Casa Brasil

gotosy

Brazil chooses Somerset House as venue during London 2012 Olympics

24 August 2010

The Brazilian Olympic Committee and Rio 2016 have picked Somerset House as their official Olympic house during the London 2012 Olympic Games

Somerset House Trust director Gwyn Miles and Brazilian Olympic Committee president Carlos Nuzman signed the agreement today.

The agreement marks the first official selection of an Olympic house venue by a National Olympic Committee.

Miles said: "We are really thrilled to be welcoming the Brazilian Olympic Committee to Somerset House as their London home - Casa Brasil - in 2012. We’re now looking forward to working together on a cultural programme that captures and celebrates the country’s vibrant arts and cultural scene, and showcasing the best of Brazil in the heart of London."

http://www.citmagazine.com/channel/news/article/1023998/Brazil-chooses-Somerset-House-venue-during-London-2012-Olympics/

Some pics of Somerset House???

I have to say, though I've walked past it many times, had drinks on the terrace overlooking the Thames and been in the courtyard, I've never properly been inside Somerset House...

Its location; by the Thames to the right if you're walking along Waterloo Bridge.

Somerset_House_and_Waterloo_Bridge,_London.jpg

Google Maps

How it was in 1707:

94548.jpg

In 1722:

028-Somerset_House_by_Kip_1722.jpg

In 1817:

Somerset_House_THS_1817_edited.jpg

And today:

somerset-house-102020.jpg

3497575232_242e1b0668_b.jpg

4219114977_700cafc487_b.jpg

2_6.jpg

Very good choice and the hand over to Rio will be a stunning part of London 2012,

I also have to admit to having never been inside even though it houses part of the hermitage museum form Moscow ,

I have however Ice skated on the rink , which unfortunately I cant recommend as there isn’t enough room to swing a cat never mind do a flying camel spin.

I went inside when they did the Pick me up print fair last year its nice enough, not remarkable though. When they put the fountains in and re-developed it it certainly modernised the facilities. I would imagine they will focus on that fantastic square with the inside rooms mainly used for VIP's and smoozing.

Great great location! And it's huge!!!

Always Casa Brasil are placed in small places, but this time it seems it will be extreme!

No comments on how London is charming and fascinating! Lovely pics!

• 1 year later...

I don't mind if they light it up Green and Gold, Danny!

;)

Indeed, it would be very special if they can put some projection of Kangaroos, a very Brazilian animal... (wait a minute!) laugh.gifbiggrin.gifrolleyes.gif

-- this sweeps is putting me a bit insane lately! laugh.gif

What is the plans of Rio 2016?

Light up a bridge with Brazilian colors? Didn't get the point....

^no futher details yet but sounds interesting :)

Officers from the Mayor's London 2012 team have been collaborating with their counterparts in Brazil since the city won its bid to host the 2016 games in 2009. In particular, the Mayor's team have been offering advice on how the Brazilian authorities could light or dress Waterloo Bridge, next to Somerset house, to become the gateway to their official 2012 games residence and international promotional base next year.

http://www.aroundtherings.com/articles/view.aspx?id=37976

• 4 months later...

Brazil wants giant Christ sculpture on Primrose Hill

Secret plans to build a giant replica of the Rio de Janeiro statue Christ the Redeemer near the summit of Primrose Hill to promote the 2016 Olympics can be revealed today.

The project, funded by the Brazilian government, has already divided opinion in the celebrity neighbourhood that is home to Kate Moss, amid fears it will ruin the view.

The plans are so sensitive that London consultants hired by the Brazilians are quietly consulting residents before submitting their plans to Camden council.

Residents who have not yet seen the designs have been told the proposed replica could be up to 30 feet high. The statue, which the Brazilians want "close to the pinnacle" of Primrose Hill, would be visible for miles from one of the highest points in the capital.

According to the emails, leaked to the Camden New Journal and seen by the Standard, the Brazilian government wants to celebrate the moment that London hands the Olympic baton to Rio after the closing ceremony on August 12.

The emails show the organisers demanding total secrecy and were sent to prominent residents by Camden-based design firm See Me, Hear Me, Feel Me.

One states: "Due to the high profile nature of the proposals and the Tourism Board of Brasil's (sic) desire to unveil the structure as a surprise at the end of the closing ceremony, we would ask that all correspondence remains strictly private and confidential at this time. We trust that this is acceptable."

Malcolm Kafetz, chairman of the Friends of Primrose Hill, called the statue "unsuitable".

A spokesman for planning consultants Dalton Warner Davis, who are working with the Tourism Board of Brazil and See Me, Hear Me, Feel Me Ltd said: "There are a number of options regarding design and location being considered and therefore it is premature to comment."

http://www.thisislon...rimrose-hill.do

If people in UK agrees with this kind of marketing, I have nothing against some advertising of Rio 2016 in London.

In fact, it will be really nice for both, since this kind of things brings more people to the city and make the brand strong.

• 3 weeks later...

Casa Brasil first to sell Rio 2016 official products

The first official products will be for sale at a shop to be installed at Casa Brasil in London, UK, during this year’s Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The first category of products that will be licensed is collectibles (coins, stamps and pins); next, clothing (amounting to half of the revenues from licensing), in 2013; and hardlines (such as stationery, toys and home products), in the second semester of 2014.

Rio 2016

• 4 months later...

Rio 2016 to host free Brazilian contemporary art and design exhibition at Casa Brasil during London 2012

Rio 2016 have announced that they will be hosting a free exhibition of contemporary Brazilian art and design at Casa Brasil during the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

During London 2012, Casa Brasil will be the home of both Rio 2016 and the Brazilian Olympic Committee (COB), and is based at Somerset House located in the centre of the capital.

The exhibition, titled From the Margin to the Edge: Brazilian Art and Design in the 21st Century, will open on July 21 while it will run until September 8, the day before the Closing Ceremony of the Paralympic Games.

It is designed to bring together the best of Brazilian art and design while celebrating the nation's rich cultural offering.

http://www.insidethe...ing-london-2012

Brazil to send in 259-member team to London

Brazil's Olympic Committee (COB) is placing its faith in quality ahead of quantity at the London Games.

Brazil will take a team of 259 athletes - 136 men and 123 women - across 32 sports, COB announced on Tuesday.

The figure is 18 fewer overall than the squad that went to the 2008 Games in Beijing.

According to COB president Carlos Arthur Nuzman, the reason for the decline are stricter qualifying standards, particularly in athletics and swimming.

"We are very satisfied to have achieved our primary goal which was to have a squad of 250 athletes," Nuzman said.

"In London we're going to have a delegation that has even more quality than in Beijing."

Nuzman added the Olympics would provide athletes with an invaluable learning curve ahead of the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro.

"Our aim is to keep improving our standards so that we can reach another level in Rio in four years," Nuzman said.

"We hope to come home from London with approximately the same number of medals as we did after Bejing, where we won 15."

http://www.globaltim...nt/718922.shtml

• 2 weeks later...

CASA BRASIL: Boutique Rio 2016™ introduces the first products of the Games

A 40m²-space at Somerset House has all furniture made of sustainable materials, which will be donated later

exposicao_casa_brasil_londres2012_foto_wander_roberto_10.jpg

The fans of the Olympic and Paralympic Games in London will be the first to have the opportunity to purchase products with Rio2016™ brands. From 20 July to 9 September, the Boutique Rio 2016™, at Casa Brasil, will offer lines especially developed for the occasion, with the Olympic DNA, Paralympic DNA, Passarela Carioca and Cidade Maravilha themes.

In the 40m² space located at Somerset House, on the banks of the Thames River, visitors may choose among T-shirts, mugs, key chains and many other articles of the world’s biggest sport event, to take place in South America for the first time ever. Items of Time Brasil and Brazilian typical articles such as beach sandals and golden grass earrings, as well as flags, hats and Brazilian music albumswill also be available to visitors.

Inside the Boutique, a panel with the alphabet in Rio 2016™ font will allow visitors to remove the sheets with the letters and numbers and take them as souvenirs.

The Boutique was developed according to the sustainability and accessibility pillars: a lower counter and more accessible shelves. All furniture is made of sustainable material (resistant cardboard), which will be donated later.

The shop will open from Monday to Friday from 10:00 am to 07:00 pm, and on Thursdays exceptionally from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm.

http://rio2016.org/e...ts-of-the-games

Archived