FIBA 2010 TURKEY

emre

The 2010 FIBA World Championship will be hosted by Turkey from August 28 to September 12, 2010. It is co-organized by the International Basketball Federation (FIBA), Turkish Basketball Federation and the 2010 Organizing Committee. It is considered as prestigious a competition as the Olympic Basketball Tournament.

For the third time (after the 1986 and 2006 tournaments), the World Championship will have 24 competing nations. As a result, the group stage games will be played in four different cities, and the knockout round will be hosted by Istanbul.

The draw for the Championship took place on December 15, 2009 in Istanbul.Teams were drawn into four preliminary round groups of six teams each. Teams will then play a round robin schedule, with the top sixteen teams advancing to the knockout stage.

the groups are

Group A (Kayseri)

Argentina

Serbia

Australia

Germany

Angola

Jordan

Group B (Istanbul)

USA

Slovenia

Brazil

Croatia

Iran

Tunisia

Group C (Ankara)

Greece

Turkey

Puerto Rico

Russia

China

Côte d'Ivoire

Group D (İzmir)

Spain

France

Canada

Lithuania

New Zealand

Lebanon

and the arenas;

group A Kayseri Kadir Has Arena. Capacity 7500

burhanettinakbaspanoram.jpg

1.jpg

group B Istanbul Abdi İpekçi Arena. Capacity 12500

Abdi_%C4%B0pek%C3%A7i_Arena.jpg

arena_3.gif

group c Ankara Ankara Arena . Capacity 13000

9s8nfb.jpg

Ankara_Arena_2.JPG

group d Izmir Izmir Halkalı S. C. Capacity 10000

halka_pinar1.jpg

1eb87a.jpg

Finals Istanbul Sinan Erdem Dome . capacity 16.500

istambul2.jpg

popupmain_atakoy08.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go, Spain!!! :lol:

Greece will have a tough game against Turkey, but not as tough as that friendly match against Serbia where chairs ended up flying and a Serbian player, jailed for a night :rolleyes:

Yeah, Spain won its first title four years ago in Japan, so if they win again it will be our second title and our first double. But there have been more teams that have made double in the past: Brazil (1959 and 1963) and Yugoslavia (1998 and 2002). Surprising neither the USA nor the Soviet Union have ever doubled (and the Soviet Union will never do it...).

Ahm! :D Well, now we can say Spain is the World Champion in both football and basketball, and will be until at least September 12th :P

Brazil made it before in a way, anyway :rolleyes: They won the FIFA World Cup in 1958 and the FIBA World Championships in 1959, when these championships weren't held the same year. I think Spain would be the first to win both tournaments the same year.

Sure, the host country usually does well. Turkey's match against Puerto Rico will be very important. I'm sure Turkey will be in the knockout stage. If Turkey tops its group, it will reach the quarterfinals with no problems. If Turkey ends up second on the group things will be a bit more difficult but it can also be achievable. Third or fourth would mean France/Lithuania or Spain. If it's Lithuania I think Turkey can win, if it's France it will be a tough game, if it's Spain forget about it :P But Turkey managed to beat Spain at the last Eurobasket (which was finally won by Spain, anyway), I remember that, so Turkey can be the surprising team.

Again, I think the key game for Turkey will be the match against Puerto Rico. Good luck, Turkey!!!

Oh really? Now I'm excited!!

What's the budget??

not a big one of course its not olympics but i can link you to watch it online if u want

and when u gonna be in istanbul?:)

ntvmsnbc has the rights for tv...

Is all that the name of the TV channel? A bit long, isn't it? :lol:

I can't watch the ceremony, it says I have to install something but then it doesn't let me do it :rolleyes: But OK, it doesn't matter.

BTW, dervishes are really cool.

Is all that the name of the TV channel? A bit long, isn't it? :lol:

I can't watch the ceremony, it says I have to install something but then it doesn't let me do it :rolleyes: But OK, it doesn't matter.

BTW, dervishes are really cool.

better u didnt

it became like st strange:S

our sport minister said when he make a speech for the games opening " we lost uefa 2016 and they gave it to a country which host twice it was unfair.." lol

ahahahhahaha

fucking stupid akp goverment

also added istanbul olympics new plan and law and uefa 2020 :)

Thanks, emre. Maybe next year.

In the meantime, I sent my emissary, codenamed 'stu' here on GB, to check Istanbul out. Has he contacted you? He's the one wearing the purple burkha! :lol:

hahhaah no :)

if he has no friends here say him to contact me :) if its needed i can give my mail or phone number too;)

our sport minister said when he make a speech for the games opening " we lost uefa 2016 and they gave it to a country which host twice it was unfair.." lol

:blink: :blink: :blink:

And I thought no one would beat our Prime Minister Zapatero when, trying to convince the IOC EB that Madrid and Spain were ready for the Games because of our sports tradition and fans, said, more or less: "Spain has the best football team in the world, I'm not going to name it, but... it's in my head"...

He was talking about FC Barcelona, which has nothing to do with the Olympic Games. I can't imagine what IOC members thought when they heard him say this.

Well, the FIBA WC starts today. First matches are always important.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

And I thought no one would beat our Prime Minister Zapatero when, trying to convince the IOC EB that Madrid and Spain were ready for the Games because of our sports tradition and fans, said, more or less: "Spain has the best football team in the world, I'm not going to name it, but... it's in my head"...

He was talking about FC Barcelona, which has nothing to do with the Olympic Games. I can't imagine what IOC members thought when they heard him say this.

Well, the FIBA WC starts today. First matches are always important.

luckly we gonna have a match with ivory coast :D

So will the big three of the Miami Heat play for the United States?

None of them.

Just looked at Canada's roster and we only have two NBA players on the team... Gosh did the team fall far ever since Nash stooped playing international Basketball...

None of them.

Just looked at Canada's roster and we only have two NBA players on the team... Gosh did the team fall far ever since Nash stooped playing international Basketball...

Good, we don't have to have Jim Gray follow LeBron around like he did when James made his "Decision"

Archived