emre

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Serbia 94-79 Australia (Group A)

Croatia 84-64 Tunisia (Group B)

China 80-89 Russia (Group C)

Canada 61-71 New Zealand (Group D)

Well, Serbia, Russia and Turkey (yeah, without playing) have now secured qualification for the next round. On the other hand, Canada will be eliminated tomorrow even if they beat Spain; as well as Tunisia. China has it really difficult to advance too.

I think Spain is being very lucky with the results coming from other teams. With this victory of New Zealand over the Canadian team, if we beat Lebanon and Canada, and France is beaten by both Lithuania and New Zealand, Spain will probably be the group's runner-up, and that's not bad at all. Sadly, Australia didn't beat Serbia. The Serbians could have been a tough opponent for the USA in 1/8 finals...

There have been really interesting results this evening:

Group A

Germany 88-92 Angola (after extra time)

Argentina 88-79 Jordan

Group B

Iran 51-88 United States

Brazil 77-80 Slovenia

Group C

Côte d'Ivoire 60-97 Greece

Turkey 79-77 Puerto Rico

Group D

Lebanon 57-91 Spain

Lithuania 69-55 France

Mmh... Surprising results! What happened, Germany? I thought the USA was going to have a hard 1/8 final game, and they'll probably meet Angola, the weakest opponent. Germany and Jordan are eliminated. And what about Argentina? They're totally the opposite of Canada. While Canada plays well and loses, Argentina has played all its matches terribly but has always won. With the Slovenian victory over Brazil, Iran has been eliminated. Turkey almost lost to Puerto Rico!!! I said before the championship started this was going to be a key game for the hosts, but after watching them beating Greece and Russia, I thought they were going to win this match without major problems too, it seems I was wrong. This is the only group with a qualifying slot for the next round still available - Puerto Rico, China or Ivory Coast will get it, I'd say it will be Puerto Rico... Spain didn't play very well in my opinion, but enough to beat Lebanon clearly. We're still lucky with results from other teams as Lithuania has beaten France. All Spain needs now is beating Canada, pray for France to lose to New Zealand and we'll be second on the group. Lebanon is out and New Zealand qualified for the next round.

Wow. That actually looked good, emre. Thanks.

I've seen a Part I online and it's VERY Riverdance and Rockette-ish. But high energy so far.

the part u watch probably the anatolian fire "troy" show. :)

Group A (Kayseri)

Team Pld W L PF PA PD Pts.

Argentina 4 4 0 331 295 +36 8

Serbia 4 3 1 381 274 +107 7

Australia 4 2 2 305 286 +19 6

Angola 4 2 2 285 338 −53 6

Germany 4 1 3 287 329 −42 5

Jordan 4 0 4 288 355 −67 4

Group B (Istanbul)

USA 4 4 0 363 274 +89 8

Slovenia 4 3 1 328 316 +12 7

Brazil 4 2 2 306 280 +26 6

Croatia 4 2 2 321 315 +6 6

Iran 4 1 3 241 302 −61 5

Tunisia 4 0 4 243 315 −72 4

Group C (Ankara)

Turkey 4 4 0 306 245 +61 8

Greece 4 3 1 334 297 +37 7

Russia 4 3 1 292 277 +15 7

Puerto Rico 4 1 3 307 313 −6 5

China 4 1 3 320 335 −15 5

Côte d'Ivoire 4 0 4 246 338 −92 4

Group D (İzmir)

Lithuania 4 4 0 307 275 +32 8

France 4 3 1 281 257 +24 7

Spain 4 2 2 331 289 +42 6

New Zealand 4 2 2 342 330 +12 6

Lebanon 4 1 3 273 356 −83 5

Canada 4 0 4 263 290 −27 4

group D is the most suprising one i guess... no one expecting Spain will be 3rd in the group

First matches today have determined three of the eight 1/8 final matches:

Angola 55-76 Australia (Group A)

United States 92-57 Tunisia (Group B)

Puerto Rico 79-88 Côte d'Ivoire (Group C)

Spain 89-67 Canada (Group D)

Really interesting what has happened in group C. Côte d'Ivoire achieved its first victory ever in the World Championships. If it had been by more than 12 points, they would have probably made it to the next round, but the result was not enough. Puerto Rico was eliminated and China, on the other hand, will be in the 1/8 final round even if they lose to Turkey this evening. Regarding Spain, this is the best match they have played, only the second quarter was a bit of a mess... If New Zealand does not beat France, which is what everyone expects, Spain will be third in group D and the winner of the GRE-RUS match that has just started will meet them in 1/8 finals. Spain hasn't played very well, but I don't know if any of them wants to face us so early. Remember Spain almost loses to Great Britain at the Eurobasket last year, but ended up winning the European title. Anyway, I'll be supporting New Zealand later...

Quarter-finals, so far:

SLO-AUS

USA-ANG

LTU-CHN

I know Canada loves hockey, but somebody should have told the boys that, in Basketball, there is four quarters and NOT three periods...

Anyway, looks like Canada will finish 22nd. Quite a disappointing finish, but at least the fact that we hung in there with France and Lithuania with a few of our key players out with injury gives me some hope that the team just might qualify for London. Kelly Olynyk was a big revelation and, at 19 years of age, he should help the Canadian team for years to come.

More results, and 1/8 finals:

Group A

Argentina 82-84 Serbia

Jordan 73-91 Germany

Group B

Slovenia 65-60 Iran

Brazil 92-74 Croatia

Group C

Greece 69-73 Russia

Turkey 87-40 China

Group D

Lebanon 66-84 Lithuania

New Zealand 82-70 France

So, group D was the last mystery to solve and it will be: Lithuania 1st, Spain 2nd, New Zealand 3rd and France 4th. I think the Greeks decided to lose to Russia as it was unlikely for NZ to beat France. Sadly for them (I hope it's not sad for me...) Greece will meet Spain on their 1/8 final match on Saturday. France will have a difficult game against the hosts and New Zealand could advance to quarterfinals with no major problems. These are all the 1/8 final matches:

· Serbia-Croatia

· Spain-Greece

· Turkey-France

· Slovenia-Australia

· United States-Angola

· Russia-New Zealand

· Lithuania-China

· Argentina-Brazil

There will be two interesting games with real life "rivals" as opponents, SRB-CRO & ARG-BRA. I'd like Croatia, Spain, Turkey/France (not sure), Australia, Angola, New Zealand, China and Brazil to win, but I know some of them are really unlikely to do so...

"Troy," huh? To stick it to Greece, no doubt. ;)

Was the OC at an indoor or outdoor venue? Hard to tell.

lol...:D

troy is an anatolian civilaztion not a greek one:) but yes everyone knows it from homers illiad :)

indoor .. its sinan erdem sports dome..:)

Great win for New Zealand. We have won three in a row and now face a tough match against russia to advance. If we can beat them, then we will qualify for the quarter finals! Our best result at a world champs was when we finished 4th in 2002! Go Kiwi

by bets are

crotia spain turkey slovenia

usa n.z. lithunia brazil....

Croatia??? I hope you're right but Serbia has played the preliminary round very well. I'm not sure if Spain is going to beat Greece, but if we do, I prefer to meet Croatia in quarterfinals. Turkey will be in semifinals for sure, as well as the USA. And I hope Brazil beats Argentina and Lithuania/China and takes revenge in the semifinal against the USA.

I agree with you, emre, the semifinals ESP-TUR and USA-BRA would be ideal :lol: And in the final I would support the European team, if it's Spain, I'll support them, of course, and we will qualify for London 2012; but even if it was Turkey, it would be better for Spain that the Turks won regarding future Olympic qualification.

Croatia??? I hope you're right but Serbia has played the preliminary round very well. I'm not sure if Spain is going to beat Greece, but if we do, I prefer to meet Croatia in quarterfinals. Turkey will be in semifinals for sure, as well as the USA. And I hope Brazil beats Argentina and Lithuania/China and takes revenge in the semifinal against the USA.

I agree with you, emre, the semifinals ESP-TUR and USA-BRA would be ideal :lol: And in the final I would support the European team, if it's Spain, I'll support them, of course, and we will qualify for London 2012; but even if it was Turkey, it would be better for Spain that the Turks won regarding future Olympic qualification.

ragnetina brazil

greece spain

and

turkey france will be good and tough matches... :S

and i didnt buy my tickets still:S

1/8 finals, day 1:

Serbia 73-72 Croatia

Spain 80-72 Greece

As expected, the Serbians beat the Croats, but I thought it would be an easier match for them. Croatia started playing at a very high level (19-27 for them in the first quarter). There were lots of free throws in the last minutes, and there was a moment when I thought Croatia could win the match, but the Serbians were awarded last-second free throws that gave them the victory. And I'm happy I have finally seen Spain playing well, much better than any of our matches in the preliminary round. The Greeks played very well too, but they didn't manage to score as many three-point throws as in the third quarter in the last one and Spain could defeat them. I guess the Turks are happy with this result too, as their great rivals have been eliminated and they won't be able to win a medal again this year.

First quarterfinal match, scheduled to be played on Wednesday at 18:00 (Istanbul time), will be SRB-ESP, a replay of the Eurobasket 2009 final, when Spain won 85-63, although Serbia had beaten the Spanish in the preliminary round 66-57...

I wonder if we can triumph against the argentinians. They were, after all, World Champions. I wish all the best to our boys in Turkey. I know they'll do everything they possibly can and some more due to who the opponent is. I'm sure it's going to be a terrific match!

im happy for greece ellemination... they always loose match for a easier team to face with in knock outs.....

this time they faced with a rock , Spain..:)

and dont know what will we do tonight

Well I'm sure the Turkish crowd was wholly behind Spain in that game. The American commentators mentioned that the only time the crowd would actually cheer for the Americans would be if they played Greece...lol

ahahahaha sure.... :D after that RE.s scandal with greek match and loosing their next match for a better knock out we dont see greece in a fairplay way :S

Actually, they said the Turks would root against Greece because of the general animosity the two nations have against each other...I was not aware of a scandal...

neah... it was not like that... turkish and greek audience were sitting together in our match and nothing happened... also i can say that turks could support greece in this championship against spain or other teams but cause of the reasons i said above we dont ...:S

1/8 finals, day 2:

Slovenia 87-58 Australia

Turkey 95-77 France

Well, IMO today's matches were much more boring than yesterday's... No surprises, both favourites won, but more clearly than expected. The second quarterfinal match will be TUR-SLO, with Turkey as favourites but beware of the Slovenian team, Turks, they're usually hard to beat.

BTW, I heard the Spanish TV commentators talk about a referendum in Turkey set for the same day of the championship final that could lead to a coup d'état depending on the results. I've done an internet research and found info about the referendum and that it's related to a coup in 1980, but nothing about the rumors of a possible coup next Sunday that commentators said. Could anyone make it clear to me? What's really happening in Turkey with this referendum? :huh:

Archived