian delegation.

Sanjeev Rajput, India's competitor in the 300m rifle, agrees that the structure of the National Shooting Centre, in the Olympic Deodoro leaves nothing due to local disputes outside of Brazil, despite making little remarks.

- It is a global structure. Every building, every structure is of international standard, and is very beautiful. For the contest is almost ready, but I think you need a little more planning to accommodate spectators and some things for the athletes - said the Indian.

The Finn Juha Rutonen, who is also competing in the 300m rifle, was another to say that the structure for sport shooting in Rio de Janeiro is ready to receive any competition.

- You are very good. I think this is done. In the 25m pistol, is a bit noisy, but the Olympics size is smaller and may not be a problem.

The Olympic Village began construction this month. The filling of land, located in Barra da Tijuca, Zona Oeste, in the ancient land where it was held the Rock in Rio 2, is in full swing.

The decision to start up the Village, the six years of the Games, aims to show the International Olympic Committee (IOC) that Brazil is committed to the achievement of the competition.

And the Olympic Village will be the main attraction of the forthcoming visit of the IOC Coordination Commission for the month of December. On occasion, the model will be revealed of the buildings and engineers can visit the site.

One of Brazil's most feared drug lords shocked police when they raided his Rio De Janeiro home - and found an entire room dedicated to teen pop sensation Justin Bieber.

During the raid on the home of suspect Luciano Martiniano da Silva - better known as Pizzou - officers found stacks of illegal drugs and piles of weapons.

But it was the room filled with memorabilia of the 16-year-old Somebody To Love star, that left them stunned.

The kingpin had installed a huge hand-painted mosaic of Bieber across one wall and plastered another with posters of the Canadian pop singer.

The mosaic features Bieber's face, with his signature haircut, as well as the words 'One Time' - the name of a song by the teen idol.

'I've never seen anything like it,' said police spokesman Marcos Vinicius Braga after the raid in Rio.

More than 2,500 officers were involved in a number of raids on two of Rio’s most dangerous slums, including da Silva’s house.

According to local reports, Pizzou fled the mansion before the raid. - People

TIME-

Eleven tons of marijuana, a stockpile of semi-automatic weapons—and a mural of Justin Bieber? Welcome to the dangerous world of Rio's drug trade.

On Sunday, more than 2,000 heavily armed forces raided Complexo do Alemao, Rio de Janeiro's most notorious shantytown, hoping to drive out the drug cartels that control the area's 70,000 impoverished residents. The Guardian newspaper reports that amid the skirmishes—which left at least 50 people dead—drug lords disguised themselves as evangelical preachers and fled the neighborhood through sewers.

Police began combing through the drug mob's abandoned houses almost immediately and uncovered lavish accommodations replete with swimming pools, saunas and flat-screen televisions. In the home of "Pezao"—one of the country's most-feared traffickers—they found several tons of drugs, one missile and a hand-painted mosaic of the Biebs. An adjacent wall also featured several posters of the Canadian pop star.

Brazilian news outlet R7 published a photo of the mural here.

NewsFeed has not yet confirmed Pezao's first words when forces stormed his home. Our money is on "Baby, baby, baby noo...." - TIME

Gotta love the Beev