London 2012 Qualifying Events

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I HATE the FIVB. Canada just finished a sweep of their group, without dropping a set against Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and 5th ranked Cuba, but stand no chance at the Olympics unless they get to the final and upset the Americans because the final qualification tournaments spots as based on World Ranking from January instead of placement at the continental qualification tournaments like in any other sport.

Yeah, the FIVB does that. But Canada's men are ranked #18; and that might've been a fluke performance (I couldn't believe how lackadaisical the Cubans were); so it's only natural that the FIVB want the best teams in there who perform consistently at the top of their game. But if this is a new day and age for Canadian men, they then have 4 years to make it to Rio. Yeah, it's hard when you're either #2 or #3 in a small federation and you have someone as powerful as the US always there. But hey, the Cuban women I think are not going to make London. So that's a first. The Dominicanas are the new female v-ball power in the Caribbean region. The Japanese and Chinese men (altho one of them has to represent Asia, unless Iran grabs that spot), might not appear in London.

Yeah, the FIVB does that. But Canada's men are ranked #18; and that might've been a fluke performance (I couldn't believe how lackadaisical the Cubans were); so it's only natural that the FIVB want the best teams in there who perform consistently at the top of their game. But if this is a new day and age for Canadian men, they then have 4 years to make it to Rio. Yeah, it's hard when you're either #2 or #3 in a small federation and you have someone as powerful as the US always there. But hey, the Cuban women I think are not going to make London. So that's a first. The Dominicanas are the new female v-ball power in the Caribbean region. The Japanese and Chinese men (altho one of them has to represent Asia, unless Iran grabs that spot), might not appear in London.

However, Canada has beaten Puerto Rico constantly over the past year, and they get a chance to go to the last qualifier and a clearly better Canadian team has to sit home?

Puerto Rico is 0.5 points ahead of Canada in World Ranking. It is nonsense that they should be picked over Canada. Hopefully FIBV releases a new rankings before the tournament so the rightful teams get a chance.

However, Canada has beaten Puerto Rico constantly over the past year, and they get a chance to go to the last qualifier and a clearly better Canadian team has to sit home?

But Puerto Rico is only like #3 or #4 really for NORCECA. So that's not saying much. I really don't know the finer points but obviously, it's average playing over the last quadrennial that sets up a team to get into any of the last qualifiers. Puerto Rico also did not have most of its better players in this tournament.

Italy won the European volleyball qualifier and will be in London, but what happens now with the final world qualifier that they are supposed to host? Will it still be in Italy or will they chose a new host? And which team will play instead of Italy? The Czech Republic as best European team in the world rankings from January not yet qualified? The best team in the European qualifier (Slovakia or Spain)? A wildcard? :wacko:

Mmmh, so this is quite similar to what you were talking here about Puerto Rico and Canada; with France and the Czech Republic having another chance to qualify for the Olympics over Slovakia and Spain. But well, that's what the world rankings from January say :rolleyes:

It's kind of strange the qualifying procedure for volleyball :unsure:

Olympic champion Brazil will get to defend its women's volleyball title in London after beating Peru 3-0 on Sunday.

Also on sunday, Argentina men's volleyball secure Olympic berth in the South American qualifying tournament

• 2 weeks later...

Field Hockey

London preliminary round groups confirmed

The women’s preliminary round groups for London are:

Group A

Netherlands

Great Britain

China

Korea

Japan

Belgium

Group B

Argentina

Germany

New Zealand

Australia

United States

South Africa

The men’s groups were already known before the conclusion of the men’s Olympic Qualification Tournament in Kakamigahara, Japan. Regardless of the outcome, the winning team will take the sixth-seed in Group A because of the World Ranking position of the participating teams. After tomorrow's final game, the winner between South Africa and Japan will be slotted into the sixth place in Group A finalizing the groups on the men's side.

The London 2012 Men’s Preliminary Round Groups are:

Group A

Australia

Great Britain

Spain

Pakistan

Argentina

South Africa or Japan

Group B

Germany

Netherlands

Korea

New Zealand

India

Belgium

http://www.fih.ch/en...roups-confirmed

London 2012 Hockey competition schedule announced

The London 2012 Olympic Hockey competition schedule has been confirmed today, revealing when teams will play each other in the preliminary rounds of the men's and women's tournaments.

http://www.london201...ule_Neutral.pdf

anyone know when the Basketball schedual is coming out? im guessing it wont be before ticket go on sale today so that makes it hard to try and get to the games you want to see. Very happy that Hockey know when to relese a shedule

2012 Olympic Games mountain bike: confirmation of qualification places

The International Cycling Union (UCI) has informed the National Olympic Committees (NOC) about the attribution of places for the Men and Women’s mountain bike events for the 2012 Olympic Games. The distribution of places can be found in this table.

NOCs must confirm the use of these quota places by 15 June 2012, and any vacant spots will be reallocated by the UCI.

UCI

First, when did the Kuwaitis get their status re-established as a NOC again? I read that the country was suspended last year for political interference. The reason I was asking is because the Kuwait team had to march at Singapore 2010 under the Olympic flag, instead of its national flag. Now, I see that the Kuwait has qualified athletes for London 2012 under its own flag.

IOC says Kuwait to compete under Olympic flag in London if national body still suspended

QUEBEC CITY — The IOC says Kuwaiti athletes can compete under the Olympic flag at the London Games.

Kuwait’s Olympic committee has been suspended by the IOC since 2010 because of government interference.

Pere Miro, the IOC’s director of relations with national Olympic committees, tells The Associated Press that the IOC executive board approved a solution on Thursday for Kuwaiti athletes.

If Kuwait remains suspended, the athletes will compete as “independent Olympic athletes” and march in London’s opening ceremony under the Olympic flag.

Miro says Kuwait has eight athletes who have qualified for London.

In 2000, athletes from East Timor competed under the Olympic flag at the Sydney Games.

http://www.washingto...FrnU_story.html

Las Morenas del Caribe, the Cuban women's volleyball team NOT qualified for the Olympics since 1988. All 12 women's teams are set: GB, italia, usa, china, russia, brazil, japan, korea, serbia, dominican republic (replacing the Cubans as teh new Caribbean powerhouse) ...and for the 1st time, 2 teams from moderate islamic countires: algeria AND turkey. It'll be a fight between russia, usa, china and italy, I think. Depends on who's NOT depleted by the time the Grand Prix wraps up July 1 and which team is not having their period in the final week in London.

Kosovo has also qualified athletes under the independent Olympic athletes category.

No Kosovo will not. The judo athlete will compete under the Albanian flag.

Nothing about my statement was incorrect. A Kosovar athlete, in the capacity of representing Kosovo, qualified when the world ranking lists were released on May 1st. The IJF recognizes Kosovo. So at the time of submitting the qualification lists to the IOC and to the respective NOCs, Kosovo did qualify an athlete, as protocol the IJF listed Majlinda Kelmendi as an IOP. The IOC rejected this after-the-fact. But it still stands that a representative of Kosovo qualified as an IOP. The IOC in turn broke their own nationality regulations in stipulating that Kelmendi represent Albania. Despite not having represented Albania internationally in 3 years.

Archived