Copa America: Argentina 2011

How about starting a thread for Copa America 2011 from now?

argentina.gif

I think there are some things good to start talking about even when there's a year left, like the stadiums, the invitation of Mexico and Japan, what the teams will have or probably won't have for next year, etc...

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About stadium renovations, apparently the Bicentenario Stadium will be the only new stadium for this cup

estadio-del-bicentenario-san-juan.jpg

While La Plata Stadium is getting a roof

ciudad-de-la-plata-techado3.jpg

At least that's what I know for now, but I guess some stadiums may need some renovations to complete FIFA requirements (as I know, some of them don't have individual seats)

I guess that means no lessons learned from Venezuela 2007 :unsure:

Traditionally, the Copa America didnt demanded that much in organization. However, Venezuela was an unique case because its the only country on South America (besides Guyana, i think) on which Football is not the most important sport, and it always lived under the shadow of Baseball. Thus, they never had good football stadia and most of them were on bad conditions. However that changed when it was Venezuela turn to host the cup, as they wanted to show to the rest of the continent that football could also attract large masses there (also because the national team had improved greatly back then), so they did a bigger effort than the other editions of the tournament (although they also suffered some organization problems), and built tons of new stadia. Countries like Chile, Argentina and Brazil dont worry that much because they already have a lot of good stadiums and football tradition.

Excepting the stadium where final match were played, I liked all Venezuelan stadiums.

Ok, they are not big as other in Brazil and Argentina, but it was very good.

By far, the best Copa America ever in terms of organization... Which, unfortunatelly, doesn't mean much.

Excepting the stadium where final match were played, I liked all Venezuelan stadiums.

Ok, they are not big as other in Brazil and Argentina, but it was very good.

By far, the best Copa America ever in terms of organization... Which, unfortunatelly, doesn't mean much.

In fact as I know that stadium in Maracaibo was the second smallest of the cup. In the other hand the largest stadium was in Maturin, and it wasn't even taken in count for third place match (which was btw the only match played in Caracas)

I didn't like the render of bicentenario stadium...

Or... maybe the want the stadium to look 200 years old. tongue.gif

Really, too simplistic and seems to be small.

La Plata one will get great as we can see.

I didn't like the render of bicentenario stadium...

Or... maybe the want the stadium to look 200 years old. tongue.gif

Really, too simplistic and seems to be small.

La Plata one will get great as we can see.

Well, it doesn't look too small in the render since of the two levels, according to Wikipedia it will be for 40.000 spectators, which I guess it's OK for a Copa América, but all the stadiums look more modern than Bicentenario :mellow: honestly I spected something more innovative like Venezuela and Chile did :wacko:

BTW, the pitch looks a little bigger than it should be, I guess this means it will also be used for rugby.

Well, it doesn't look too small in the render since of the two levels, according to Wikipedia it will be for 40.000 spectators, which I guess it's OK for a Copa América, but all the stadiums look more modern than Bicentenario mellow.gif honestly I spected something more innovative like Venezuela and Chile did wacko.gif

BTW, the pitch looks a little bigger than it should be, I guess this means it will also be used for rugby.

Mau, It's a little bit to explain what I mean in English, so I ask apologises to the other members, but I'll try my Spanish skills.

Quiero decir que no parece tan amplo. Las tribunas son casi verticales como en La Bombonera. Los dos niveles de tribunas son paralelos y eso hace parece que el estadio es pequeño aunque puede recibir 40 mil hinchas.

Adding to this, I agree that the stadium doesn't look modern. smile.gif

I'm surprised Argentina is doing almost nothing about Copa América... okey, they didn't have to invest a lot on stadia, but this is getting ridiculous. Just one new stadium and few changes in the other ones. They don't even have a logo! But... I'm not really surprised... after all, is Argentina... and even worst, is AFA and Grondona. ¬¬

At least, I have some news from Chile.

Marcelo Bielsa signed today as the Chilean coach until 2015 with the idea of winning the first Copa América for Chile and a good place in Brazil 2014. Also, he will be in charge of the U-20 team for a competitive team for Colombia 2011 and London 2012. But, Bielsa has the possibility to leave the team in November 2011 if the Federation don't reelect Harold Mayne-Nichols (currently, head of the evaluation commitee of the FIFA World Cup bidding process for 2018/22), which is something the teams close to President Piñera (owner of Colo-Colo, the largest team) is trying to do. Anyway, I do hope that Bielsa will stay in the team and that Harold will stay as President of the FFCh.

If Harold stays, I think the 2015 Copa América will be finally hosted by Chile (making the swap with Brazil). And I'm pretty confident that the FFCh will do a good job... today the Estadio Nacional will reopen after being refurbished, and there are plans of the new stadium of Universidad de Chile in Santiago. Antofagasta and Concepción will have new stadiums and probably Viña del Mar if Copa América 2015 is awarded to the country. I'm really excited about it... I hope CONMEBOL make it official soon...

There was speculation that the Monumental Stadium in Buenos Aires was not going to be used for the tournament and the La Plata Stadium was going to host the final of the 2011 Copa America. But for some obvious reason, they relented and the Monumental will be used in the tournament.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I agree about Grondona, I still haven't seen any marketing from Copa America one year remaining, and I still can't understand why they invited Japan, I know they were in 99 and CONCACAF Gold Cup did the same before, but they said before that 1st and 2nd place from Gold Cup would be invited to the cup, and only Mexico and the first place have gone, in fact I sincerely think Panama should had been invited to Venezuela 2007 since they were runner-ups in Gold Cup 2005, but instead they invited Mexico and USA.

Well, I agree about Grondona, I still haven't seen any marketing from Copa America one year remaining, and I still can't understand why they invited Japan, I know they were in 99 and CONCACAF Gold Cup did the same before, but they said before that 1st and 2nd place from Gold Cup would be invited to the cup, and only Mexico and the first place have gone, in fact I sincerely think Panama should had been invited to Venezuela 2007 since they were runner-ups in Gold Cup 2005, but instead they invited Mexico and USA.

I think a pan-continental Football tournament would be more interesting. And somehow, getting more attention from the int'l media. And giving to some good american company the marketing thing. No one in the world does it better than Americans.

It would be a dream!

I agree with Danny. I would like that both CONCACAF and CONMEBOL make an agreement to co-host the tournament, so the cup will really have the right of being called Copa America. With almost only South America participating, it feels more like a south american cup.

I agree with Danny. I would like that both CONCACAF and CONMEBOL make an agreement to co-host the tournament, so the cup will really have the right of being called Copa America. With almost only South America participating, it feels more like a south american cup.

The geographic naming thing was never the strongest thing in Soccer/Football...

It wouldn't be different in Conmebol (indeed, an abbreviation that in actual days stands for Confederacion Sudamericana de Futbol)...

I think a pan-continental Football tournament would be more interesting. And somehow, getting more attention from the int'l media. And giving to some good american company the marketing thing. No one in the world does it better than Americans.

It would be a dream!

I've thought about the same thing as well. A joint CONCACAF-CONMEBOL Tournament would be great for the U.S. in that it would give Americans another tournament to look forward to aside from the just the World Cup. Who knows? Perhaps it could eventually rival the European Championships. To get it all started I would award hosting rights for the first two editions of the tournament to Brazil and the U.S. and then have countries bid for hosting rights afterwards.

I'm against a continental Cup while there are still two different confederations. I've always said that CONCACAF and CONMEBOL should merge, but if that doesn't happen, I don't like the idea of a common Copa América. This is the Conmebol cup so I think that only our countries should be participants, champions and hosts... CONCACAF members have still the Gold Cup for themselves. Why should we give our rights to Mexico and the US while they keep their own?

I'm against a continental Cup while there are still two different confederations. I've always said that CONCACAF and CONMEBOL should merge, but if that doesn't happen, I don't like the idea of a common Copa América. This is the Conmebol cup so I think that only our countries should be participants, champions and hosts... CONCACAF members have still the Gold Cup for themselves. Why should we give our rights to Mexico and the US while they keep their own?

If a continental cup could happen, the gold cup should end forever.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay to be Copa America seeds

Tue, 19 Oct 00:42:00 2010

Hosts Argentina, holders Brazil and Uruguay will be the seeds for next month's draw for the 2011 Copa America, the South American Football Confederation (CSF) said on Monday.

Chile, although not seeded to head one of the three groups, have been guaranteed they will play in the Andean region of Cuyo, just across their border with Argentina.

"The only team with definite cities is Chile, who will go to the Cuyo region," CSF general secretary Eduardo Deluca told reporters at the body's headquarters outside Asuncion where it held an executive committee meeting.

The draw for the 12-nation tournament to be played in Argentina next July will be held on Nov. 11 in the Argentine city of La Plata, capital of Buenos Aires province.

Cuyo comprises the western provinces of Mendoza and San Juan. Other venues are Salta and Jujuy in the northwest and Santa Fe and Cordoba in the centre-north.

Each seeded team will play two matches in their venue stadiums and one in La Plata, which is 60 km from Buenos Aires. River Plate's Monumental, which doubles as the national stadium in the capital, will hold the July 24 final.

"The seeded team that ends up in the same group as Chile will have to play two matches in the area of San Juan and Mendoza and one match at the City of La Plata stadium since all the seeds are going to play one match there," Deluca said.

Argentina and Uruguay have won the Copa America, the South American championship, 14 times each. Brazil, who beat Argentina in the last two finals in 2004 and 2007, have won it eight times.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/18102010/2/soccer-argentina-brazil-uruguay-copa-america-seeds.html

It was obvious that Chile should be playing in Cuyo (Chilean territory until ca. 1790)... but on the other side, Brazil and Uruguay could be sent to that place (really far away of their countries) instead of La Plata or Buenos Aires which are closer...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived