YOG Opening Ceremony Rehearsal

Just went to the YOG Opening Ceremony rehearsal last night. To keep the integrity of the event, I will not reveal much, only give you guys a bit sneak preview. :)

There was a pre-show for the audience between 7.30pm to 8.10pm. The whole world will start watching Singapore from 8.00pm, and then the 10 minutes countdown was started after that.

A song that globally known will be played in between, and might make you smile from heart. :)

It seems that some of the ceremony segments had been shorten, as some performance we really did not know what they wanted to express. Screen was purposely been distorted as well.

In this rehearsal, we couldn't watch some of the videos, as they just putting the word like "DNA video playing", "band playing", blah blah blah...

The segment of displaying the Olympic Rings was not shown. They might just want to keep the secret until 14 August.

Of course the most traditional part of the Olympic Ceremony could not be missed. 205 NOC flags were matching in, followed by the Olympic flag. The audience cheered and shouted whenever the countries that just played in 2010 FIFA World Cup, especially Spain! Haha! First time hear the live Olympic Anthem, feeling very nice. :)

The most interesting part were the speech part. The reprsentatives of "Jagge Rouge" and "SYOCOG CEO" just pronouced "Speech Start, Speech End". We all laughed and clapped. Haha!

There was no firework on the rehearsal night, kind of dissapointed.

In the meantime, the transportation rehearsal also been carried out in between the YOG Village (in NUC, west part of Singapore) to Marina Bay. Thus, we saw lots of purple YOG buses lining up before the ceremony begin.

Ok ok, I reveal a little bit more, more GamesBids dude... :)

The real show started at exactly 10 minutes, which is going to be live to 2 billion people worldwide. A video was played to showcase Singapore.

About 8.05pm, the spotlight went into the centre of the stage, and a group of kids are playing there. How they play, watch it yourself on 14 Aug. :) As I mentioned earlier, there will be a globally well-known song to be played, which might make you smile from heart.

Countdown started about 8.08pm, with the drum playing around the stadium. There was no firework when the clock striked exactly 8.10pm, thus I do not know what kind of atmosphere will be brought out when the Opening Ceremony officially starts.

Atheletes were invited in to watch the show together, and they were just came in with a big group, regardless of countries.

The show was seperated into several chapter. The 4th chapter is about the History of Singapore, which the giant dolls will "walk" to the audience. I did not take the photo, but my friend did. Might need to wait for her to upload the photo first, then only can show you dude.

Another chapter is about the Monster. This segment just look like any of the video games, where a giant Monster will eventually stand in the middle of the stage. As mentioned earlier, we really don't know what message they want to bring in. Could it be about "the kids nowadays just like to play video games, and the Monsters are those video games"???

There will be a segment that the fishes (with light) coming out of the water. There is a pool at the end of the stage, which only about 20cm height (I guess so). The segment was nice, but the ending was a bit weird --> The fishes same out from the pool, and go up to the dry stage, and these fishes became the body part of a giant dragon. The well-designed dragon just walked from one end of the stage to another end. Our impression is "Huhh? What is that dragon doing????"

To be continued....

An audience of 2-billion people? :unsure:

A legitimate question. I just did a internet search to find out whether any German TV channel will broadcast the ceremony or anything else of the Olympic Youth Games. I found absolutely nothing. Or is the ceremony broadcast online?

There will be a segment named 'Citius Autius Fortius', whereby the wide screen will showcase the route of Singapore 2010 starting from the day that Singapore won the bid. After that, a giant peach-like object will be opened, and a pianist is inside. If anyone still remember Neijing Opening, sounds familiar right?

To be continued...

1.3 billion are from China for sure, as Nanjing will be the host city for 2014 Games.

I am sure not EVERY citizen of the PRC will be watching this. I mean the Beijing Opening Ceremony drew, like 892 million Chinese. How can the Singapore YOG draw an ENTIRE nation (other than Singapore)? Even 500 million for China alone would be VERY HIGH...Nanjing or not.

Desmond, even at Olympia, with all the myriad of nationalities that happened to be visiting the site on the 2 days I was, the mention of YOG drew completely blank stares. What is that? It'll take a few YOGs before this thing catches on to common consciousness like the regular OGs do.

I am sure not EVERY citizen of the PRC will be watching this. I mean the Beijing Opening Ceremony drew, like 892 million Chinese. How can the Singapore YOG draw an ENTIRE nation (other than Singapore)? Even 500 million for China alone would be VERY HIGH...Nanjing or not.

Desmond, even at Olympia, with all the myriad of nationalities that happened to be visiting the site on the 2 days I was, the mention of YOG drew completely blank stares. What is that? It'll take a few YOGs before this thing catches on to common consciousness like the regular OGs do.

Hi Baron,

For sure that there will not be all the nation will be watching on YOG. :D I meant that the media in China (CCTV) will broadcast the YOG Opening Ceremony, which can be viewed by 1.3 billion people.

Just like previous OG Opening, it said that there were 4 billion people watching it, do you believe the figure? The figure was basicaaly based on the total viewers can be reached by the broadcaster.

Okay, before I go to sleep, here are some opening ceremony photos that can be shared. These photos were taken from Facebook, and I just link some of the photos here...

38865_413865238821_52423378821_4664478_3420624_n.jpg

The segment before countdown.

38865_413865248821_52423378821_4664480_2864551_n.jpg

38865_413865268821_52423378821_4664484_6278815_n.jpg

Secret hidding inside the container -> Singapore Night view.

38865_413865273821_52423378821_4664485_7541023_n.jpg

No flood... but the pool used for the Opening Ceremony.

38865_413865278821_52423378821_4664486_4285786_n.jpg

Dancers in the segment of "Playing".

39677_413865388821_52423378821_4664498_4949011_n.jpg

38459_413864983821_52423378821_4664461_254996_n.jpg

39677_413865398821_52423378821_4664500_5403398_n.jpg

The "fishes" eventually will be the body part of the giant dragon.

Just like previous OG Opening, it said that there were 4 billion people watching it, do you believe the figure?

Even for 4 billion for say, the Beijing Opening, is extremely high. I mean do they measure viewing habits in India, Pakistan, Russia, Indonesia, Nigeria, Bangladesh? I am sure in the US, Canada, most of western Europe, Japan, China, Korea, Oz, the Philippines to a certain extent, maybe Brazil and Argentina, they probably do--which is why they were able to get those figures. My real guess for Beijing might have been more like 2.85 billion worldwide. The Winter Games OC probably 1 billion less...so maybe 1.7 - 1.8 billion.

These Youth Olympic Games will hardly be watched by anyone, that's the sad truth. The tv viewership will likely remain well under 100-million for Singapore 2010. It doesn't share the same prestige that the real Summer and Winter Games have, nowhere close. It's far too small and especially amateurish, IMO, to gain and develop the same type of interest the big Games have. But it is a great little civic event for Singapore to celebrate on its own.

Baron's 2.85-billion figure for Beijing is quite accurate, all of China was practically tuning in for its own Olympic Opening Ceremony. Coverage was available to about 4-billion people worldwide. Beijing's Summer Games ratings were inflated quite a bit because of China's domestic ratings and general worldwide interest for the Chinese Games. Ratings for the Summer Games are usually at around 2-billion.

For Vancouver and Salt Lake, 1-billion tuned in for the Opening Ceremonies....800-million for Torino. Coverage is available to 3-billion people worldwide.

Based on the current situation, and as an Olympic fans, I agree with Baron and Mr. X's facts that Singapore 2010 will not draw much the attention, unless the global media play their part well.

I had asked somebody about the global tv/Internet coverage, but yet get an answer.

I'd like to watch the ceremonies and some events but I think I won't be able to do that, unless there is an internet coverage. The Spanish Television has said nothing about the YOG... Well, yes, during the European Athletics Championships, a young girl was interviewed and she said she had achieved qualification for the Youth Olympics :rolleyes: but it wasn't attached importance to it, so I think 99% of Spanish people (or more) won't know about the Singapore YOG :unsure:

Just some things to note, similarities between what is here and previous ceremonies:

Water based stage - Athens Opening

Opening Giant Drums? - Beijing Closing/ Athens Opening

Fire dance Segment - Sydney Opening

Fishes running around _ Sydney's Deep sea Dreaming

Giant Book/ Monster segment?? - Doha Opening

Flower/ rebirth segment?? - Sydney Opening

DNA strands during the national flags march-in?? - Athens Opening had it's iconic DNA (but then again IOC has this "YOG-DNA" theme, so can't fault SG2010 on this)

Cauldron stands right in the center of the staging so no need to even imagine anything interesting on this. We can forget any fancy Sydney cauldron rising from the water, Vancouver hydraulics or Beijing flying stunts.

I would watch it if you are a ceremony buff and like to analyze such spectacles.

If not I say give it a MISS!!! (esp. if you are in a time zone that requires one to wake at 3 AM)

You also forgot the entrance of the Singaporean flag. Very similar to Beijing 2008 (same thing happened on the 2010 Central American Games with the puertorrican flag). Talking about originality.

Anyway, for the videos i've seen, it doesnt look spectacular like Beijing or Vancouver, and some of the segments look very boring (also, we'll only see the entrance of the flags but no athletes?? :blink: )) but i'll give it a try. Anyway i wasnt expecting too much of it so i guess its ok.