Mediterranean Games 2017

Meeting of the ICMG Evaluation Commission for the candidatures of the 2017 MG

Under the Presidency of M. Amar Addadi, the Evaluation Commission, composed of the General Souhail KHOURY, President, Mrs Nour El-Houda KARFOUL and Ms Dominique PETIT, members, Ms Sophie METAIS, assistant, held a meeting in Paris on 5 July 2010. M. Tullio PARATORE, also member of the commission, was not able to make the trip, held back due to an unexpected obligation.

The commission, after having ascertained that the 5 candidature files for the organisation of the 2017 MG:

• Alexandria (EGY),
  • Mersin (TUR),
  • Rijeka (CRO),
  • Tarragona (ESP),
  • Tripoli (LBA)

were all received within the set deadline, heard the recommendations of the ICMG President regarding the nature of their mission, as well as the principles and values that the ICMG must preserve for the forthcoming MG editions.

The commission fixed the calendar of visits that to be proposed to the candidate cities, which will spread out between the 3rd week of September 2010 and the 1st week of January 2011.

It is to be reminded that the report of the evaluation commission will have to be written and presented to the Executive Committee members in March 2011, before its distribution at the beginning of April to the ICMG General Assembly members, who will select the host city during the June 2011 session.

Any news on the dossiers? Are they public? Pics of the projects? Thanks.

This should be Alexandria's on by Albert Speer & Partner

1278502052.jpg

But first, what about the 2013 edition ? I heard that it was discussed the possibility to remove the organisation to Volos due to the Greece's crisis !!!

And that they would probably ask to Rijeka (Croatia) that finish second at the hosting election to host in replacement...

Any official news ?

But first, what about the 2013 edition ? I heard that it was discussed the possibility to remove the organisation to Volos due to the Greece's crisis !!!

And that they would probably ask to Rijeka (Croatia) that finish second at the hosting election to host in replacement...

Any official news ?

Nope. seems that the CIJM confirmed Volos/Larisa as the host. Although they got many problems cause of the crisis.

Moreover the Croatian government seems that will not give financial help to Rijeka candidature cause of the crisis.

Yes, Volos will be hosting the Games in 2013.

All my support goes for Tarragona, of course, although some people are using this bid to "show" the superiority of Catalonia over the rest of Spain and I don't like it at all :unsure:

This is the bid logo for Tarragona 2017, written in Catalan, Spanish, French, English and Arabic.

logo_es.jpg

However, there is no more interesting stuff, such as dossiers or their project (it's briefly explained), on their website (http://www.tarragona2017.org). The rest of the candidates don't even have an official website, or at least I haven't found them.

So far, these are the cities in my order of preference:

1. Tarragona (ESP)

2. Alexandria (EGY)

3. Rijeka (CRO)

4. Mersin (TUR)

5. Tripoli (LBA)

Tarragona es una buena candidatura, pero tiene poco que hacer ante Alejandría o Trípoli por motivos obvios (Almería 2005, Pescara 2009, Volos-Larisa 2013...) es turno de África.

Saludos desde Tarragona Cesco, veo que sigues consultando buenas fuentes :)

http://olimpismo2007.blogspot.com

claro...unas de las pocas que hablan de JJMM!!!! :)

que opinas de los de 2017? tienes alguna foto de proyectos? lo de Alexandria parece impresionante...!

El dossier de Tarragona se hará público en septiembre, pero no diferirá demasiado de lo que se ha ido filtrando y que puedes encontrar en mi blog: http://olimpismo2007.blogspot.com

De las demás candidaturas no hay mucha información, espero que pongan una web online en los próximos meses. Alejandría parece una apuesta fuerte.

Ya conoces mi opinión (aunque sea tarraconense): tras tres Juegos en Europa es turno de África. Alejandría o Trípoli. Supongo que pactarán la retirada de una para concentrar todo el voto árabe en la otra.

Si eso del pacto llega a pasar, posiblemente Alexandria sera la candidata mas fuerte por parte de Africa. No veo realmente a Tripoli albergando los juegos (y es muy probable que sean usados con fines propagandisticos).

Aunque en mi honesta opinion creo que Tarragona es la canditatura mas fuerte. Pero como dijo ñuto, tras tres juegos en Europa, Africa tiene mas posibilidades para el 2017.

recent mediterranean Games have been hosted in Europe too much. I think the 2017 edition should go to Africa. Either that, or the 2021 edition goes to Alexandria for the 60th Anniversary of the event. Last Mediterranean Games held in Africa were in 2001.

• 4 months later...

The CJIM are currently inspecting the bid cities for the mediterranean games. Alexandria bid got into trouble after they promoted themselves on the 2010 Youth Olympics in Singapore, and since then they're keeping a low profile.

Mersin and Rijeka havent even shown up that much, increasing the rumours that they would probably withdrew soon. The host city will be selected at April 2011, in Larissa.

Also, Tripoli 2017 bid has finally a logo and a website (although they havent put anything for the moment) http://www.tripoli2017.ly/

pre-logo.png

The bid is gaining full support from Italy, and their recent new politics of opening to the western world are kinda helping them. However they still have a very low human rights record (but hey, if Beijing did the games...)

Thanks to ñuto for this info (from his blog) !

• 1 month later...

Not related to 2017 but with the 2013 games. These are very worrying news...

Greece could lose 2013 Mediterranean Games, organisers says

http://in.reuters.com/article/idINIndia-53492920101210

(Reuters) - Greece could lose the 2013 Mediterranean Games if they fail to build two planned villages for athletes and officials, the International Committee for the Mediterranean Games (ICMG) said on Friday.

The cities of Volos and Larissa in central Greece have been awarded the event but organisers face financial problems after the government's decision to withdraw funding for the villages due to austerity measures put in place to deal with the country's economic crisis.

A reported 190 million euros ($251.6 million) is required for the construction project and Finance Minister Giorgos Papakonstantinou has told Greek organisers that they must find an alternative solution.

"The decision is subject to a meeting of the ICMG Executive Board but Greece is in the red zone, which does not exclude the possibility of moving the Games elsewhere," ICMG president Amar Addadi told Reuters.

After delays in the start of preparations for the Games, a new Greek organising committee (OCMG) was installed in March and they are set to give their latest progress update to the ICMG's Coordination Commission which will visit Athens on Sunday.

Addadi said the ICMG was "very sensitive" about Greece's difficult financial situation.

"What we cannot understand, however, is the lack of respect regarding some commitments within the bid file and the contract, and the lack of simple respect towards the ICMG and its representatives as an international sport institution," he said.

According to local media reports, the OCMG are now investigating alternative solutions, such as housing athletes and officials in university accommodation and luxury cruise liners at the port of Volos.

Addadi said he has not received any official alternative proposals for the two villages.

"We are not aware of any official position from the Greek side regarding this issue," he said. "We have asked many times for meetings to discuss it and we are still awaiting an answer.

"I don't know if the ICMG will accept or refuse such proposals, this is something which will be decided by the executive committee."

Pescara, the Italian venue for the 2009 Games, has been suggested as a possible alternative should the ICMG decide to move the event.

If you tought Commonwealth Games were doomed, you havent seen nothing yet.

If the idea of an European Games comes to life, say goodbye to the Medgames.

Not related to 2017 but with the 2013 games. These are very worrying news...

If you tought Commonwealth Games were doomed, you havent seen nothing yet.

If the idea of an European Games comes to life, say goodbye to the Medgames.

Interesting post Ikarus...care to give more details on the 2013 Med Games? For example why were Volos/Larissa selected and when? Also what kind of status does the Med Games have in your opinion?

Interesting post Ikarus...care to give more details on the 2013 Med Games? For example why were Volos/Larissa selected and when? Also what kind of status does the Med Games have in your opinion?

They got the games on late 2007 after they beat Rijeka (Croatia) and Mersin (Turkey). I dont know why they were choosen but i remember the decision was very criticized, specially by Rijeka who was the favorite option.

The Mediterranean Games has lost a lot of interest . I dont think much people on Italy actually knew they were hosting the Mediterranean Games, for example. IMO they need to make various changes like expanding to other countries, or something.

They got the games on late 2007 after they beat Rijeka (Croatia) and Mersin (Turkey). I dont know why they were choosen but i remember the decision was very criticized, specially by Rijeka who was the favorite option.

The Mediterranean Games has lost a lot of interest . I dont think much people on Italy actually knew they were hosting the Mediterranean Games, for example. IMO they need to make various changes like expanding to other countries, or something.

One thing is for certain (having read up on the MGs online) if the ICMG and constituent participating NOCs do not permit Israel to send a team then the MGs should die and die a quick death. Honestly how can any games that defines itself by Mediterranean coastlines being the geographic boundaries with an avowed aim to promote peace keep the Israelis out. Plus I see that the dead hand of that renowned anti-semite Avery Brundage has its influence on this situation too. So much for sport as a tool for bridging cultures and bringing understanding...

One thing is for certain (having read up on the MGs online) if the ICMG and constituent participating NOCs do not permit Israel to send a team then the MGs should die and die a quick death. Honestly how can any games that defines itself by Mediterranean coastlines being the geographic boundaries with an avowed aim to promote peace keep the Israelis out. Plus I see that the dead hand of that renowned anti-semite Avery Brundage has its influence on this situation too. So much for sport as a tool for bridging cultures and bringing understanding...

Well, the president of the ICMG is algerian, which makes him islamic, and the previous presidents were islamic as well. This happens as well with the Olympic Council of Asia and with the Asian Games (Israel has been banned from the Asiad since 1978)

Not letting Israel participate on the Medgames or in the Asian Games because it would hurt islamic countries feelings are one of the most retarded things to happen in sports today, and to this day I still ask myself why the IOC lets this happen. One of the main reasons Israel is not well developed at sports as other asian countries is because of this stupid rejection.

Well, now talking again about the 2017 bid, i find rather ironic that a spanish company (when Spain is also bidding for these games) is supporting Tripoli :lol:

MEDITERRANEAN-GAMES.jpg

A SPANISH COMPANY MAKES THE DRAFT OF 2017 TRIPOLI

http://olimpismo2007.blogspot.com/2010/12/una-empresa-espanola-realiza-el.html

Tarragona 2017 continues his quiet battle for the Mediterranean Games against Alexandria, Tripoli, Rijeka and Mersin.

Paradoxically (things of globalization), the company carrying out major projects in the Libyan candidacy is Spanish http://www.triarena.com/triarena-projects-for-the-candidature-of-tripoli-for- Triarena the-mediterranean-games

a young (April 2009), based in Madrid, created after the merger of several leading companies in engineering and construction and specializes in large projects.

Libya appears to be its largest customer and is developing there for several important projects related to the application 2017:

Stadium-renewal "June 11" in Tripoli

-water complex of "Sports Park" in Tripoli

Stadium-renewal "Great Man Made River Stadium" in the "Sports Park" in Tripoli

"sports hall in Benghazi

-new football stadium in Tripoli, Misurata and other cities

We will keep updating, hopefully in the coming months (before the final choice of venue) multiply the news.

http://www.triarena.com/triarena-projects-for-the-candidature-of-tripoli-for-the-mediterranean-games

June 11 Athletics Stadium (Athletics, ceremonies)

11TH-JUNE-X1b.jpg

A preview of some of the projects for Tripoli 2017 http://www.triarena.com/projects

Also a preview of what the Tripoli 2017 bid website will look like http://www.libyano.com/017/ but its very glitchy right now

• 4 months later...

So regarding the 2017 Mediterranean Games... we could assume that Tripoli is out of the Race !

What about Alexandria ? After the last events at the beginning of the year in Egypt, is the city still able to host ?

Not sure Rijeka is still bidding....

So the remaining city would be Tarragona ? I already shared my doubt about a Madrid 2020's bid in regards of the actual spain economic situation, but i think Med' Games are more suitable...

So an easy win for the Tarragona 2017 !

• 3 months later...

Archived