Sign in to follow this  
thespian333

Medal Predictions

I know in the Vancouver 2010 forum someone started a thread creating a sort of medal prediction based on the results of world championships prior to that Olympics. I was hoping that we could start the same for the London Games. I know that the Shooting World Championships will take place as the end of the month, and the World Cup would provide the most recent football championships. If anyone knows when some world championships are, please post them, so I can try to continue this thread. Thanks in advance.

I know in the Vancouver 2010 forum someone started a thread creating a sort of medal prediction based on the results of world championships prior to that Olympics. I was hoping that we could start the same for the London Games. I know that the Shooting World Championships will take place as the end of the month, and the World Cup would provide the most recent football championships. If anyone knows when some world championships are, please post them, so I can try to continue this thread. Thanks in advance.

The World Equestrian Games in Lexington, KY in October.

2010 FIBA Basketball World Championships:

- For men: August 28th - September 12th in Turkey

- For women: September 23rd - October 3rd in the Czech Republic

2010 FIVB Volleyball World Championships:

- For men: September 25th - October 10th in Italy

- For women: October 29th - November 14th in Japan

BTW, I doubt the 2010 FIFA World Cup results will be very reliable. I mean, Spain might win but I highly doubt the Spanish team will qualify for the Olympics, as they didn't take part neither at the 2004 nor the 2008 Olympics :unsure:

It's a bit early. Why don't you wait until next year, after the FINA World Aquatics Championships, the IAAF Athletics Championships, and the FIG Artistic Gymnastics Championships.

Within those three, you have Swimming, Diving, Water Polo, Synchronized Swimming, Athletics, and Artistic Gymnastics.

one thing is for certain:

- The United States will win the gold medal in Womens Basketball. That's pretty much a guarantee. They'll just roll through everyone, defeating them by at least 20 points en route to another gold medal.

Everything else is pretty much a crap shoot at this point.

I have set up a spread sheet tracking all the results at the World Champs for olympic sports from 2009-2012.

I will make predictions for the 2012 olympics about 6 weeks out from the games. This is the first time I have decided to do this, so it will be interesting.

Russia - 22 (w/o cheating)

So Spain will get two gold medals at the synchronized swimming events? ;) Good!

Micheal Warren - any chance you care to share that spreadsheet. I would love to work on something like that, but I don't have the time right now to set one up.

Yea I can send it through to you. PM me your email address and I will sendit through.

Cheers

Thanks Micheal. I PMed you my address. I appreciate the help.

I see you message but I have been away for a couple of weeks and havent had access to the spread sheet

Team GB medal target for London 2012 Olympics is fourth place with 48 medals across 12 sports

Team GB has been set a low target of achieving 48 medals at the London 2012 Olympic Games, just one more than the total achieved at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, by the government's funding body, UK Sport.

UK Sport set the target in return for its "no compromise funding policy" – arguing that money equals results. It has given a range of possible medal results from 40 to 70.

"At least 48 medals is a realistic target in at least 12 sports and top four on the medal table," UK Sport chief executive Liz Nicholl said.

"We aspire for them to be more than 48 medals in more than 12 sports," she said.

"We can't be more specific than that."

UK Sport has injected £312 million, mostly National Lottery money, to all Olympic sports over the past four years, specifically to deliver success at its home Games and to cement fourth place on the medal table.

The target set by UK Sport is much lower than those forecast by independent forecasts for the team based on world championship and international performances over the past 12 months and boosted by several medals expected to emerge from the home team advantage.

Earlier this year academics from the The Sport Industry Research Centre at Sheffield Hallam University forecast Team GB will win 27 gold medals and 56 medals in total.

The British Olympic Association, which is in charge of Team GB has been reluctant to set a medal table target, seeing no performance advantage in doing so.

BOA chief executive Andy Hunt said finishing fourth on the medal tally behind power brokers China, the US and Russia was an "aspiration".

Team GB collected 47 medals in 11 sports including 19 golds at the last Olympics in Beijing four years ago.

Sports expected to deliver the medals are:

Athletics (5-8), cycling (6-10), rowing (6), swimming (5-7), sailing (3-5), boxing (3-5) and equestrian (3-4).

But sports of basketball, handball, synchronised swimming, table tennis, volleyball, water polo weightlifting and wrestling have no expectations of any medal.

http://www.telegraph...-12-sports.html

Sign in to follow this