Copa America: Argentina 2011

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to the Charrúas!!!

Now, Uruguay is the biggest champions of Copa Amerca with 15 trophies - A bit unfair count, since, for example, Brazil didn't played many of them, specially in the 20s and 30s (when the cup was every year)

Anyway, Conmebol recongnizes all South American championships - no matter the name or who played - as Copa America titles...

Maybe Uruguay will be the biggest champion forever since this can be also the last Copa America as we know it, or with this name.

Brazil is pressing to be the first host of the new Copa Americas (or other name to be chosen) in 2015 - the new tournament with 10 Conmebol and 6 Concacaf national squads.

According Painel FC a very-trusted sports column in Folha de S. Paulo newspaper, few details need to be reached to announce the new tournament, so far named "Copa Americas".

Let's wait for new developments on it.

I do honestly think CONCACAF and COMMEBOL should merge. It provides two pivotal benefits. 1) North and Central American football teams will get regular top competition and 2) The combined number of federations would mean that South America would not be under-represented in FIFA congresses anymore allowing for a more balance between Americas, Europe, Africa and Asia (50, 53, 55 and 46) and the World Cup could be broken up as 8.5, 13.5, 5.5, 4 and 0.5 (for Oceania). The only drawback is weaker CONCACAF teams like Honduras and Costa Rica would have a tougher time qualifying against Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay, Peru, Colombia etc.

I totally in favour of merging continental tournaments like Liberatores Cup and Copa America.

But I don't agree with merging the confederations, because of World Cup Qualifiers.

Not nice to put strong South American squads to "virtually" fight for spots in the WC with tiny Caribbean islands with no tradition in football.

I think even the Concacaf teams doesn't want it because there is a reasonable chance of, in some World Cup, we have 9 (of 10) South American teams in the World Cup and none from Concacaf.

I also support the inclusion of CONCACAF into CONMEBOL. North and Central American countries taking part of the Copa Libertadores and Copa América, while we can still keep the Concacaf Champions League and the Copa Sudamericana for more regional cups. Copa América should be with the 10 South American countries plus Mexico and the US and the winners and runner-ups of the Central American Cup and Caribbean Cup (and Canada taking part in one of those).

Also, merging both confederations could be an opportunity to clean them and get rid of corruption. Difficult, I know, but it would be a great opportunity to kick Nicolás Leoz out...

I also support the inclusion of CONCACAF into CONMEBOL. North and Central American countries taking part of the Copa Libertadores and Copa América, while we can still keep the Concacaf Champions League and the Copa Sudamericana for more regional cups. Copa América should be with the 10 South American countries plus Mexico and the US and the winners and runner-ups of the Central American Cup and Caribbean Cup (and Canada taking part in one of those).

Also, merging both confederations could be an opportunity to clean them and get rid of corruption. Difficult, I know, but it would be a great opportunity to kick Nicolás Leoz out...

that would bring down the level of conmebol's football because there are dozens of island-ish countries that are members of concacaf.

It could work in Copa America but you can FORGET about Libertadores, there's a snowball chance in hell of Libertadores having teams from CONCACAF except the big countries like Mexico and USA. Even adding USA teams would be troublesome due to the travel distances..

Pretty unrealistic.

And you can't really compare it with the Champions league because Brazil alone is bigger than Europe (if count russia as an asian country as you should). Going from the south of Brazil to mexico is already really tiresome, if not for the money Fox pours into conmebol it wouldn't happen.

Copa America needs to Add Mexico and USA as permanent members and that's all

Or maybe add more 6 teams to make 4 groups of 4 but CA's level is already not that high, if you add the "islanders" it would turn the Cup into ****.

oh and as dannybrasileirin said, concacaf teams also wouldn't want that because they would lose a somewhat easy path to the WC. 3 1/2 spots in a continent there's only one football power (and mexico is really not a powerhouse).

KRAKT, a lot of members of concacaf were involved in corruption acts in the past. they also wouldn't want to lose their power and their access to easy money.

that would bring down the level of conmebol's football because there are dozens of island-ish countries that are members of concacaf.

It could work in Copa America but you can FORGET about Libertadores, there's a snowball chance in hell of Libertadores having teams from CONCACAF except the big countries like Mexico and USA. Even adding USA teams would be troublesome due to the travel distances..

Pretty unrealistic.

Well, the same you can say about the UEFA Champions League and the microstates.

For sure, Antigua and Barbuda can't have the same number of representants than Colombia. But you can put different rounds: for example, Andorra sends the winner of their league and they have to play at least three rounds before meeting, for example, FC Barcelona. Besides, it is not something as different as the Qualification Round that some South American teams play currently for Copa Libertadores.

And you can't really compare it with the Champions league because Brazil alone is bigger than Europe (if count russia as an asian country as you should). Going from the south of Brazil to mexico is already really tiresome, if not for the money Fox pours into conmebol it wouldn't happen.

Probably, the costs will rise because of larger distances. But the revenues will also increase, including a big market like the United States and potentially Canada.

Copa America needs to Add Mexico and USA as permanent members and that's all

Or maybe add more 6 teams to make 4 groups of 4 but CA's level is already not that high, if you add the "islanders" it would turn the Cup into ****.

Just as I said, there should be a qualification system to invite 4 other teams. Maybe Mexico, Canada, the US, two Central American (Honduras and Costa Rica) and one Caribbean (Jamaica or T&T). All the teams I mentioned before have a better ranking than Bolivia and half of them have a better ranking than Venezuela, Ecuador and Colombia. So I wouldn't say that it would turn the Cup into c***.

The first round of the Copa América was terrible. Why? Because it is not competitive: three of four teams qualify to the next round. Draw the three matches and you are in. We need to make it more competitive and making a 4x4 tournament would be great for that.

oh and as dannybrasileirin said, concacaf teams also wouldn't want that because they would lose a somewhat easy path to the WC. 3 1/2 spots in a continent there's only one football power (and mexico is really not a powerhouse).

I think this is the biggest problem for a potential merge of both confederations. Mexico and the US won't leave their privileges to qualify almost automatically for the next WCs.

KRAKT, a lot of members of concacaf were involved in corruption acts in the past. they also wouldn't want to lose their power and their access to easy money.

That's why i said "difficult" ;)

Forget it, there are lots of Leózes and Blatters around in the football world. You get rid of one and other will continue the "legacy"...

As I said in the other thread, it's a hopeless situation.

I think, first, Copa America must be merged for 2015. It's worthy for everybody.

Libertadores and Concacaf CL can or can not be merged...

In Concacaf they also have other smaller tournaments. Put these tournaments as qualifying for Libertadores and teams from Concacaf can only fight against Conmebol in round of 16... This is a possibility.

Archived