When/Where Did You Lose Your Olympic Cherry

My earliest memory is the Seoul Closing Ceremony in 1988 and my mom explaining the handover of the Olympic Flag stuff...that and figure skating from Calgary earlier that year - though for some reason I only remember Kristi Yamaguchi (probably because I couldn't stay up late enough for the top skaters).

Four years later, I was in third grade and I had to do a report on the Albertville Games...and the rest if history.

First Games attended from the Opening to Closing Ceremony : the 2004 Summer Games in Athens ! (Beginning of my lanyard & accreditiation's collections)

God I wish I could afford to do that. At any games, but especially one in a "mediterranean climate" like that. Hmmm, Rome 2020!!!

My first memory of Olympics is Seoul 1988. I remember clearly my grandfather (RIP) watching the opening ceremony during late night. I was 5 y.o.

But the first emotions of Olympic Games comes in Barcelona 1992. I was very happy when Brazil won gold medal in Volleyball and judo. I was in Santos (spending vacations) when Rogerio Sampaio won gold in Judo. Rogerio is from Santos and the party was loud in the city.

smile.gif

God I wish I could afford to do that. At any games, but especially one in a "mediterranean climate" like that. Hmmm, Rome 2020!!!

Yes, in Athens it was really great vacations... 3 weeks in Greece. 2 in Athens and the week before the Games to travel a little bit, a day in Olympia , some others to lay on a beach.... We had great time with my friends there !

But you need to have a good budget to afford as much as possible tickets....

Hope you could know that soon.... Rio could do a good plan to mix vacation & games !

Yes, in Athens it was really great vacations... 3 weeks in Greece. 2 in Athens and the week before the Games to travel a little bit, a day in Olympia , some others to lay on a beach.... We had great time with my friends there !

But you need to have a good budget to afford as much as possible tickets....

Hope you could know that soon.... Rio could do a good plan to mix vacation & games !

Did you get tickets for both OC and CC's? How many events were you able to attend? Your accommodations must have been very budget. Hostels?

Of course, your travel fare from France to Greece is much much cheaper than U.S. to Greece.

Did you get tickets for both OC and CC's? How many events were you able to attend? Your accommodations must have been very budget. Hostels?

Of course, your travel fare from France to Greece is much much cheaper than U.S. to Greece.

We drove from France and were at a camping (a kind of Olympic Village with so many different nationalities !) very close to the city center and linked to an Olympic Bus Line !

Only got tickets for the Opening Ceremony. We watched the Closing in a restaurant.

We attend an average of 2 events by day, but sometimes 3 (Morning, Afternoon & Evening) as it was very easy to connect from a venue to another.

So there I was, 10 days after my 11th birthday watching Cathy Freeman lighting the cauldron and waiting for it do so something more than standing awkwardly there. I never actually managed to watch it rise all the way to the top since I was late and I still had my lifelong dream of being a champion swimmer (SPOILER ALERT: I didn't XD), but that was the moment that spelt "OLYMPICS ARE AWESOME!" all the way across my mind. By the times Athens came up, I was paying closer attention to the official broadcast and that annoying reporter Globo send to Greece just because she happened to be Greek XD

Ha, that's soo funny. I woke up very early to watch the OC and saw Cathy light the flame. If there hadn't been that glitch I would have been fine but I also didn't get to see it go up because I had to go to school. Of course I taped it on the old VHS and must have watched that tape over and over again. Sydney had the best OC overall, but Athens had the best 'scene' with the allegory sequence.

I got to first base when Nikki Webster took flight in Sydney, and then got hard when Cathy Freeman lit the water.

I also fooled around with Salt Lake.

And then finally I popped my cherry when the five rings were ablaze in Athens.

There is something vaguely disturbing about getting to first base with Nikki Webster 10 years ago...now if we were talking say the last few years:

mednikkiwebster3wh0.jpg

Albertville is when I lost my cherry. I was 13 then and I had a great interest in ladies figure skating ever since all three us Ladies won the '91 World Championships. I sat glued to the tv every night watching all the competitions and even watched Yamaguchi win her gold. This is the same time I got my first Olympic pin which was so exciting at the time. The Olympics then were very different than they are now...broadcast wise that is. When it was time for the Olympics everyone was watching the games because thats all NBC/CBS would have on 24-7. Now here in the US all you get is watered down coverage that is tape delayed or you have to have cable to watch other competitions during the day on MSNBC.

Archived