EURO 2012 - Qualification

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Executive Committee approves EURO match list

Published: Monday 4 October 2010, 15.42CET

The UEFA Executive Committee today completed its meeting in Minsk, Belarus, and approved the official match schedule for the forthcoming UEFA EURO 2012 final round between 8 June and 1 July 2012 in Poland and Ukraine.

In Poland, Wroclaw and Poznan will host three group stage matches, while Gdansk will stage three group stage matches and a quarter-final. Warsaw will host three group stage fixtures, including the opening Group A game featuring Poland, a quarter-final and a semi-final. Poland will play their second group match in Warsaw, and their third in Wroclaw.

In Ukraine, Kharkiv and Lviv will stage three group stage matches. Donetsk will host three group stage games, a quarter-final and a semi-final. Kyiv will be the venue for three group stage matches, a quarter-final and the UEFA EURO 2012 final. Ukraine will play their opening Group D fixture in Kyiv, and their other two group games in Donetsk.

UEFA

I'm impressed with Montenegro too... it would be great if they can keep that performance in the next matches.

They can and did, just beat Switzerland 1-0. They now top our group, having played one more game than England, and are coming to Wembley next week. As I said, I'll be at that match, so I'll let you know just how good Montengro are next week.

Montenegro is really a tremendous surprise.

And once more, I'm very pleased by Germany's result, although their performance tonight was a little bit shaky. But they still show that impressive offensive power. I get the impression that World Cups are much more of an inspiration for the German team than EUROs. They played splendidly at most of the matches in the first months after the 2006 World Cup, and they have shown highly convincing performances since this year's World Cup as well. I just cross my fingers that they'll not start to decrease in the last pre-EURO year, just as they did in June 2007 and the following months...

What a turbulent qualifiers night so far. Turkey was defeated by Azerbaijan, Scotland has just equalised 2-2 against Spain, and the match between Italy and Serbia had to be abandoned because Serbian fans continued to throw flares onto the field.

Italy-Serbia Euro 2012 tie abandoned after fan trouble

This will certainly cause serious trouble for the Serbian football association...

Spain wins 3-2 against Scotland. But this night has further sensations nevertheless: Belgium and Austria tie 4-4 (!) and Montenegro will leave Wembley with one point, tieing England 0-0. Montenegro still are the best team in group G! Those are stories that happen only in qualifiers, I guess. A great football evening with one huge disappointment in Genoa (namely the abandoned Italy-Serbia match).

And before I forget: Germany defeated Kazakhstan 3-0. Twelve points from four qualifiers -- great start!

By the way: Where are all the other members? Until quite recently, there was always quite a lot of traffic in this part of the forum when there was EURO or World Cup qualifiers night.

Montengro have a very effective gameplan but are the dullest footballing side I have ever seen in person. Only one team had any intention of winning tonight but England were not good enough to get through a superb defence. There's no more to it than that. It was very much like North Korea vs Brazil in the world cup if you remember that match.

• 3 weeks later...

Uefa has awarded Italy a 3-0 win over Serbia after their Euro 2012 qualifier in Genoa on 12 October was abandoned.

The Group C encounter was stopped after six minutes as Serbia fans threw missiles and fireworks on to the pitch.

Serbia have been ordered to contest their next two games behind closed doors, although the second match may eventually be played in front of fans.

Italy were also punished as the governing body hit them with a suspended one-match stadium ban.

The Italian football federation (FIGC) released a statement which confirmed the punishment as "a 3-0 victory in favour of Italy and two games behind closed doors for Serbia, of which one is conditional".

It continued: "Italy have been given a conditional one game behind closed doors. This is the decision of the disciplinary commission of Uefa which met today (Friday) in Nyon, based on the abandonment of the game between Italy and Serbia on October 12 in Genoa following the crowd unrest by Serbian fans."

There had been speculation that Serbia would face much harsher sanctions, including a possible ban from European competition.

But they have been fined 120,000 euros and they will not be allowed to take fans to their remaining three away qualifiers - against Estonia on 29 March 2011, Northern Ireland on 2 September and Slovenia on 11 October.

Italy face a 100,000 euros fine because its security operation failed to stop Serbian fans entering the Luigi Ferraris stadium with an arsenal of fireworks and flares.

The victory has lifted the Azzurri into sole possession of top spot in the group on 10 points, three clear of second-place Slovenia.

LINK

_49710231_010406145-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Dear lord...I dont care if France 2016 gives us another rooster again as a mascot, as long as is not a boy again (seriously we've already seen three Euros in a row with those, talking about lack of imagination)

Aw well, at least the branding and logo are awesome.

They are fugly (=fu..ing ugly) indeed. Before the unveiling, I defended Poland and Ukraine for apparently choosing two boys as mascots again, but these are definitely only a very, very weak copy of Austria's and Switzerland's mascots. They look like they underwent major botox treatment.

And just compare:

trix_und_flix.jpg

emmaskottchen1_DW__1256521p.jpg

Both mascot pairs have mohawk haircuts, both wear their countries' colours, both wear football dresses, both have the year of the respective EURO on their chests. So Poland and Ukraine put absolutely no effort into their mascots and simply copied Austria's and Switzerland's design even in some of the details. Two thumbs down!

They are fugly (=fu..ing ugly) indeed. Before the unveiling, I defended Poland and Ukraine for apparently choosing two boys as mascots again, but these are definitely only a very, very weak copy of Austria's and Switzerland's mascots. They look like they underwent major botox treatment.

And just compare:

trix_und_flix.jpg

emmaskottchen1_DW__1256521p.jpg

Both mascot pairs have mohawk haircuts, both wear their countries' colours, both wear football dresses, both have the year of the respective EURO on their chests. So Poland and Ukraine put absolutely no effort into their mascots and simply copied Austria's and Switzerland's design even in some of the details. Two thumbs down!

Actually, the similarities are because both mascots were done by Warner Bros. Even on the video, they show Flix and Trix handing the ballon to these two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njQhXxu3Vc0

So the fault is not of the organizing comittee but Warner for not being original.

• 2 months later...

Ukraine Euro 2012 role in jeopardy: UEFA

NYON, Switzerland — UEFA warned on Friday that Ukraine's role as joint host of the Euro 2012 finals was in jeopardy as a dispute emerged over government interference in the running of Ukrainian football.

The executive committee of European football's governing body wrote to Ukraine to warn it of the threat of suspension from European football unless it received a satisfactory response by February 4, secretary general Gianni Infantino said.

"If the FFU (Ukraine federation) is suspended from membership of UEFA, it was the unanimous view of the executive committee that it would not be tenable to play the final round of the UEFA European football championship in Ukraine in 2012," the letter said.

Ukraine are due to co-host the competition with Poland.

A suspension would sideline Ukranian clubs and the national side from European competitions.

UEFA's move followed a similar one by world football's governing body FIFA.

"Essentially it's about political interference in the running of Ukrainian football," Infantino explained after a regular meeting of UEFA's executive committee.

"We have written a letter to the football federation of Ukraine requesting the necessary steps are taken. They will have to conform by February 4," he told journalists.

"If nothing has changed then the emergency committee will have to meet to decide a suspension, or something else."

"But we are confident we can find a solution," he added.

Europe's top international tournament is due to kick off in Warsaw on June 8 next year and end with the final in Ukraine's capital Kiev on July 1.

Preparations for the event have been dogged by doubts since the joint bid by the two countries was chosen by UEFA in 2007, especially over Ukraine's capacity to build up sparse and dilapidated transport and stadium capacity in time.

In April 2010, UEFA chief Michel Platini warned the Ukrainians that if stadium plans in Kiev did not advance they would lose their host status.

However, four months later he said the ultimatum had expired.

Ukrainian officials have said Kiev's stadium should open by August 24.

Infantino said it was too early to speak of playing the final in Poland or other alternatives.

"We have a fantastic event ahead of us, everyone has to pull together and not work one against each other," he added.

Government involvement in the running of football federations is frowned upon in FIFA and UEFA's rule books.

The problems emerged after a disrupted Ukraine football federation assembly last year, when international footballing officials received documents indicating pressure from regional and state authorities, according to UEFA.

The spat has already had an impact. Ukraine's team was moved into a six strong group for a forthcoming under 21 championship draw instead of a five strong group, to minimise disruption to the tournament if they are suspended.

AFP

I read that too, but didn't want to post it. Why? Because Ukraine won't lose its UEFA membership and thus also not its hosting rights. We had such warnings in other countries before where the government interfered in the national football association, and in all cases the government complied the UEFA rules sooner or later. And does anyone believe that the Ukrainian government will seriously want to let the honour of being the host to the second-most important football tournament in the world slip through its fingers? :blink:

No, if Ukraine also overcame the struggle for the timely stadium construction, it will overcome also this new trouble. And EURO 2012 will take place in Poland and Ukraine, as scheduled.

• 4 months later...

It has become pretty silent here during the last months regarding the EURO qualifiers. Time to change that.

Yesterday's matches:

Group A

Kazakhstan - Azerbaijan 2-1

Austria - Germany 1-2

Belgium - Turkey 1-1

Germany winning veeery luckily against courageous Austrians. Thanks to the Belgian-Turkish draw, Germany now has such a big lead in group A that with a win against Azerbaijan on Tuesday, they could almost seal the qualification (I believe that they'll need only one more point then).

Group C

Faroe Islands - Slovenia 0-2

Italy - Estonia 3-0

Italy still firmly in the lead in that (fairly easy) group, with Slovenia being second.

Group D

Romania - Bosnia and Herzegovina 3-0

Belarus - France 1-1

Despite the mishap against Belarus, France still has a four-point-lead over second-placed Belarus in group D.

Group E

Moldova - Sweden 1-4

San Marino - Finland 0-1

Sweden now second in that group, with one match played less than formerly second-placed Hungary. Netherlands firmly in the lead.

Group F

Croatia - Georgia 2-1

Croatia taking the lead in that group over Greece, which has one match played less.

Group I

Liechtenstein - Lithuania 2-0

Only a match for statistics, although this is an important win for Liechtenstein (the first since October 2007). Spain still the clear leader in that group, with the Czechs second.

Today's matches

Group B

Russia - Armenia

Slovakia - Andorra

Macedonia - Ireland

Group F

Latvia - Israel

Greece - Malta

Group G

England - Switzerland

Montenegro - Bulgaria

Group H