FIBA 2010 TURKEY

1/8 finals, day 2:

Slovenia 87-58 Australia

Turkey 95-77 France

Well, IMO today's matches were much more boring than yesterday's... No surprises, both favourites won, but more clearly than expected. The second quarterfinal match will be TUR-SLO, with Turkey as favourites but beware of the Slovenian team, Turks, they're usually hard to beat.

BTW, I heard the Spanish TV commentators talk about a referendum in Turkey set for the same day of the championship final that could lead to a coup d'état depending on the results. I've done an internet research and found info about the referendum and that it's related to a coup in 1980, but nothing about the rumors of a possible coup next Sunday that commentators said. Could anyone make it clear to me? What's really happening in Turkey with this referendum? :huh:

its for a new constitution turkey will vote if they want to change or not.The present Turkish Constitution dates back to the 1980’s. It was written after the coup d’état of 12th September 1980 led by General Kenan Evren. The third in the country’s history the last coup was also one of the bloodiest: around 5,000 people died, 6,000 others were imprisoned, 200,000

were put on trial and 10,000 were deprived their nationality; finally hundreds of thousands were

tortured. After the coup Turkey was led by a National Security Council before democracy was reestablished

once more.

but its a bit different cause the goverment become a tyranic regime and nothing can stop them except the Constitutional Court. and 2 of the changes including to change the courts membership.AKP( goverment) may, with this new Constitution, take over the levers of power by placing its supporters in key positions across the country and affect the principle of secularity that has governed Turkey since 1923.

so all turks that afraid of these will vote for NO even for we are not so happy with our constitution. and the goverment start to black mail or threat the commutions, civil organisations even civil servants if they vote no they will all crushed.:S and curtain their real demands on this bad past in our history.

to be honest im afraid of my future and my countries future if the result will be YES..:S

but dont afraid there wont be a civil war in the finals... lol if there will be it will be on monday :P

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't like a civil war in Turkey neither on Sunday nor on Monday... Thanks for explaining it, emre. I hope everything goes alright! It's also important in order for Turkey to join the European Union in the near future that nothing happens ;)

I wouldn't like a civil war in Turkey neither on Sunday nor on Monday... Thanks for explaining it, emre. I hope everything goes alright! It's also important in order for Turkey to join the European Union in the near future that nothing happens ;)

with this government we have, more we gonna make a Islam Union rather than enter EU :S

so many thinks changed here for 10 years.. we were not such conservative before or so fond in love with arabs :S

Mustafa Kemal's bones must turned up side down in his tomb i guess:(

1/8 finals, day 3:

United States 121-66 Angola

Russia 78-56 New Zealand

121-66!!! Is it really a knockout stage match?? I didn't expect Angola to win, but not to lose by almost 60 points either! USA-RUS in quarterfinals, interesting match. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's Argentina-Brazil.

1/8 finals, day 3:

United States 121-66 Angola

Russia 78-56 New Zealand

121-66!!! Is it really a knockout stage match?? I didn't expect Angola to win, but not to lose by almost 60 points either! USA-RUS in quarterfinals, interesting match. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's Argentina-Brazil.

I was disappointed with the New Zelaanders we should have done better

1/8 finals, day 4:

Lithuania 78-67 China

Argentina 93-89 Brazil

Brazil played well but Argentina showed why they are the #1 in FIBA ranking...

Actually, I don't know why Argentina is #1 in FIBA rankings. They are current Olympic bronze medallists, continental bronze medallists and World Championships 4th place. The USA is the current Olympic champion and bronze medallist at the Worlds, while Spain is both continental and World champion and Olympic silver medallist. So, IMO, considering the World Championship and the Olympics more important than the continental championships, Spain should be the current #1, while the USA and Argentina should be very close in #2 and #3. However, I know FIBA rankings are not very reliable, not so many months ago Yugoslavia was still on the top 5. It must have taken FIBA almost 20 years to realize that the country doesn't exist anymore...

BTW, I supported Brazil, but the Argentinians were lucky today once again, as in their matches against Germany, Australia and Jordan.

Serbia 92-89 Spain

Turkey 95-68 Slovenia

Well, one can't win always. IMO, the SRB-ESP match was the second best of the tournament, the first being yersterday's ARG-BRA. And Spain can still end up fifth with two of our best players not competing. Taking that into account, 5th wouldn't be a very bad result, getting ready for the next Eurobasket and Olympic Games. Turkey keeps sweeping to victory again. I think the Serbians will have it difficult to beat them, and I hope Spain can beat Slovenia, too.

Now the team I support can't win the tournament, I will support every European team in order for Spain to have it less difficult to qualify for the London Olympics through next year's Eurobasket. So, go Russia! And go Lithuania!! :rolleyes:

this song made for euro champ in turkey for our team

12 dev adam
12 giant men its name:)

lol every house in istanbul is playing this now... also many people with flags on the roads :)

cong. guys :) thank you for eveyrthing ... for now ;)

United States 89-79 Russia

Lithuania 104-85 Argentina

I didn't watch the first match but it seems the USA had to work harder than expected to beat the Russian team. I enjoyed the second match, and the Lithuanian victory, a lot :D There will be 3 European teams in semifinals, good for Spain's interests regarding Olympic qualification. My favourites to win the championship are, in this order:

1. Lithuania

2. Turkey

2. Serbia (yeah, there's a tie here)

4. United States

BTW, 3 of the 4 semifinalists at the last World Championship in Japan in 2006 (Spain, Greece and Argentina) have not managed to fight for the medals this year in Turkey :P

Serbia 82-83 Turkey

United States 89-74 Lithuania

Oh! My favourites have been eliminated... I'm with Turkey in the final, I hope the Turks do well at the Eurobasket 2011 if they win today, but I think this will go for the USA :unsure:

I'm happy Serbia almost wins, that means Spain is still playing at a high level, not as high as in 2006, but still high :)

Serbia 82-83 Turkey

United States 89-74 Lithuania

Oh! My favourites have been eliminated... I'm with Turkey in the final, I hope the Turks do well at the Eurobasket 2011 if they win today, but I think this will go for the USA :unsure:

I'm happy Serbia almost wins, that means Spain is still playing at a high level, not as high as in 2006, but still high :)

if all your favorites elleminated... please suuport usa this time :D lol

:D

its crazy here... also we have a general voting here. people just wear turkish basketball forms and waving flags :) god i lost my vocie after scraming all night and its just like a transexual now :S

lol

:D

GO TURKEY

46684_428346883730_548598730_5079150_2371435_n.jpg

the final basket :)

i had a hear attack at that moment :S

Final:

Turkey 64-81 United States

As expected, the USA won the championship and qualified for the London Olympics. I feel happy for countries like Brazil and Canada that will have it easier to be in London. But at the same time, I can't imagine how hard European teams will have it to qualify (Turkey, Lithuania, Serbia, Spain, Russia, Slovenia, Greece, France, Croatia, Germany... they all can manage to qualify, but only top 2 at the Eurobasket 2011 will make it and countries placed 3rd to 6th will have another chance with the additional qualifying tournaments, which does not ensure qualification).

Final standings at this 2010 FIBA World Championship:

1. United States

2. Turkey

3. Lithuania

4. Serbia

5. Argentina

6. Spain

7. Russia

8. Slovenia

9. Brazil

10. Australia

11. Greece