Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mattygs

Atlanta 96 KODAK Flash Moment

So, the Atlanta 96 ceremonies have constantly been bagged by many a person, including on here. I on the other hand think they were one of the most well crafted opening ceremonies I have seen, at least from the 90s style of ceremonies we saw plenty of.

One thing though has always left me wondering, each time I watch it on dvd.

During the closing ceremony there was a *Kodak Flash Moment* effect, I guess, where everyone flashed a camera at a certain stage.

What effect was this trying to achieve, was it Atlanta's version of Bjork's frock failing to expand as per planned?

Any ideas about this small but curious question?

I don't recall much of the Closing (since I wasn't part of that...and had fought with the producers, so they cut me off...which sort of was premeditated anyway); and I don't recall that moment in what I have seen of the Closing...but I think it was a corporate moment more than anything. I don't (or didn't have the Closing Ceremony Audience Kit) but I can only deduce that sponsor Kodak threw in a disposable flash camera there and what better way to have a great effect than to stage a coordinated flash moment.

I think it had nothing to do like a Bjork moment altho the idea of 8,000 flashes going off under Bjork's ever-expanding "skirt" might have been a TRULY astounding effect...even for her!!

video? video?

I remember my brother mentioning something about this but I missed it because I was watching the CBC broadcast.

I haven't been able to find a video of it. But Baron, I think you're right. It didn't really seem to do much to be honest. It was held when the athletes were all out on the field milling around, just before the concert was starting. Our TVNZ commentators only made mention of it, when saying that you could still see the last of the haze around the stadium.

I do not remember this moment either. I tried to look it up on youtube but found nothing. I did like the closing ceremony concert. The athletes looked like they were having a blast dancing to the music as opposed to other closing ceremonies (Vancouver's awkward roast).