SWE - HUN 2-0

MNG - WAL 1-0

FAR - SER 0-3

MDV - FIN 2-0

AND - RUS 0-2

KAZ - TUR 0-3

ARM - IRL 0-1

POR - CYP 2-2 at the moment

Couldn't ask for any more than that; 4-0 opening day win against Bulgaria.

Bulgaria look like a nothing team in all honesty, perhaps they're better when they're at home, who knows? I didn't realise Berbatov had given up on international football - they ought to be begging for him to change his mind after tonight's performance because he's their only real world class player.

Nice to see Defoe on form, good hattrick.

Montenegro beating Wales in our group as well....perhaps they'll pose more of a challenge to us in a few weeks than I supposed. I'll be at Wembley for that one anyhow so I'll let you know.

Close win tonight for Germany, did you watch the match?

I have to admit that I didn't watch it - I am just watching the "short reviews" of the different matches (EST vs. ITA - at the moment)

Well I did expect a "close" win for Germany, since Belgium isn't a "bad" team - they know how to play!!!

The next match for Germany will be vs. Azerbaijan...

the England match is shown right now and the goal keeper just got a very good critic by hte german commentator

Hart didn't have much to do, but what he did he did well. I think our commentators went over the top with the flattery they gave him, but he made one very good save and looked strong on crosses, and his distribution was good. Hopefully he can keep playing as he is.

Yep, Defoe did us proud. But a bad night for Spurs overall with a nasty looking injury to Dawson in the second half. :(

Hart didn't have much to do, but what he did he did well. I think our commentators went over the top with the flattery they gave him, but he made one very good save and looked strong on crosses, and his distribution was good. Hopefully he can keep playing as he is.

Yep, Defoe did us proud. But a bad night for Spurs overall with a nasty looking injury to Dawson in the second half. :(

yeah - that save was quite good - the Bulgarians were quite weak and made it Enland quite easy...

Are there any national football matches in Tottenhams stadium or do they always take place in Wembley when they are in London?

Whilst not strictly germane to the Euro qualifiers I certainly enjoyed last night's friendly between the Socceroos and the Swiss. As 0-0 draws go you'd be hard put to find a more open and interesting game. The Swiss may have fielded a few B teamers however they were stout opposition and forced Schwarzer into a couple of brilliant saves. Plus the absolute shocker of a spot kick from Frei showed how not to shoot for a penalty. It was refreshing to see the Socceroos attack with style and vigour, using plenty of cross-pitch passing without also manning up in defence. I'd say Rob the Three Lions will have a very good win if they can get over the Swiss...

I really don't know what's happening to France right now.

So many good players from top clubs in europe and it's disaster after disaster.

Don't mean to be rude to them but Belarus's team was worth nothing.

Unable to play correctly, unable to even control the ball and we were unlucky not to score again and again although we didn't at all made a great match last night.

But then again like China before the WC, only one lucky occasion and because the ball hit a french player a belarussian is alone in front of the keeper

one shot, one shot on target, one goal once again, this is really depressing.

There is no way we're winning in Bosnia Tuesday and we will be close to euro's exit after two matchs.

Belgium did a great job last night, they really fought like crazy and were great in defence as well as in defence. They only had the misfortune of not using their scoring opportunities. Team Germany was apparently very impressed by that performance and committed some mistakes, but they didn't let the match slip out of their hands as they usually do when they play against rather defensive teams. They really wanted to get those three points, and thus their victory isn't totally undeserved, although a tie might have been more appropriate.

Anyway, I'm happy about that result and I'm confident that the German team will also perform well in the rest of the qualification. Playing Belgium abroad was already a big test for a start.

Of course, it should be "and were great in defence as well as in offence".

Looking at your group again, it's not easy is it?

No, it isn't. Turkey, especially with Guus Hiddink as manager, is a very serious opponent, and also Austria and Azerbaijan can be tough tasks, especially in the away matches. But if our team manages to maintain or, which would be better, to improve its performance in this qualification, it should qualify directly nevertheless.

And Germany defeats Azerbaijan 6-1. The team is still showing a splendid performance -- a great start for the EURO qualification. Due to the high number of scored goals, Germany is now leading group A with Turkey on second rank.

Turkey meanwhile showed its strength by defeating Belgium 3-2. That promises an exciting match between Germany and Turkey in Berlin on October 8, my birthday.

In my opinion, Montenegro is quite a surprise in the English group. They defeated Wales 1-0 at home, now Bulgaria (the formerly fourth-best team in the world) 1-0 away -- not bad, not bad at all. Especially for a country of that size. I dare to say that their matches against England might become interesting.

All results of today:

Group A

Turkey vs. Belgium 3-2

Austria vs. Kazakhstan 2-0

Germany vs. Azerbaijan 6-1

Group B

Russia vs. Slovakia 0-1

Macedonia vs. Armenia 2-2

Ireland vs. Andorra 3-1

Group C

Serbia vs. Slovenia 1-1

Italy vs. Faroe Islands 5-0

Group D

Belarus vs. Romania 0-0

Albania vs. Luxembourg 1-0

Bosnia and Herzegovina vs. France 0-2

Group E

Sweden vs. San Marino 6-0

Netherlands vs. Finland 2-1

Hungary vs. Moldova 2-1

Group F

Georgia vs. Israel 0-0

Malta vs. Latvia 0-2

Croatia vs. Greece 0-0

Group G

Bulgaria vs. Montenegro 0-1

Switzerland vs. England 1-3

Group H

Denmark vs. Iceland 1-0

Norway vs. Portugal 1-0

Group I

Czech Republiv vs. Lithuania 0-1

Scotland vs. Liechtenstein 1-1

And by the way: World and European Champion Spain is currently drowning with 0-3 against Argentina in Buenos Aires.

elmundo.es

Archived