Champions League 2010/11

Rob.

And now Real Madrid is acussing Barcelona of having referee help. :lol: Talking about bad losers...

Marca, once again, dissapoints me for throwing senseless acusations towards Barcelona with their articles(read Eurocanguelo and Villarato for more details).

The second leg was only on Sky here, so I didn't see it. But Barca spent most of the first leg falling over at the softest touch and crowding around the referee, and Real weren't much better. That's why Mourinho, Ronaldo etc are so wrong to berate the referees, even if they did make wrong decisions, and even wronger to claim a Barcelona bias!

Phil Minshull's blog on the BBC has it right:

"My sympathies lie with the two match referees Germany's Wolfgang Stark and Belgium's Frank De Bleeckere, who had an almost impossible task when a good number of players from both sides deliberately tried to fool them over the course of the two legs."

I'm of the strong opinion that refs should be handing out yellow cards like confetti for any signs of "gamesmanship" - be it diving, trying to influence the referee, sarcastic clapping (i.e. all the things "the two greatest sides in the world"TM are best at). We'll have a good few matches where it ends up 8-a-side, but players will quickly learn and, hopefully, we'll never see anything as disgusting as the first leg ever again.

• 3 weeks later...

My God, Barca are a bit good aren't they?! B)

I've never seen a Man Utd team have less of the ball, look as lost as this one did tonight, but that wasn't because Utd played badly, it was because Baralona were untouchable. Massive congrats to them, that match has completey erased the horrible semi-final they played. They deserved to win this cup.

Fantastic performance from the best club side of at least the last 30 years and what a wonderful touch to let Eric Abidal collect the trophy after everything he's been through recently. Wonderful night at Wembley.

• 3 weeks later...

Wembley will host the Champions League final in 2013

Wembley Stadium will host the 2013 Champions League final, Uefa announced on Thursday.

The match has been awarded to London's showpiece stadium, which hosted this year's final, to mark the Football Association's 150th anniversary.

"This may seem exceptional but I think it was important for us to respect this anniversary of our game," said Uefa president Michel Platini.

Wembley's staging of this year's final was regarded as a resounding success.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13783154.stm

Archived