France 1 1 0 72 66 +6 2

Spain 1 0 1 66 72 −6 1

Canada 1 0 1 71 81 −10 1

New Zealand 1 0 1 79 92 −13 1

Germany 74-78 Argentina (Group A)

Iran 65-81 Brazil (Group B)

Côte d'Ivoire 46-86 Turkey (Group C)

France 72-66 Spain (Group D)

So, today's surprises for me came all on group D. I expected Canada and Spain to win their matches... However, I'm going to see the bright side of this loss: if Spain, France and the United States win all their matches from now on on their groups, the hypothetical Spain-USA match could only be the final, and it would be ideal if Argentina didn't top its group, which I think is possible since they were about to lose today against Germany and Serbia will make them things harder.

Neither France nor Spain played well, France a little better than Spain. If they both managed to score more than 60 points, it was because of the lots of fouls and free throws in the last quarter. If you have not watched the match, I'd tell you not to do so, it's basically players from both teams missing throws...

I don't mind this loss, but it's time to play as Spain can. And I hope France and the USA will win the rest of their group matches, as well as Spain :rolleyes:

Today's matches:

Group A:

Jordan-Angola

Serbia-Germany

Argentina-Australia

Group B:

Slovenia-United States

Croatia-Iran

Brazil-Tunisia

Group C:

China-Côte d'Ivoire

Puerto Rico-Greece

Turkey-Russia

Group D:

Lithuania-Canada

Lebanon-France

Spain-New Zealand

Vital match for the hosts against Russia if they want an achievable knockout stage, IMO.

****, Lithuania 70 - 68 Canada. Might look decent on paper, but we got from a 17 point lead with 15 minutes to go to a 2 point lead with 10. This one might hurt even more that the complete meltdown against Lebanon yesterday...

Yeah, Canada could have perfectly won their two matches, but lost them both in the last ten minutes...

Four matches have already finished today, they are:

Jordan 65-79 Angola (Group A)

Slovenia 77-99 United States (Group B)

China 83-73 Côte d'Ivoire (Group C)

Lithuania 70-68 Canada (Group D)

Jordan and Ivory Coast have it now really difficult to advance to the next round, Canada could still be saved if they play well against New Zealand and Lebanon loses its matches...

Yeah, Canada could have perfectly won their two matches, but lost them both in the last ten minutes...

Four matches have already finished today, they are:

Jordan 65-79 Angola (Group A)

Slovenia 77-99 United States (Group B)

China 83-73 Côte d'Ivoire (Group C)

Lithuania 70-68 Canada (Group D)

Jordan and Ivory Coast have it now really difficult to advance to the next round, Canada could still be saved if they play well against New Zealand and Lebanon loses its matches...

I think the best chance is to beat France. Considering we defeated them by 11 points in exhibition play, its possible.

I think the best chance is to beat France. Considering we defeated them by 11 points in exhibition play, its possible.

I would like it more if France remained unbeaten but I don't want Canada to beat Spain. I don't mind if Spain ends up second or even fourth on this group stage, but never third - that would be our worst possible result... Of course, if Spain loses to New Zealand now (which should not happen, but if we play like we did yesterday, who knows) forget about all this, as it could be good for us if Canada beat France.

More results:

Serbia-Germany is on the second extra-time (73-73 after the 1st one) on group A

Croatia 75-54 Iran (Group B)

Puerto Rico 80-83 Greece (Group C)

Lebanon 59-86 France (Group D)

Well, I hope I can enjoy the Spanish match more than yesterday. New Zealanders are about to start dancing its Haka.

I'm back here after watching Spain's match. Germany finally defeated Serbia (surprising) 82-81 in the second extra time!!

The other results are:

Argentina 74-72 Australia (Group A)

Brazil 80-65 Tunisia (Group B)

Turkey 65-56 Russia (Group C)

Spain 101-84 New Zealand (Group D)

Australia had the last ball to beat Argentina, but they finally couldn't do it. Great match of Turkey, which is likely to end among the first two teams in group C. Fantastic victory of the Spanish team, scoring more than 100 points and playing much better than yesterday; there are some things to improve, though.

Today's matches

Group A

Jordan 69-112 Serbia

Australia 78-43 Germany

Angola 70-91 Argentina

Group B

Slovenia 91-84 Croatia

Tunisia 58-71 Iran

United States 70-68 Brazil

Surprising Australian victory in group A, I suppose German players were very tired after yesterday's match against Serbia, but the Serbians had no problems to beat Jordan. On the other match, and despite what it may seem, Argentina had it difficult to beat Angola, they only escaped defeat in the last quarter. And surprising result in the USA-BRA match, I was watching it on TV and I didn't know who I wanted to win. Anyway, now the USA has two more points and has the group's first place almost secured (as I don't really think they'll lose to Iran or Tunisia), I still want them, France and Spain to win all their matches.

I'm a little surprised at the quality of results for the Boomers in both the lead up to and now in the championship. Basketball down under has been a minority sport (well men's anyway) for years and the golden era from the Gaze/Longley/Bradtke/Smythe days are long gone. But the current crop in transition seem to be performing above their profile and prestige. I don't expect a final four pozzie but certainly come 2012 the Aussies will be more than competitive.

Group C

Russia 72-66 Côte d'Ivoire

Puerto Rico 84-76 China

Group D

New Zealand 108-76 Lebanon

France 68-63 Canada

Ivory Coast needed only a few more minutes to surprise the Russian team. New Zealand has clearly beaten Lebanon, this may not be very good for Canada, who has just lost to France. I wanted France to win the match, but I also feel really sorry for the Canadian team - they could have won all their matches, but have lost them all... They're the most unlucky team of the championship, and now they have it really difficult to advance...

Coming next, Greece-Turkey and Spain-Lithuania.

Damn, what does Canada need to do to win a game, anyway? Let me guess, we are going to lose a tight game to Spain, too... Going for a layup while 3 points down with under 10 seconds to go is stupid, eh...

Oh well, at least Lebanon lost to the kiwis. Now we need to crush New Zealand (NZ looks good to advance due to the tie-breaker, tough).

New Zealand has clearly beaten Lebanon, this may not be very good for Canada

If my understanding of the rules and my calculations are correct Canada needs to beet New Zealand by 22 points, and Lebanon is eliminated unless they win against Lithuania.

Or France (lack of edit -_-)

Greece 65-76 Turkey (Group C)

Spain 73-76 Lithuania (Group D)

Damn, what does Canada need to do to win a game, anyway? Let me guess, we are going to lose a tight game to Spain, too... Going for a layup while 3 points down with under 10 seconds to go is stupid, eh...

Don't guess that fast, Spain has done exactly the same as Canada, this is embarrassing, they're supposed to be good players :angry: We were leading by 18 points in the 3rd quarter and have lost the match against Lithuania with a pathetic last quarter. If both teams want to do the same in the ESP-CAN match, maybe it can be a 0-0... or less :P What is more, Canada could be eliminated soon and Spain may not even reach the quarterfinals playing this way:

Option 1) Spain beats Canada (and Lebanon, who can beat us) and will be third on the group = Greece in 1/8 finals (winning is possible but then...) USA in quarterfinals

Option 2) Canada beats Spain (Spain having beaten Lebanon) and Spain will be fourth on the group = Turkey in 1/8 finals, who thinks Spain can win here now?

Option 3) Spain loses to Lebanon and Canada (one week ago, this would sound crazy, I know, but today it's possible) and will be eliminated - maybe the best to reduce the arrongance media have created.

I hope Spain beats Lebanon at least by 40 points tomorrow, as New Zealand did today. If they don't, I won't support this team any more until the coach is gone and the players change drastically.

Archived