Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mau2010

Copa America: Argentina 2011

And the mascot is an ostrich (why every mascot on an argentina tournament has to be an ostrich :mellow: ? )

Ostrich again!!! Creativeness is not a strong point of Argentine culture! laugh.gif

Ostrich again!!! Creativeness is not a strong point of Argentine culture! laugh.gif

Yeah...I mean, we did a bird, again, in 2007, but at least it was better :P

guaky.gif

Although i gotta admit their draw was more classy. Ours was cheesy like hell.

PD: There is a purposal on the congress to give the new Estadio Unico in La Plata the name of ''Nestor Kirchner''... politicians *sigh*

Oh, dear Argentina... why you have to be like this. I wasn't able to watch the draw but I'm very thankful I couldn't... I heard that it worst than a 80's Festival de la OTI... 1 hour of stupid supposed artistic representations (including a huaso with long hair, wtf!), boring speeches and the same mascot than the 2001 U20 WC (I loved Guaky FYI). CONMEBOL even criticized the stadiums beside La Plata and Monumental and the air transportation.

About the draw... certainly, Argentina is the most favoured and the Group C is the group of death. In any case, if Harold Mayne Nichols is not the president of FFCh and Marcelo Bielsa is not our coach, I give a crap about La Roja... and I will be supporting even to Perú.

Hopefully this will be the last Copa America... Time for PanAmerican Cup!

Nah, keep Copa América but only expand it to 16 teams with Mexico and US with a secure spot.

Why would you change the name only because one of the countries calls the continent in another way?

And as I always said, the best thing would be merging CONMEBOL and CONCACAF, not only for this...

Nah, keep Copa América but only expand it to 16 teams with Mexico and US with a secure spot.

Why would you change the name only because one of the countries calls the continent in another way?

And as I always said, the best thing would be merging CONMEBOL and CONCACAF, not only for this...

Then there would be two teams left, any other CONCACAF team or even Japan? (I heard that they're an important sponsor for CONMEBOL events (like Nissan for South American Cup) so that's why they invited them)

Then there would be two teams left, any other CONCACAF team or even Japan? (I heard that they're an important sponsor for CONMEBOL events (like Nissan for South American Cup) so that's why they invited them)

10 South American

6 North American after qualification

That's it.

Maybe an option could be the US and Mexico qualifying directly (or a mini tournament with Canada for two spots) and the champion and vicechampion of the last Caribbean Championship and of the Central American Cup. For 2011, it could be: CONMEBOL members + Mexico, US, Jamaica, Grenada, Panamá and Costa Rica. Or maybe Canada instead of the second place in the Caribbean. I don't know...

Argentina is behind in preparation for the Copa America

According Meiszner, Chairman of Committee the country has no sports infrastructure

Eight stadiums in Argentina will receive the 43rd edition of the Copa America in 2011, but according to Jose Luis Meiszner, president of the Organizing Committee, the country not have a competitive sports infrastructure to host the competition.

He confess that Argentina is delayed and South America is a place in the world where there are not many opportunities to succeed.

Meiszner assured, however, that the stadium Ciudad de La Plata, with capacity for 53,000 fans, the only covered in Argentina and where the opening match will be played on July 3, may compete with the most modern developed countries.

The province of San Juan in the west of the country, assumed the responsibility to build a new stadium, called "Bicentennial", with capacity for 25,000 spectators and a budget of 21.6 million dollars.

The final of the Copa America will be July 24 at the stadium "Monumental" Antonio Liberti, of River Plate, where the Argentine national team plays its matches for the World Cup qualifiers and friendlies.

"It's a great responsibility to organize the Copa America for a month because the eyes of America and Japan, and Mexico will be in Argentina, so as millions of viewers over 200 countries," said Meiszner.

Source:

http://www.copa2014.org.br/noticias/5702/ARGENTINA+ESTA+ATRASADA+NA+PREPARACAO+A+COPA+AMERICA+DIZ+DIRIGENTE.html

10 South American

That's it.

Maybe an option could be the US and Mexico qualifying directly (or a mini tournament with Canada for two spots) and the champion and vicechampion of the last Caribbean Championship and of the Central American Cup. For 2011, it could be: CONMEBOL members + Mexico, US, Jamaica, Grenada, Panamá and Costa Rica. Or maybe Canada instead of the second place in the Caribbean. I don't know...

To be honest, I think they should just throw Canada in with the rest of the Carribean nations. Their soccer ability is par to those nations, and would get absolutely whupped in a Mexico vs. USA vs. Canada. And if they are doing North and South America, Canada is not good enough to just 'qualify'.

And how would entries for the Confederations Cup work?

UPDATE: Current state of the Estadio Unico

41494741.jpg

37434124.jpg

37548493.jpg

69993813.jpg

51474959.jpg

Amazing stadium, the most modern of the Copa America 2011, shame that they're not going to make the final match here but in the Monumental (which is bigger but uglier)

10 South American

That's it.

Don't need qualification. Just put the 6 best ranked from CONCACAF in FIFA's ranking.

And why change the name Dan? It's "Copa América", not "South America's Cup"

We can keep the name, no problems...

I only called "PanAmerican cup" to make my post smaller =]

No opposition on keeping the name =]

Talking about lack of originality...they copied the 3Dish effect of the 2007 Copa America. CONMEBOL should really give more freedom to organizers making their logos. UEFA did it after the 1992 Euro, why not them?

Talking about lack of originality...they copied the 3Dish effect of the 2007 Copa America. CONMEBOL should really give more freedom to organizers making their logos. UEFA did it after the 1992 Euro, why not them?

I agree, it has always been the same since 1997.

copa_america_bolivia97.gif

Copa_America_Paraguay_99.gif

copa_america_colombia2001.gif

botcopamerica.jpg

logo-copa-america-venezuela.jpg

It doesn't matter if there are some differrences, they could think that a good logo can be more than a flag and a ball with America on it.

2011 Copa America's opening match stadium reinaugurate

President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner and Buenos Aires province Governor Daniel Scioli currently lead the inauguration of the Estadio Único de La Plata, the first covered stadium in South America.

Interior Minister, Florencio Randazzo and the head of the Argentine Football Association, Julio Grondona, are also present in the inauguration.

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/59233/cfk-scioli-reinaugurate-the-estadio-%C3%BAnico-in-la-plata

Opening ceremony of the Estadio Unico

Awesome stadium..if only they worked harder on the Vespucio Liberti Stadium renovations we would also have a more spectacular stadia for the final

J.League postponed, Copa in doubt

As the nation struggles to come to terms with last week's devastating earthquake, Japan's J.League has postponed all matches in March and the national team may pull out of the Copa America, local media reported.

A total of 41 games were postponed to a date yet to be determined, but J.League chairman Kazumi Ohigashi said they would probably be held in July - the month Japan is due to make a guest appearance at the Copa America in Argentina, Japanese news agency Kyodo said.

"Things are very serious right now," Ohigashi said at J.League headquarters in Tokyo on Monday.

"With the aftershocks continuing and (us being) unable to guarantee complete safety at all the stadiums, the J.League has made the decision to cancel all J1, J2 and Nabisco (League) Cup matches for the rest of March.

"The J.League, Nabisco Cup fixtures are tight as it is. We have no choice but to play games in July. The plan is to play the existing number of J.League and Nabisco Cup games, and to do that we have to play during the Copa America."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/14032011/58/world-football-j-league-postponed-copa-doubt.html

Japan pulls out of Copa America

ASUNCION, Paraguay (AP) — Japan has withdrawn from this year's Copa America, leaving the 12-nation tournament with 11 teams three months before it starts.

The president of the Japanese Football Association Junji Ogura says Monday that the priority is for the country to rebuild after the devastating earthquake and tsunami that struck northeast Japan on March 11.

Japan and Mexico were invited as guest countries to the South American championship, which brings together the continent's 10 member federations

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2011-04-04-221442165_x.htm

This is sad news, even if Japan is not really an american team it would have been interesting to see them play on the cup.

Well, i guess CONMEBOL will look for a replacement now...maybe a central american & caribbean country like Honduras or Trindad & Tobago?