Accommodation for the 2016 Summer Olympics

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim,

If you don't find an "adequate" hotel in Rio, better stay home where, I believe, have 500+ rooms. :lol:

Yeah, I don't understand this obsession with 500+ room hotels - he must have a huge entourage. In my experience, the bigger the hotel, the more impersonal and sterile. Give me a nice luxury boutique hotel anytime.

With the above in mind, what would you recommend for me in Rio, Danny? It'd be nice to be near Copacabana - specially if I'm gonna be there over New Year's.

Uhmmm, WRONG, Jim.

1984 was The L.A. Biltmore

1996 was the Atlanta Marriott

not unless you personally called the hotels and told them they misbooked the IOC. :blink:

Our poor Jim - he really seems to have a tough time with the real world.

Yeah, I don't understand this obsession with 500+ room hotels - he must have a huge entourage. In my experience, the bigger the hotel, the more impersonal and sterile. Give me a nice luxury boutique hotel anytime.

With the above in mind, what would you recommend for me in Rio, Danny? It'd be nice to be near Copacabana - specially if I'm gonna be there over New Year's.

Rols, Ipanema is a better choice than Copacabana. You'll be few blocks away from Copacabana and with a better beach in front and better place to eat and do some nice shopping around.

When I go to Rio for business, the company send us to Everest Hotel in Ipanema:

http://www.everest.com.br/rio/ - Nice place not as expensive as Ceaser Palace nearby.

But you're gay, and this makes Ceaser Palace in Ipanema Beach front even a better choice.

The part of the beach is known as the gay part of Ipanema and there you'll understand why Rio is the best gay tourist place in the world. B)

But if you want something more cheap, a hostel can be a nice try too. Since when I go to Rio I stay in Everest or in my aunt's house I'm not inside addresses and name of good hostels, but I can talk to some friends if you want and get info.

Also, I'm sure our carioca friends here will like to help you on this search.

Anyway, my tip is: Ipanema over Copacabana. Both are very near, but Ipanema is more fashion and nice.

I meant: Also, I'm sure our carioca friends here will like to help you on this search too.

I will check some hotels for you. It'll be a pleasure to help.

If you are planning to come to Brazil this year, be aware that hotel rooms sells out for New Year's Eve, so, early booking is strongly recommended.

Last year, by 6 months before some hotels and hostels in Rio and other major Brazilian destinations were already full-booked to New Year's Eve.

Also ask in front all taxes they are about to charge to avoid bad surprises (I had some bad time in my last day in Orlando in 2008 because of a stupid "Floridian Resort Tax").

Anything, just PM me =]

he must have a huge entourage.

I hope not.

Imagine Jim...

Now imagine his 800+ "friends"... Gosh!!!

Our poor Jim - he really seems to have a tough time with the real world.

You better not start that bull again. Never say the phrase "$**** to" about me again". I mean it. I will get upset.

And those aren't the IOC's headquarters hotels, they're my headquarters hotels.

And those aren't the IOC's headquarters hotels, they're my headquarters hotels.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!

:lol::P:D

Oh Jim, do you set out to make yourself look ridiculous, or are you just oblivious?

What a f*cking pointless list then! A list of hotels without any relevance except they're venues for imaginary time-travel visits by you and your 500-strong retinue.

Oh Jim - at best you're a clueless fool, at worst you're (a not very good) troll!

What if celebrities stayed at those hotels?

What's that got to do with anything? It still doesn't make your "list" any more relevant or interesting for any reason.

Anyway, I think if a celebrity knew YOU were going to stay at a hotel, they'd give it a wide berth.

I am a nomad, Danny.

At Skyscrapercity you made a "statement" about why you don`t say where you live.

I think it's Miami, but you can make this clear to us. Why the shame?

He wants more hotels

After buying the Gloria Hotel in the city of Rio de Janeiro, to make him the first six-star hotel in the country, the businessman Eike Batista articulates a new foray into the hospitality sector. In May, began negotiations with the U.S. group Marriott to bring to Brazil Flag Courtyard, with executive profile (read daily average of 300 reais). The proposal, still under negotiation, is to build 100 hotels with an investment of 2 billion dollars. The Marriott would like operator. Eike seek funding for 70% of the contribution and divide the other 30% with American millionaire Jeffrey Soffer, who owns the luxurious Fontainebleau Miami Beach. After many ups and downs, the duo hit the Soffer and partnership will be a partner in all Eike hotel ventures in the country, with 30% stake in each project.

At Skyscrapercity you made a "statement" about why you don`t say where you live.

I think it's Miami, but you can make this clear to us. Why the shame?

He is brazilian. Maybe Paulista.

No, it seems his campaigns started before Rio bidded for the games...

of 1936... tongue.gif

Stop. The Maracana Stadium was built in 1950. What if I made the statement "I don't like you" because you harassed me? And I have put users on the ignore list because the harassment wouldn't stop?

And during the reconstruction of Hotel Gloria, there's concrete being ripped apart, and rebar flying everywhere.

Stop. The Maracana Stadium was built in 1950. What if I made the statement "I don't like you" because you harassed me? And I have put users on the ignore list because the harassment wouldn't stop?

And during the reconstruction of Hotel Gloria, there's concrete being ripped apart, and rebar flying everywhere.

wink.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Rio Mayor guarantees sufficient number of hotel rooms for the Games in 2013

Rio de Janeiro city will honour its commitment with International Olympic Committee (IOC) of making 27,800 hotel rooms available for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games in 2013. That is what Mayor Eduardo Paes said, presenting, this Tuesday morning in the City Palace, the projection for Rio hotel chains.

Currently, the city counts on 26,316 hotel rooms, according to data from Riotur (Rio City Tourism Company). Till 2013, there will be 31,722 rooms, 5,406 more than the predicted.

“About 12 thousand new rooms are predicted to 2015. 5,400 of them are already under construction. Rio de Janeiro has an extensive agenda of major events happening the next years, culminating with the Olympic Games in 2016, and it will receive visitors the best way it can”, said the Mayor.

The special Tourism Secretary and Riotur President, Antonio Pedro Figueira de Mello, announced that new hotel chains are coming to the city and that some of the existing ones are getting renovated.

“We will leave an unprecedented legacy. We are not only enlarging hotel capacity, but we are also attracting new investors to Rio, exciding IOC’s expectation and demands. There are hotel projects in the most prominent areas of the city like Barra and the West Zone,” said the Secretary, remembering that there are other hotel projects in strategic points as City Centre and the Port Zone, due to Porto Maravilha project.

http://www.rio2016.org.br/en/rio-2016-now/rio-mayor-guarantees-sufficient-number-of-hotel-rooms-for-the-games-in-2013

• 1 year later...

Hilton Expands Latin America Portfolio With Hilton Hotels & Resorts Development In Rio de Janeiro

The FINANCIAL -- Hilton Worldwide has announced that it has signed a management agreement with Carvalho Hosken Hotelaria Ltda. for the 298-room new-build Hilton Barra, Rio de Janeiro in Brazil - Hilton Worldwide's first hotel in Rio de Janeiro.

The project, currently under construction, is expected to open in June 2014 and will provide travelers a new place to stay during the 2016 Summer Olympics.

"Hilton Hotels & Resorts is experiencing a period of tremendous global growth and this project brings our name to one of the most important cities in Latin America," said Dave Horton, global head, Hilton Hotels & Resorts. "As one of the most visited cities in South America and the upcoming 2016 Summer Games, Rio is a major market for international travel and key to our presence in South America."

Forming part of the Metropolitan Center, Hilton Barra, Rio de Janeiro will welcome travelers to one of the city's most economically dynamic and fastest growing areas, between Barra de Tijuca Beach and Jacarepagua. For those visiting the city in 2016 to experience the thrill and excitement of the Summer Olympic games, the hotel will be located within walking distance to the future Olympic Park and less than three miles from both the future Olympic Village and Barra de Tijuca Beach.

http://finchannel.co...Rio_de_Janeiro/

• 1 month later...

Olympic Games and pre-salt make 15,000 hotel rooms get off the ground in Rio

From mirror-windowed skyscrapers on the seafront to small luxury hotels downtown, Rio de Janeiro is well on its way to meet the goal of 15,000 new hotel rooms required by the IOC (International Olympic Committee) for the 2016 Olympic Games.

Major hotel chains such as the U.S.'s Hilton and Hyatt don't have hotels in the city yet, but they are coming and will build by the sea in Barra da Tijuca (west zone).

"For some years, we have been looking at Rio waiting to make a major investment, because increasing our presence in Brazil is crucial for our expansion strategy," says Myles McGourty, vice-president of Hyatt. The construction of the hotel will begin this month and it is expected to be ready in 2015.

A study by the City Department of Urbanism shows that 18,126 hotel rooms are either under construction, or have had their licenses approved or are having their requests analyzed at the department. There are 4,606 rooms under construction in at least 28 different projects. There are no official estimates regarding how many of the 18,000 rooms will be ready for the 2014 World Cup.

Not only new hotels are responsible for the expansion. Chains already known locally are investing to expand their businesses.

Such are the cases of Brazil's Windsor, which is building two towers with almost 1,000 rooms, and Accor, of France, which operates the chain Ibis, investing R$ 420 million to increase its hotels from the current 12 to 18 in four years.

New Brazilian investors also are arriving. REX, a real estate company that belongs to Eike Batista's EBX, is refurbishing Hotel Glória, purchased in 2008 and which will be operational again in 2014, with 352 rooms.

BUSINESSES

Hotel analysts and chains say the hotels won't survive only on the sport events. The recovery of the local economy, boosted by the pre-salt, is seen as the most important factor for the "hotel fever."

However, the Olympics did influence the sector. Rio's city hall, fearing the number of hotel rooms will not be enough for the Olympic Games, created a law in 2010 which gives fiscal benefits to hotel projects.

In the past two year, Riocentro, Rio's main convention center, received at least eight major international events, such as Rio+20, in the middle of 2012.

http://www1.folha.uo...nd-in-rio.shtml

Archived