The Sochi 2014 Mascot

SkiFreak

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Snow leopard may be Sochi 2014 Olympic mascot

Sochi (Russia), Sep 18 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The snow leopard leads the competition for the mascot for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, organisers said Saturday.

A nationwide competition to find a mascot for the 2014 Olympics kicked off Sep 1 in Russia's Black Sea resort of Sochi.

The mascot 'should encompass a range of features characteristic of Russia, and at the same time be intelligible to people of every age, profession and nationality', organisers said earlier.

A special commission will choose the best ideas for the mascot, which then will be improved and developed by professional painters.

Organisers have already received over 3,000 pictures from different regions of Russia.

An online poll, to be held Feb 7, 2011, will determine the Olympic mascot.

Sify.com

Snow Leopard? Not a bad idea. I like it :) . I just hope the design isn't some abstract one like Cobi, Nagano's Snowlets, or Neve and Gliz from Torino. Anything will be better than Wenlock and Mandeville (at least Izzy had a face! :lol: ).

Now the question is, will there be just one mascot, or more?

The snow leopard is on the second place in national voting now!

And is that frog still leading the voting? :unsure:

The snow leopard is much better. Does it have any name or is it called "Snow Leopard"? IMO, if it were blue, it would be more snowy and wintry as orange reminds of summer, but that's not very important ;)

They are using a Snow leopard as the mascot of Kazan 2013 Universiade

logo-bars.jpg

I mean, i'm not against the snow leopard thing (its better than choosing a frog) but come on, be a little more original Russia.

PS: Anything but a bear please...its so stereotypical.

• 3 weeks later...

They are using a Snow leopard as the mascot of Kazan 2013 Universiade

logo-bars.jpg

I mean, i'm not against the snow leopard thing (its better than choosing a frog) but come on, be a little more original Russia.

PS: Anything but a bear please...its so stereotypical.

Does the Ghana Ski Team get to collect any royalties? :lol:

http://www.ghanaskiteam.com/newsite/

I like that Kwame is using the logo someone in Whistler (or was it Vancouver) made up for him. It was used for the pin.

• 3 weeks later...

Huh? Is that realy true that the contest was opened for everyone? o.o

On that case i would so want to make an entry for the contest...and make the difference :lol:

seriously, i dont want Hypnotoad to be the mascot D:

Hypnotoad Good!

I could watch him all day!!!!

hypnotoad.gif

• 1 month later...

Anyway, it seems that finally sanity arrived to the process and people are voting for these guys as the possible mascot (so forget about hypnotoad)

Russians split over mascot for 2014 Winter Olympics

http://en.rian.ru/society/20101124/161483789.html

slide_issue_17162.jpg

A nationwide competition to choose the best mascot for the 2014 Winter Olympics is heating up in Russian - polls for the best mascot have given different and even contradictory results.

The popular vote to find the mascot kicked off on September 1. Every Russian could submit his or her vision of the mascot to the official website.

The Russian Public Opinion Research Center on November 13-14 asked 1,600 Russians to choose the best idea from the website. The most respondents, 17 percent, voted for cub bear Misha, reminiscent of Mishka the Bear, the mascot of the 1980 Summer Olympic Games in Moscow. Next were a couple of little tigers and a hare - 14 percent voted for each of them.

The outsider of the competition, according to the official poll, is a fluffy blue frog named Zoich - a total of 36 percent said they would never vote for such mascot.

However, the open public rating on the website where the ideas are submitted shows that the fluffy frog enjoys the biggest popularity. Zoich has a little crown on his head and Olympic Circles instead of pupils in his eyes.

"The Olympic Circles in his eyes help promotion of the Olympic ideals, the tsarist crown on his head reminds us about monarchy and spirituality," the author of the drawing, a blogger with the nickname Yegor Zhgun (the Russian for "mocker", "teaser") describes his piece.

The mascot "should encompass a range of features characteristic of Russia, and at the same time be intelligible to people of every age, profession and nationality," organizers of the competition said earlier.

A special commission will choose the best ideas, which then will be improved and developed by professional painters. Organizers have already received over 3,000 pictures from different regions of Russia. An online poll, to be held on February 7, 2011, will determine the Olympic mascot.

MOSCOW, November 24 (RIA Novosti)

It seems that hypnotoad was made by ''mocker'' as, precisely, a joke entry for the contest. :P . For me the whole frog being on the top thing is a well planned act of trolling (i've seen lots of online polls which were sabotaged by them and made unexpected options to win)

If that bear wins, i just hope they improve his design later, because he looks way too generic.

The submissions deadline is on five days.

Mainly posting this for the pic, with some of the submissions, that go with it:

Mascot for Sochi Olympics to be chosen from thousands of variants

75396251.jpg

More than 20,000 drawings and other pieces of art, even cartoons, have been received at the Organization Committee for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi as part of the national campaign to choose a mascot for the games.

A 3-year-old Katya Yegorova from Samara, the youngest participant in the contest, drew her favorite cartoon character Cheburashka for she thinks it is worth of becoming an Olympic mascot. The eldest participant, a 77-year-old artist from Novosibirsk Gennady Strekalovsky, depicted a Russian beauty wearing kokoshnik (a traditional Russian head-dress), a tall ship and an eagle – all three objects painted in red, blue and white.

The contest attracted people from all over Russia, from Kaliningrad to Kamchatka. Russians living in the U.S., Austria, Estonia, Belarus, Ukraine and Kazakhstan also joined in.

This is the first contest of this kind in the history of the Russian Olympic movement. Head of the Sochi 2014 Organization Committee Dmitry Chernyshenko comments:

"None of Olympic host countries has ever held such kind of national drawing contest. We decided to be pioneers and do not regret this. Now we can choose a mascot that will become a true symbol of Russia."

Several popular athletes, who were made Sochi Olympics envoys, have also submitted their variants. Hockey player Alexander Ovechkin drew a sheep holding a hockey stick; Paralympic champion Olesya Vladykina depicted a fish on a snowboard, while Vancouver bronze-winning figure skater Oksana Domnina drew a skating dolphin.

Animals – bears, leopards and dolphins- turned out to be a major source of inspiration for those participating in the contest. Father Frost, Snegurochka, Kolobok are also among characters offered as symbols for the Sochi Olympiad. A special working group was set up in Sochi to sort all the drawings into four groups – humans, animals, birds and fictional characters. After that, a professional jury comprising cartoonists, marketing analysts and athletes will choose the best drawings.

The winner will be announced on 7 February, three years before the Winter Olympics in Sochi begins. The best drawing will be chosen through a live television voting. “I am sure that a mascot we are going to choose will be welcomed by millions of Russians worldwide”, Mr. Chernyshenko said and thanked all participants for joining the campaign.

Voice of Russia

Archived