EURO 2012 - Qualification

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, it would be disappointing if the same old teams (Croatia, Czech Republic, Portugal, Turkey) survived the play-offs and host Ukraine was the only "newbie" at the EURO.

I cross my fingers especially for Bosnia and Herzegovina and Ireland. They were so close already in past qualifiers, they simply have to make it this time! Montenegro's and Estonia's qualification would also be a great story but sports-wise, I have some doubts at least about Montenegro whether it would be good if they could participate in the EURO. Don't they play an awfully defensive style?

So my favourite field of the "final four finalists" would be:

Bosnia and Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Estonia, Ireland.

From the four classic EURO teams, I chose the Czechs because they are simply not as despicable as the Croatian, Portuguese and Turkish teams and/or followerships.

No, Poland participated already in 2008. They were even in Germany's group -- the German team had its opening match against Poland.

Oh yea, forgot about that, I just remember seeing zero apperances by Poland's name a few times. Must have been years ago.

What of Armenia? They are out, losing to the Republic 2-1. And Estonia is going to be canon fodder for Croatia, Portugal or the Czech Republic. Nothing from Estonia's record would point to them being able to win a tie.

Estonia and Armenia were in the second last pot and on the verge on being on the last pot during the draw. The remarkable performance of these two countries has to be commended.

I think that all four play-off pairings are very interesting.

It's good that at least Turkey or Croatia won't qualify, since one has to eliminate the other.

Ireland stands a good chance of qualifying, with maybe the weakest of all eight play-off teams playing against them.

The Czechs -- which are also not terribly strong currently -- could struggle a lot against a tough Montenegrin side.

And Bosnia and Herzegovina has the great chance to take revenge on Portugal's team after their defeat in the 2010 World Cup play-offs.

I'm very satisfied about this result!

• 4 weeks later...

this friday is the final play-off of which the final four nations that will play this coming summer in Poland and Ukraine and just give me your thoughts of which final four nations you think will play in Euro 2012?

I want Estonia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Turkey, and Montenegro to advance. However, I predict Turkey, Montenegro, Portugal and Ireland to advance.

Turkey has lost 0-3 against Croatia on home soil. So Croatia has to catch a terrible, terrible day to lose their EURO ticket in front of their audience on Tuesday.

Bosnia and Herzegovina and Portugal have scored no goals. So the decisive match will definitely be the match on Tuesday in Lisbon, with a slight advantage (of course) for the home team Portugal.

The Czechs are leading 1-0 over Montenegro with five minutes of regular time to go.

Ireland is still leading 1-0 against Estonia after 56 minutes.

The Czech Republic wins 2-0 against Montenegro. The 2-0 by Sivok in stoppage time has made it considerably harder for Montenegro to gain the EURO ticket in front of their audience on Tuesday. But let's wait and see.

And Jonathan Walters scores the 2-0 for Ireland in Tallinn! Wonderful!

Great for Ireland!!! Let's hope Bosnia defeats portugal in Lisobon... Or a draw by 1 or more goal!! My bets: (2nd legs only)

Croatia-Turkey 1-0

Portugal-Bosnia 1-2

Montenegro-Czech Rep 2-0 (we will se penalties :D)

Ireland-Estonia 2-0

Archived