Armenia: 14

Slovakia: 14

Estonia: 13

Serbia: 14

Bosnia: 16

France: 17

Romania: 12

Netherlands: minimum of 18 to a maximum of 24

Sweden: 18, if Sweden finishes with 18 points they will be group winners.

Hungary: 15

Croatia: 19 (but if they obtain 19 points it will mean they are the group winners), if they are not the group winners they will have 16

Greece: 12 to 18, but if they have an 18 it would mean they are the group winners as they would have defeated Croatia and won the group and Croatia would finish with a maximum of 16.

England: Same deal, they can finish with 18 to 20 points but they would mean they are the group winners

Montenegro: 17

Switzerland: 14

Portugal: 19 but group winners, not the group winner they will finish with 13 or 16

Denmark: 19 as group winners, 13 or 16 as non-group winner

Norway: 16

Czech Republic: 16

Scotland: 14

So yes, Netherlands with their 18 points in comparison to all groups has secured qualification. They need one point to secure victory of the group, but not for qualification.

You should check your numbers, they seem to be old. The Netherlands already have 24 points and Croatia already has 19 points as well, with a maximum of 25 points to be gained.

See here: http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro2012/standings/index.html

Furthermore, as I already wrote above, it's not the point totals that count for the role as "best second-ranked team" but the performance of the respective second-rank team against the other four best teams of its group is what counts.

By all media reports, the Netherlands are not fully qualified yet. They need one more point to secure it -- or a defeat or draw of Sweden against Finland on October 7.

Also UEFA itself reports that -- and they should know best:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro2012/matches/season=2012/round=15171/match=2002060/postmatch/report/index.html#netherlands+there

Quote: "The Netherlands are on the verge of a finals place after Kevin Strootman and Luuk de Jong secured an eighth straight Group E victory."

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should check your numbers, they seem to be old. The Netherlands already have 24 points and Croatia already has 19 points as well, with a maximum of 25 points to be gained.

See here: http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro2012/standings/index.html

Furthermore, as I already wrote above, it's not the point totals that count for the role as "best second-ranked team" but the performance of the respective second-rank team against the other four best teams of its group is what counts.

By all media reports, the Netherlands are not fully qualified yet. They need one more point to secure it -- or a defeat or draw of Sweden against Finland on October 7.

Also UEFA itself reports that -- and they should know best:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro2012/matches/season=2012/round=15171/match=2002060/postmatch/report/index.html#netherlands+there

Quote: "The Netherlands are on the verge of a finals place after Kevin Strootman and Luuk de Jong secured an eighth straight Group E victory."

OMG you are dense. The numbers are based on eliminating the losest ranked team in every group. So every team has a different point total then the group point total because two games are not included for the teams that are in groups of 6.

Based on every possible scenerio (all of which I have outlined) the Netherlands has qualified. How it has qualified is not certain, but it has qualified. If the Netherlands loses their final two games in the group they would finish with 24 points, in the comparison to all other groups they would have 18 points because the two wins against San Marino will be eliminated. No other team but Sweden can obtain that many points with the losest ranked team removed. So if Sweden wins out and the Dutch lose out, the group winner will be based on the tie-breaking rules and the second place team will automatically qualify as the best second placee team.

OMG you are dense. The numbers are based on eliminating the losest ranked team in every group.

That wasn't recognisable for me. Obviously UEFA has done its calculations meanwhile and noticed that the Netherlands are in fact qualified:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro2012/news/newsid=1674177.html#dutch+secure+2012+berth

I would say that that system is too complicated, if even the inventors of that system have to take so much time to see through it.

So the big guns of Europe have qualified. Netherlands, Spain, Italy and Germany.

I'm sorry but despite our poor recent showing, i still consider France to be one of the big guns in Europe. We have qualified for all the finals for 17 years and winning one world cup, one euro and reaching the world cup final loosing to penalties (plus in our history 3 more world cup semis a few euro ones including another victory), this is as good as Spain in all their history and better than the Netherlands.

I cannot deny the 4 of them are playing better than us since 2008 & i couldn't agree more when everybody says we probably won't pass the group phase but still i think that with our players (all playing in top club in europe) and with a little more work, we have a team able to beat anyone in Europe but probably the 4 you mention.

Besides even if they didn't do anything spectacular either recently, i believe England & Portugal are two teams who are in general of a level much higher than the rest of Europe and for what i know, one of them, even the two can reach the semis and maybe even the final.

I think the party in Poland & Ukraine would be much much less fun without the 3 of us.

I'm sorry but despite our poor recent showing, i still consider France to be one of the big guns in Europe. We have qualified for all the finals for 17 years and winning one world cup, one euro and reaching the world cup final loosing to penalties (plus in our history 3 more world cup semis a few euro ones including another victory), this is as good as Spain in all their history and better than the Netherlands.

Yes, but titles of the past are not everything. The current performance is also highly important for the "status" of a team. And regarding that, I wouldn't call France a big gun, although it's certainly still one of the top European teams. By the way: France even won two EUROs (1984 and 2000). ;)

I cannot deny the 4 of them are playing better than us since 2008 & i couldn't agree more when everybody says we probably won't pass the group phase but still i think that with our players (all playing in top club in europe) and with a little more work, we have a team able to beat anyone in Europe but probably the 4 you mention.

And that exactly is the reason why I wouldn't consider France a big gun anymore. Exactly because it has to do more work and exactly because it's probable that it gets eliminated already in the group phase. By the way, I personally wouldn't count Italy as a big gun either, regarding their poor showings at the most recent World Cup and also their mostly weak performances in the current EURO qualifiers (2-1 against Estonia, 0-0 against Northern Ireland, 1-0 twice against Slovenia and even 1-0 against the Faroe Islands!). I mean, there is a reason why they are only 7th in the world right now.

Besides even if they didn't do anything spectacular either recently, i believe England & Portugal are two teams who are in general of a level much higher than the rest of Europe and for what i know, one of them, even the two can reach the semis and maybe even the final.

I think the party in Poland & Ukraine would be much much less fun without the 3 of us.

One can't deny that, although the "fun" (in terms of Portugal at least) sometimes rather is rage about diving, drama and especially the presence of "I want to beat his face all day long" Cristiano Ronaldo.

• 4 weeks later...

The draw for the UEFA EURO 2012 final tournament will be made in Kyiv on 2 December

December date for EURO finals draw in Kyiv

Published: Monday 3 October 2011, 17.00CET

The UEFA EURO 2012 final tournament draw will take place at the Ukraine Palace of Arts in the Ukrainian capital Kyiv on 2 December, starting at 18.00CET (20.00 local time).

The 16 teams that will participate in the EURO finals will be divided into four groups of four teams each (Groups A to D).

Four seeding pots will be created for the purpose of the draw, with host associations Poland and Ukraine being top seeds – Poland as A1, Ukraine as D1. Title holders Spain will also be a top seed, together with the team with the highest national team coefficient ranking as established at the conclusion of the qualifying play-offs

The other 12 finalist sides will be allocated to the remaining three pots according to their coefficients.

The draw will begin with Pot 1 in order to fill position one – i.e. the top seeds – in Groups B and C. The proceedings will continue with Pot 4, from which one team will be allocated to each group consecutively, from Group A to Group D. This procedure will then be repeated for Pot 3 and finally for Pot 2

UEFA

goal for Turkey

Turkey vs. Germany 1:2

Balta 78 min

When Turkey scores one more time - Turkey has it in its own hand in the last match to qualify

The crowd is back

corner for Germany

7 minutes to go

Germany has the ball

penalty for GErmany

Penalty for Germany

SChweinsteiner

Schweinsteiner scored

Türkiye vs. Deuschland 1:3

GROUP A

GERMANY 27

Belgium 15

Turkey 14

Oct 11

Kazakhstan vs Austria

Germany vs. Belgium

Turkey vs. Azerbaijan

GROUP B

Russia 20

Ireland 18

Armenia 17

Oct 11

Russia vs. Andorra

Ireland vs. Armenia

Macedonia vs. Slovakia

GROUP C

ITALY 23

Estonia 16

Serbia 15

Oct 11

Italy vs. Northern Ireland

Slovenia vs. Serbia

GROUP D

France 20

Bosnia and Herzegovina 19

Oct 11

France vs. Bosnia and Herzegovina

Albania vs. Romania

GROUP E

NETHERLANDS 27

Sweden 21

Oct 11

Sweden vs. Netherlands

Hungary vs. Finland

Moldova vs. San Marino

GROUP F

Greece 21

Croatia 19

Oct 11

Croatia vs. Latvia

Georgia vs. Greece

Malta vs. Israel

GROUP G

ENGLAND 18

Montenegro 12

Oct 11

Switzerland vs. Montenegro

Bulgaria vs. Wales

GROUP H

Portugal 16

Denmark 16

Norway 13

Oct 11

Denmark vs. Portugal

Norway vs. Cyprus

GROUP I

SPAIN 21

Czechia 10

Scotland 8

Oct 8

Liechtenstein vs. Scotland

Oct 11

Spain vs. Scotland

Lithuania vs. Czechia

The best runner-up of all groups qualifies directly - the last four are qualfying through play-offs between the runner ups...

Germany has set a new record in terms of qualication points: They have won 3-1 against Belgium in their final qualifier match. That means they have won all ten qualifying matches, making a total of 30 points! Fantastic! I just hope this marvellous performance in the qualifiers will also translate to a marvellous performance at the EURO itself.

Meanwhile, Russia is set to become the next team qualifying directly for EURO 2012, leading 4-0 against Andorra after the first half and thus on their way to secure the top spot in group B. Ireland is leading 1-0 against Armenia after the first half; Armenia is Ireland's rival for the relegation spot. I hope that Ireland will make it to the relegation and will also survive the relegation this time, after the disgraceful Thierry Henry handball in the 2010 World Cup relegation which robbed them their World Cup spot.

Charisteas has secured Greece's direct qualification for the EURO, scoring the decisive 2-1 in the 85th minute against Georgia. Rival Croatia has won 2-0 against Latvia, but that hasn't helped them to the top spot in group F, due to Greece's last minute victory. So Croatia will have to play the relegation now.

Meanwhile, Denmark could snatch the top spot in group H away from Portugal. The Danish are leading 1-0 against Portugal in front of their home crowd after 38 minutes. I hope that they'll succeed.

The last decision about a group winner will be made in St. Denis' Stade de France where group D's top competitors France and Bosnia and Herzegovina will play a true final in only four minutes' time.

Turkey wins 1-0 against Azerbaijan, thus securing their spot in the relegation. The brave Belgians (whom I would have preferred over the Turkish) are out and will have to watch EURO 2012 on TV!

And Bosnia and Herzegovina lead 1-0 over France, thus France is set only for the play-offs right now and B&H is set for direct qualification. I'll cross my fingers that France wouldn't meet Ireland again for the play-offs... :angry:

Anyway, Ireland has secured the play-offs, winning 2-1 against Armenia. As expected, Russia has defended the top spot in group B with a 6-0 victory over Andorra and is now directly qualified.

Already now, with 30 minutes still to be played, it's certain that the Czech Republic has snatched the play-off spot in group I away from Scotland. Scotland is trailing 0-3 against Spain in Alicante while the Czechs are leading 3-0 against Lithuania in Kaunas.

So the new list is:

Qualified:

England

Germany

Greece

Italy

Netherlands

Poland

Russia

Spain

Ukraine

Play-offs:

Croatia

Czech Republic

Ireland

Montenegro

Turkey

Bosnia and Herzegovina, Denmark and Sweden (as probable best second-placed team, with its 3-2 lead against the Netherlands) are set to become the three remaining teams qualifying directly for EURO 2012.

Estonia, France and Portugal could be the remaining three play-off teams.

Sweden wins 3-2 against the Netherlands, securing direct qualification!

And the Netherlands miss the clean record of winning all ten qualifiers.

And Denmark has also qualified directly, sending Portugal to the play-offs with their 2-1 victory! Cristiano Ronaldo scored for the Portuguese in additional time, but it was too late to draw even.

The new list:

Qualified:

Denmark

England

Germany

Greece

Italy

Netherlands

Poland

Russia

Spain

Sweden

Ukraine

Play-offs:

Croatia

Czech Republic

Ireland

Montenegro

Portugal

Turkey

Bosnia and Herzegovina is the last team that is on its way to direct qualification right now, still leading 1-0 against France after 59 minutes.

So France could be in the play-offs only. Estonia is set to be the eighth play-off team because rival Serbia is struggling against Slovenia, trailing 0-1.

Serbia is out, losing 0-1 against Slovenia -- Estonia is in the play-offs for a major tournament for the first time in its history.

And in the France v. Bosnia and Herzegovina match, there are only eight minutes of regular time left to be played. If France could maintain the draw or even win the match, the only good thing about it would be that they wouldn't meet Ireland at the play-offs again...

C'est fini! France is directly qualified, Bosnia and Herzegovina is in the play-offs, after a 1-1 draw between both teams.

So this is the final list with all qualified teams and all play-off participants:

Qualified:

Denmark

England

France

Germany

Greece

Italy

Netherlands

Poland

Russia

Spain

Sweden

Ukraine

Play-offs (for the four final spots at EURO 2012, staged on November 11 and 15):

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Croatia

Czech Republic

Estonia

Ireland

Montenegro

Portugal

Turkey

Archived