YOG Opening Ceremony Rehearsal

Anyway, for the videos i've seen, it doesnt look spectacular like Beijing or Vancouver, and some of the segments look very boring (also, we'll only see the entrance of the flags but no athletes?? :blink: )) but i'll give it a try. Anyway i wasnt expecting too much of it so i guess its ok.

You note it in your expectation... Yes, we should not compare it to Opening for Summer or Winter Olympic Games.... the budget are not the same... I supposed, ceremonies is remaining one of the main budget of the YOG, but it probably 10 times lesser than for the Olympics....

The overall budget presented in the bid book was US$ 75.5 millions with 3.5 millions for ceremonies. I hear that the budget reached US$ 100 millions... so probably ceremonies' budgets have been a little bit increased !

Edited by memorabilia
  • Like 1

Elements such as a single character, whether a boy who carries a lantern and faces his fears at the Salt Lake Opening (oh yea this was another copy by Singapore, in Salt Lake there was this 'monster/ scary forest segment), or Nikki Webster going into a dream sequence that leads to the Ocean, on to the Desert, to Rebirth, and finally traces on a very mature and emphatic theme of reconciliation between the aborigines and the whites. Empathy is the key to getting the message to stick.

Yes, an emphatic or simple narrative really pumps up the show to another level in terms of an audience connection.

Also, two other very good kid-hook ceremonies - both in 2006:

1. the Melbourne CWG -- with the little boy and his pet duck;

2. Doha 2006 - a young (shall we say, "Aladdin") and his lamp

Singapore should've at least gone with a couple of punk kids and their Blackberrys...or at least iPhones!! :D

I was at the 3rd combined rehearsal. Must say that in general, it does leave alot to be desired too. I only stayed through to the end coz I just love ceremonies, but I am not sure if I loved this one.

There are just some elements of the ceremony which baffles rather than entertain or educate. I overheard an audience member quipping that the monster segment seems to be idolising monsters than anything. And that big fish with lots of small fishes making up its body left me wondering if it was a case of big fish eat small fish or what?

Just what are they trying to say? The audience clearly felt the same way.

What's saddening, is that we Singaporeans know the organisers are more than capable of putting up a more palatable and memorable show. Each year, we are regularly entertained by grandiose National Day Parades, with the last one just happening yesterday. We have had four NDPs held at the same venue as the YOGOC, and they have all managed to take full advantage of the location, without the audience falling asleep. But the YOGOC seemed to be a contained within that little seaside cocoon, not expanding its reach into the vast bay beyond, not including the skyline as its backdrop, but creating some kind of boxy, skeletal thing which reminds me of containers in a shipyard. And even then, that background serves no real purpose except for the flag bearers to stand on in the final moments of the ceremony. And so they have a pool of water. So what? It again serves no real purpose other than to force all the performers to get their feet wet.

Singapore waited forever for this day to welcome the world. This was an opportunity to showcase Singapore like never before. And then they decided to let us all down with a show which screams "low-budget" and "amateurish" in more ways than one.

I hope to see subtitles when it is shown on TV.

Singapore should've at least gone with a couple of punk kids and their Blackberrys...or at least iPhones!! :D

Actually, they have. Lots of punk kids with their funky dances, and constant reminders that this is the iPhone generation. Oh gawd.

A song that globally known will be played in between, and might make you smile from heart. :)

I sat through the ceremony and I did not remember hearing any song which made me smile from the heart, let alone the face.

Unless it is that "scissors paper stone" thing. I cringed rather than smile.

Wow. If this were a Broadway show, this would've already closed even before it opens.

One note: top Org Committee staffer told me in Olympia that this is really a budget-Olympics....the IOC wants it that way. So I guess just a cheap, 2nd-class Ceremony for the kids. They'll have to earn their way up to the real thing in London.

On a side note: Interestingly IOC does not state that one needs to have a lavish opening event, technically, it could very well have only one performer for all they care! Of course the world expects more than that LOL.

Ah...but see (in my signature) what my great-grandpappy very wisely said about Ceremonies. Who should one follow? Those unimaginative, corporate gnomes of Lausanne or the spirit of great-grandpappy, the founder and very soul of Olympism?? :lol:

I will need at least 2 or 3 great photos for the new chapter in the 2012 edition!!

The main issue is not about grandeur or needing lavish, flamboyant scene changes as we have seen in the Summer OCs.

The problem with this Singaporean ceremony is the lack of a coherent story line and the lack of creating empathy amongst those in the arena.

We have seen many ceremonies where there is just a single person - one central focal point that pulls everyone in through the reciting of a powerful prophetic poem (such as vancouver) or KD Lang's song which will endure forever.

Elements such as a single character, whether a boy who carries a lantern and faces his fears at the Salt Lake Opening (oh yea this was another copy by Singapore, in Salt Lake there was this 'monster/ scary forest segment), or Nikki Webster going into a dream sequence that leads to the Ocean, on to the Desert, to Rebirth, and finally traces on a very mature and emphatic theme of reconciliation between the aborigines and the whites. Empathy is the key to getting the message to stick.

When Athens flooded their stadium there was such a strong symbolic justification to it - cultural, geographical, historical links to the universal image of the Mediterranean Sea. Same with Sydney's desert in Stadium Australia.

In Singapore, there is no conceptual link, historical, cultural or geographical reason for doing many things they did.

I find it quite questionable why they would have American pop music and soundtrack from Shrek...so this ceremony doesn't showcase Singapore's culture and history at all? I find that quite shocking, because even with a low budget you should still be able to showcase it.

But I've never had high expectations considering the likely low-budget of it. I think Singapore will have more opportunities to welcome the world in much bigger ways, but the Youth Olympics aren't one of them. It's very much more of a civic event and celebration than a world one, especially considering the likely very, very...very low tv ratings it will acquire.

On the other hand, I've heard the national day celebrations are incredible.

But does the message that these are the inaugural Youth (well, 14-18) Olympics games get through? I would think that's what the OC would try to convey.

See, I am sure they had to run the show content by the IOC, and if they approved it, then any failing is also theirs. But then again, they are technically not a 'show biz' organization.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

It is after all, organized by the military and essentially a display by military personal.

Ok I can't give a full response now till tonight, but I think you gotta verify this statement. I am 100% sure military personal are almost absent as performers on the stage, with their only role assigned to moving the heavier props.

Yes and if you look at the pictures closely, on page 88, you will see a bunch of military guys discussing what to do with the smiling bee. Some are in slacks, and two are in military camouflaged uniforms :D

Let's just say - the planning committee for this sat's OC has a disproportionate number of military personnel vs. designers/ creatives/ and advertising peeps.

Maybe they're sharing production intelligence with their colleagues from Pyongyang and Havana? :D

(Anyway, I don't know if we're talking the same edition or not, but I just looked at page 88 of what I assume is Ric Birch's book...and that is a text page. There is only ONE photo of those Singapore '88 (why are all Asian numbers popping up as "8"'s...but I digress) festivities; in the color section, and it's of a little boy watching the pyros. But I don't doubt you. I mean, if the country is not at war...what else should they do but stage spectacles? Right?

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Yes and if you look at the pictures closely, on page 88, you will see a bunch of military guys discussing what to do with the smiling bee. Some are in slacks, and two are in military camouflaged uniforms :D

I found the pic/page. I don't know why I didn't see it the first time. Sometimes one can't see his own glasses even if they are hanging over one's head. he-he..