Commonwealth Games chair denies misusing funds

SkiFreak

Commonwealth Games chair denies misusing funds

Last Updated: Saturday, July 31, 2010 | 1:32 PM ET

The Associated Press

The Commonwealth Games organizing committee rejected accusations that it paid nearly $600,000 US to a small London-based company for services including car rentals, makeshift toilets and road barriers.

The TimesNow television channel claimed the committee transferred nearly $585,000 to the A.M. Films company, which has also been receiving ongoing payments of nearly $32,500 a month.

"I am deeply pained by totally unfounded and baseless allegations by the channel," committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi said Saturday.

He added that he would sue it for defamation.

The New Delhi Commonwealth Games have been plagued by delays in the construction of infrastructure and venues, which should have been finished months ago to host test events. Competition is set to start on Oct. 3... (continued)

Full article: CBC: Commonwealth Games chair denies misusing funds

And this...

NEW DELHI (AFP) - The New Delhi Commonwealth Games was rocked by fresh scandal with reports Saturday alleging that building quality certificates had been faked as costs for the 12-day event ballooned With barely two months to go before the Commonwealth Games start in October, the sporting extravaganza has been caught up in a flood of allegations of rampant corruption"Fake certificates were routinely issued to pass substandard work and material," an unnamed official of the Central Vigilance Commission, a government watchdog body, was quoted as saying by the Times of India. Other certificates were "suspect," the official said."We have not yet been able to gauge the financial implication but it is certain to have led to very big gains for vendors and contractors," he said.

Very worrying! Corruption seems to be rife in India,along with much of the rest of Asia (Japan and Singapore excepted).I think it has definitely scuppered any aspirations New Delhi may have to host an Olympics anytime soon (although a visibly successful Games in October might put their chances back on track).

Actually,I don't get the impression that Indians are all that interested in Olympic sports anyway.Whenever I flick over to Sky's NDTV24x7 channel,a good portion of it seems to be devoted to cricket,the only sport Indians appear to have any enthusiasm for.So I wonder how many of 'em genuinely care about the CWGs or the Olympics?

We don't seem to have any Indian posters on here to pick up on any of these issues. Which would seem to prove my point!

Very worrying! Corruption seems to be rife in India,along with much of the rest of Asia (Japan and Singapore excepted).I think it has definitely scuppered any aspirations New Delhi may have to host an Olympics anytime soon (although a visibly successful Games in October might put their chances back on track).

Actually,I don't get the impression that Indians are all that interested in Olympic sports anyway.Whenever I flick over to Sky's NDTV24x7 channel,a good portion of it seems to be devoted to cricket,the only sport Indians appear to have any enthusiasm for.So I wonder how many of 'em genuinely care about the CWGs or the Olympics?

We don't seem to have any Indian posters on here to pick up on any of these issues. Which would seem to prove my point!

Indian interest in sport is certainly dominated by cricket, with a great tradition in hockey and to a lesser extent (at least in terms of the CGs) weightlifting, shooting and wrestling. And aside from some of the generic 'look at how good things are in my home town posts' from Arush (who unlike so many others who when faced with criticism of their home town leap to their defence in here, has gone deathly quiet) the pro-Delhi lobby is almost null and void here. I'm not sure whether the IOC would take much notice of the problems inherent with the current CG infrastructure and organisation for Delhi 2010 (they've accepted bids from other less developed host cities before). However they will be sure to have a very guarded approach to accepting a bid which could mire the IOC in some seriously damaged PR relating to any whiff of corruption and political one-upmanship.

And the first heads are rolling:

Delhi Games treasurer quits in corruption row

The treasurer of the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games has resigned and three senior officials have been suspended amid allegations of corruption.

Anil Khanna, the treasurer of the organising committee, fell on his sword over an alleged conflict of interest.

Three other officials, TS Darbari, Sanjay Mohindroo and M Jeyachandran, have been suspended because of accusations of corruption in the Queen's Baton Relay.

The organisers have appointed their own investigation team to examine the latest allegations.

The international Commonwealth Games Federation is demanding a full report but the Indian government has rejected requests for an independent inquiry.

The Games are scheduled to open on October 3.

ABC

And I see in another story that the organising committee has ben accused of buying toilet paper for $89 a roll. I assume they must be made from recycled historically significant documents.

Wonder how all this will affect CGF attitudes towards Sri Lanka's plan to bring the games to the President's home village.

B)

And it just seems to get worse. Now Her Maj seems to be very, very far from amused:

British queen furious over CWG baton controversy

LONDON: The British Queen is in "cold fury" over allegations of financial irregularities involving a British firm and the Commonwealth Games baton relay, a media report said on Sunday.

Daily Express on Sunday reported that the baton, which has a message from the Queen, has been tainted by claims it has been used by a British firm to cash in on the Royal brand. The baton is carried by runners around the world, before it arrives at the host city New Delhi.

The CWG organising committee is alleged to have paid AM Films, an Indian-owned firm in London, over 450,000 pounds for services during the Queen's Baton Relay inaugural without proper tendering and paper work.

The Commonwealth Games Organising Committee (CGOC) has formed a three-member panel to probe the allegations that a letter from the Indian High Commission in London, which CGOC claimed recommended AM Films for the Queen's Baton Relay inaugural in October last year, was tampered with.

The media report said that the Queen is understood to be in a "cold fury" over the affair, which she sees as besmirching the symbolic baton.

A diplomatic source in India was quoted as saying: "The Queen's goodwill in launching the baton in London has led to her being caught up in this matter although she is an innocent party."

The Commonwealth Games are going to be held in New Delhi from October 3 to 14.

Times of India

Read more: British queen furious over CWG baton controversy - UK - World - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/uk/British-queen-furious-over-CWG-baton-controversy/articleshow/6274387.cms#ixzz0w0W9i3Zr

Archived