The Sochi 2014 Mascot

SkiFreak

I was just reading this article on the Sochi 2014 website that was posted four days ago:

Sochi2014.ru: Sochi 2014 Mascot will be chosen by Russia

And noticed this in the text:

The Mascot will be revealed in 2011, three years ahead of Sochi 2014 after a nationwide competition to create and select the best Mascot to represent Russia’s first Winter Games.

For the following six years after its launch, the Mascot will become an important symbol of Russia that will be used on a global stage.

Obviously someone didn't write that correctly. The mascot(s) aren't going to be around for 6 years will it/they? :unsure: I'm assuming that was some mistaken translation.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mascot(s) aren't going to be around for 6 years will it/they? :unsure: I'm assuming that was some mistaken translation.

Who knows? Maybe they want the mascot to be important in Russia even though the Games are over :P

Well, seriously, it must have been a mistake. If you use the numeric keypad, it's easy to mistake the number 3 for the number 6, so I guess they meant 3 years - from 2011 to 2014.

Regarding the mascot, I didn't expect London's mascots to be like they actually are, but I expect any kind of mascot from Sochi. I think they are following the steps taken by LOCOG, such as the strange logo and the modern look they want to show, so a really bizarre mascot won't be a surprise for me :rolleyes:

Vlad, you got to go with something indigenously Russian or Crimean, something easily recognizable to the outside world (NOT some obscure Crimean legend that only 8 elders know about), something easily adaptable to both an able-bodied and handicapped versions...whimsical...AND most of all, that will become cute (especially as winter animals) and cuddly as a plush toy. Must be at least TWO creatures (to double the sales of toys and pins). How about a mother and child pairing? That hasn't been tried before.

And it looks like some background story (even if manufactured) about the origins of the mascot is now de rigeur.

Yes, I agree with baron, but I think two mascots are not really necessary. One good mascot could be sold as well as two or three. The two-mascot tradition was started by Calgary in 1988 and followed by Lillehammer 1994 - after that, and since Nagano 1998, every edition of the Olympic Games (both summer and winter) has had at least two mascots, Beijing holds the record with 5. Finally, London has broken with tradition and will have only one Olympic and one Paralympic mascot which they are selling together as a pair but it's still only one mascot.

And let me give you, Vlad, some advice of my own if you finally decide to take part. Remember Misha, the Moscow 1980 mascot? Well, I think Sochi 2014 mascot should be totally different from Misha, so no bears or similar animals ;)

Is Prometheus a crazy idea or it will be OK for my bid?

Only if you're planning on selling it in a pair with the liver-eating eagle as the second mascot. And hey, you've already got a backstory in place!

How about a really summery mascot. Seeing palm trees at a Winter Games is enough of a mindfck; why not go the whole hog?

25028-clip-art-graphic-of-a-tropical-palm-tree-cartoon-character-playing-ice-hockey-by-toons4biz.jpg25021-clip-art-graphic-of-a-tropical-palm-tree-cartoon-character-skiing-downhill-by-toons4biz.jpg25008-clip-art-graphic-of-a-tropical-palm-tree-cartoon-character-with-a-snowman-on-christmas-by-toons4biz.jpg

Being serious for a sec, having one quite summery mascot and one wintery one could be an intersting take on Sochi as a destination and its Winter Games. I haven't thought it through properly, but there's a thought for you if you like Vlad.

25028-clip-art-graphic-of-a-tropical-palm-tree-cartoon-character-playing-ice-hockey-by-toons4biz.jpg25021-clip-art-graphic-of-a-tropical-palm-tree-cartoon-character-skiing-downhill-by-toons4biz.jpg25008-clip-art-graphic-of-a-tropical-palm-tree-cartoon-character-with-a-snowman-on-christmas-by-toons4biz.jpg

Izzy redux?? :blink:

I had thought of the summer-winter mix, but I think the paradox of that would just go over the heads of the kids and kid-minded adults. ;) One shouldn't make the mascot(s) too complex or witty in and of themselves. After all, their point is merely to be a mid-priced souvenir of the Games and to sell quickly...without second thoughts!! :D

Did anyone see the Simpson's Vancouver 2010 episode, where Bart faked a pin trade deal by cutting out Homer's ID photo, used the Homer's mouth portion, flipped it upside down and called it Sochi's mascot?

Bart called it Fatov and it was hilarious.

Did anyone see the Simpson's Vancouver 2010 episode, where Bart faked a pin trade deal by cutting out Homer's ID photo, used the Homer's mouth portion, flipped it upside down and called it Sochi's mascot?

"Pack your winter coat because we're going to the warmest city in Canada!" - Homer Simpson

SimpsonsVancouver2010.jpg

:lol:B)

The episode is online. Just search for The Simpsons: Boy Meets Curl Season 21 Episode 12. I don't think a lot of people know there was a Simpsons Vancouver 2010 episode. I think I'll start a thread for it in the Vancouver section.

His name is Fatov. He represents Russian sloth and alcoholism

The episode was funny, but Bart spelled "Sochi" incorrect :(

Say hello to what I believe is the current front runner for the Sochi 2014 mascot...

dceyvp.jpg

Tovarisch The T-34 Tank will stop for nothing or no one when it comes to pushing through for Sochi's Olympic success. A happy chappy who likes nothing more than shooting at the biathlon range or skidding down the slalom course Tovarisch welcomes all the world (except for anyone associated with Operation Barbarossa) to the Crimean host city for the 2014 OWGs....

Say hello to what I believe is the current front runner for the Sochi 2014 mascot...

dceyvp.jpg

Tovarisch The T-34 Tank will stop for nothing or no one when it comes to pushing through for Sochi's Olympic success. A happy chappy who likes nothing more than shooting at the biathlon range or skidding down the slalom course Tovarisch welcomes all the world (except for anyone associated with Operation Barbarossa) to the Crimean host city for the 2014 OWGs....

Oh... Russian stereotypes... :angry::( This post makes me upset :(:(

By the way, there is no tanks or military in Sochi! And Sochi is not a Crimean city (SURPRISE). Sochi is a Caucasian city. I can't help speaking, that students in Russia know were Perth and Boston are but mature guys from Australia don't know what Black Sea is.

e675cd.jpg

So nekulturny hmmm Vladislav...spasiba for the correction re Sochi's geographical correction however I wonder if the IOC were just as well directed when they awarded the OWGs to a seaside resort with barely any winter sport infrastructure.

I promise to go away and read some more Dostoyevsky whilst drinking Stolchinya and listening to Dima Bilan as my penance for perpetrating a stereotypical insult against Mother Russia.

Also, Crimea is not Russia, but Ukraine ;)

Give the Rodina time Athan...give them time :P

Is Prometheus a crazy idea or it will be OK for my bid?

Well, apparently the organizers of the Leningrad 1994 bid had this

http://www.aldaver.com/Images/Owb/94/ms1994b1.jpg

for their possible mascot.

Also, Crimea is not Russia, but Ukraine ;)

Well, Ukraine was part of RUSSRIA for most of the 20th century...so therefore at that time, it was RussRian. :P

Ukraine was a part of Russia most of our history, our peoples have similar history. I'm not "pure" Russian btw, I am semi armenian semi russian/ukranian ;)

Russia is a huge federation, but I think that Ukraine will get a uniqe way of development and if it is independent state. I belive, that competition between neighboring nations will cause positive changes in our economies. One of the reasons of Ussr colapse was stagnation because all of soviet states mostly did their specific job (Georgia-resort, Ukraine-heavy industry and space tech, Armenia-food procesing etc.). United by culture and by history but separeted politicaly we, former Ussr nations will improve our own prosperity ways.

Well, apparently the organizers of the Leningrad 1994 bid had this

http://www.aldaver.com/Images/Owb/94/ms1994b1.jpg

for their possible mascot.

Oh, man! It seems like all 1994 mascots were supposed to be human-like :rolleyes: That's what I don't like in a mascot. I don't mind if they are animals or nothing (like Wenlock and Mandeville) and look like humans but I don't like them to be humans themselves :P

Ukraine was a part of Russia most of our history, our peoples have similar history. I'm not "pure" Russian btw, I am semi armenian semi russian/ukranian ;)

Armenia is such an interesting country! :D I don't know why I like it that much, but it's the opposite I think about Azerbaijan since they poisoned Spanish and Ukranian women's hockey teams so that they could qualify for the Beijing Olympics with no problems - and not even this way they got it, Spain beat them in the final match and went to Beijing :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the other hand, Georgia is the neutral country for me among those three, neither I like it nor I hate it...

Taken from Wikipedia:

The Lubyanka (Cyrillic: Лубянка) is the popular name for the headquarters of the KGB and affiliated prison on Lubyanka Square in Moscow. It is a large building with a facade of yellow brick, designed by Alexander V. Ivanov in 1897 and augmented by Aleksey Shchusev in 1940-1947.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived