... new NOC's in London 2012?

There are several teams that have representation at the CWGs CAF that have no parallel representation at the SOGs or OWGs. Some that spring to mind ate the individual Channel Island teams (eg Jersey, Guernsey), the Isle of Man and of course the individual home nation teams (Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Island). Then there are places such as the Falkland Islands and Norfolk Island who also participate as small individual teams at the CWGs....

There are several teams that have representation at the CWGs CAF that have no parallel representation at the SOGs or OWGs. Some that spring to mind ate the individual Channel Island teams (eg Jersey, Guernsey), the Isle of Man and of course the individual home nation teams (Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Island). Then there are places such as the Falkland Islands and Norfolk Island who also participate as small individual teams at the CWGs....

I doubt that we will see Scotland, England, Wales or Northern Ireland participating with own teams - like Jersey or Guernsey, too, but it is interesting that there were a lot of British colonies or dependencies participating at Olympic Games (colonies esp. in the past)...

Why does the British Virgin Islands have an own team, but not e.g. the Turks and Caicos Islands? Trinidad or Jamaica participted e.g. as colonise too

I doubt that we will see Scotland, England, Wales or Northern Ireland participating with own teams - like Jersey or Guernsey, too, but it is interesting that there were a lot of British colonies or dependencies participating at Olympic Games (colonies esp. in the past)...

Why does the British Virgin Islands have an own team, but not e.g. the Turks and Caicos Islands? Trinidad or Jamaica participted e.g. as colonise too

Without knowing the full details my assumption CAF is how vigorous the various NOC/domestic sporting federations are, and how well they lobby the IOC. Take as a case in point Australia which has state Olympic Councils, which I would assume if domestic circumstances allowed could set themselves up as separate entities from the AOC. Having said that they would then falter (as has for example the Basque moevement to present a separate NOC to the Spanish) with the IOC's unequivocal desire to not see the parent NOC break up. There is no way that a NSW or Queensland NOC could be recognised as long as their existence was contrary to national identity and IOC policy.

On the other hand the likes of Guam, Puerto Rico, British Virgin Islands, Hong Kong etc can maintain separate NOCs as a result of overall national sporting policy and the IOC's desire to agree to such separate structures that in turn don't undermine the larger parent body (e.g. BOA, USOC etc). Palestine is another unique example insofar as they have representation as a NOC because of the wider political implications (as well as having a seat at the UN). It would be hard for the IOC to refuse membership to the Palestinian NOC without rammifications for the Israelis.

Perhaps our British posters can shed more light on the four home countries in the UK...considering the (often) separated nature of the British IFs (e.g. separate representation in FIFA and the IRB) as well as devolved parliaments could we see separate UK teams in say 3 or more Olympiads down the road (personally would love to see Scotland have their own NOC and representation).

I am really hoping that we will see some new NOCs in London - especially some of the british dependencies, which haven't a NOC yet, like:

Anguilla

Montserrat

Turks and Caicos Islands

Gibraltar

And some other dependencies:

Faroe Island

French Polynesia

Norfolk Island

Northern Mariana

Niue

and I would like to see Macao, China in London, too

I have a high regard for our neighbours the Gibraltarians (although many of them don't like Spain much) and would love to watch them parade at the Olympics, but I think all these British overseas territories should be part of the team GB, the problem is that the NOC can't be called "Great Britain & NI" but "United Kingdom". This way, British athletes from all over the world could take part at the Olympic Games.

And regarding Macau, I still can't understand why they have a National Paralympic Committee but lack an Olympic one :unsure: Does anybody know?

Whilst I understand your interest in seeing some new smaller NOCs representedt at the games CAF I actually wonder why we need to be heading down the route of increasing the participation of what are essentially token teams at the SOGs (the OWGs may be a slightly different case). Yes, there is something to admire about teams from say Timor Leste or Nauru coming to the games, but they are separate nations as well and their athletes have some degree of national stature. However when we start talking about (for example) the Faroe Islands and Gibraltar we really are collating the least qualified participants at the games. Plus I can tell you from personal experience that it won't be athletes who benefit, it'll be the officials. You will most likely see a team manager as well as supporting staff (coaches, medical, maybe media manager etc) added to the mix, hence making the actual athletic participation less important in terms of games organisation. Considering the expense and bloated size of the SOGs at some point someone has to say that's enough, and as it stands now I think we're probably just past that point.

mhh, I haven't seen it that way so far...

You might be right that a participation at Olympic Games doesn't help the athletes of a "country, nation, NOC", but the officials and I agree a dependency should have some degree of national stature, like Australia, India, Canada or South Africa had...

I think the distance between the dependency and the "mother country" plays in a way a role too, I agree Faroe Islands or Jersey/Guernsey or Gibraltar don't really need an own NOC, but e.g. Anguilla, New Caledonia or French Polynesia...

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but why don't Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales compete at the Olympics under their own respective NOCs. Does the IOC not recognize them?

No. With a few exceptions, that is their NOCs were established before World War II when the IOC needed as many 'nations and territories' to participate, the rule of thumb is it must be a sovereign nation (i.e., independently recognized by the legitimate nations of the world, i.e., France, the UK, the USA, etc., NOT the autonomous regions.) Thus, there are no Catalonia or Quebec NOCs today, or the Confederate States of the USA. NOCs like Guam, HKG and Puerto Rico have just been left in place rather than being abolished.

We do NOT want more NOCs in there!! The Opening Ceremony parade just goes on FOREVER!!

Faroe Island

Interesting that Pal Joensen from the Faroe Islands has just won the silver medal in the men's 1500 m at the European Swimming Championships that are being held in Budapest. It's great to see these small territories winning medals, but they don't usually have many elite sportspeople. If the Faroe Islands took part at the Olympics, I'd say he would be the only one representing them. It would only make the parade of athletes longer. I think he could be part of the Danish team with no major problems. Well, he is actually Danish (like the people from Greenland, which hasn't been mentioned here before), he should not have any problem at all.

Archived