The Best Winter Olympic Opening Ceremonies

mr.x

OK, here we go again...

1. Salt Lake '02

2. Lillehammer '94

3. Albertville '92

Of course. the WOG Openings started to be impressive, thematic and professionally handled only with Sarajevo so there are only 8 so far (and Nagano's is a complete frizz/flake-out :wacko: )...so, in effect, really only 7 editions to choose from so far.

I only had three to choose from, my first Winter Olympics was Salt Lake (first Summer was Sydney).

Salt Lake's was near perfect...the music was also quite stunning.

Vancouver's was beautiful and quite cohesive with the entire ceremony being one big narrative like Salt Lake's, but I thought it lacked a certain grandiose feeling to it. Maybe we should have let Don Mischer direct the Vancouver Ceremonies. :lol: "WHERE THE **** IS THE FOURTH LEG? COME ON GUYS! THE FOURTH LEG? WHERE THE HELL IS IT? FOURTH LEG! FOURTH LEG! FOURTH LEG! IT NEEDS TO BE ERECT!"

Torino lacked any cohesion, tried way too hard. It also seemed a bit stale.

Lillehammer

Salt Lake

Torino

I watched Vancouver a couple says ago thinking I may like it more after watching it a second time. Unfortunately I came to the same conclusion as I did the first time, some brilliant parts but the overall ceremony was held down by a few very bad or boring moments.

^ I've come across quite a few shallow people that are into "the big booms and bangs"...surely, you can't be one of those individuals that couldn't see the beauty of many of the Vancouver segments.

^ I've come across quite a few shallow people that are into "the big booms and bangs"...surely, you can't be one of those individuals that couldn't see the beauty of many of the Vancouver segments.

Oh stop.

If people didn't like the ceremony, they didn't like the ceremony. No need to be so defensive.

Oh stop.

If people didn't like the ceremony, they didn't like the ceremony. No need to be so defensive.

The others can testify that I've been quite critical of Vancouver's Ceremonies, but it's true that there are people out there that can't sit in a chair and see something that is beautiful and call it boring because it lacked the big, bang, booms.

The others can testify that I've been quite critical of Vancouver's Ceremonies, but it's true that there are people out there that can't sit in a chair and see something that is beautiful and call it boring because it lacked the big, bang, booms.

And so what? It's their opinion. What makes you right?

1. lillehammer: with all the fairytales, snow and a great way to introduce the flame into the stadium: with a ski-jumper.

2. torino: italian class combined with passion

3. vancouver: great lights and music

Iv grown tired of you defending every aspect of the Vancouver games even when the answer of the question completely depends on peoples different tastes.

Sure some parts were beautiful, but others like the slam poet and the prairie sky segment brought the ceremony down.

Like really is there anything more un-Canadian then someone screaming to the word how wonderful Canada is? That's what that slam poet was doing and it really just seemed like a desperate attempt at being patriotic.

And so what? It's their opinion. What makes you right?

And I'm also allowed to make an opinion of other people's opinions. ;)

Iv grown tired of you defending every aspect of the Vancouver games even when the answer of the question completely depends on peoples different tastes.

Sure some parts were beautiful, but others like the slam poet and the prairie sky segment brought the ceremony down.

Like really is there anything more un-Canadian then someone screaming to the word how wonderful Canada is? That's what that slam poet was doing and it really just seemed like a desperate attempt at being patriotic.

I've grown tired of shallow people...it reminds me of those here in this forum several years ago who said the Athens Olympic Ceremony was "boring" because it took the theatrical route, which Vancouver also took.

I didn't like the slam poet either. The prairie segment was arguably one of the better parts of the ceremony, and absolutely showcased what the prairies were like.

Entertain you enough?

nuke.JPG

I wasn't even looking for fireworks, not even expecting any to be honest with the roof. What I wanted was a ceremony with a real heart and Vancouver just didn't do that. Usually all winter ceremony's are full of warmth and really just take you in to a story, no fireworks needed.

I just didn't see that with Vancouver, what I saw was a ceremony very reliant on projections, boring segments and embracing moments.

How does that make someone shallow?

If they find a ceremony boring, they found it boring. I, for one, found Vancouver's OC to be pretty forgettable. So don't automatically assume me to be "shallow" because I think so.

It seems like you whine EVERYTIME someone says negative about the Vancouver Games. I understand your passion, but it's become an annoyance.

Yep, it's all just taste. Personally, for example, i thought the slam poet was amongst the highlights of the ceremony. Sooooo simple yet heartfelt. But, hey, that's me. You'll never get unanimity on what's the best, between ceremonies and within individual ceremonies.

1. Lillehammer

Combined some old style Olympic OC production values with the best rendition of the Olympic hymn I've heard (Sissel's performance), a fantastic entrance of the torch (IMHO the best ever), a great venue and a passion for winter sports that almost no other nationality can provide.

2. Vancouver

Wonderful reflection of Canada's culture and heritage with some brilliant use of the latest CGI/stagecraft elements (highlight being the whales), let down mostly by the cauldron (both its configuration and lighting). Helped having an Aussie team give Vancouver a winterised indoor Sydney 2000 experience :lol:

3. Salt Lake

Most of the power of this ceremony came from the reflection on the 9/11 tragedy, and it was fantastic to see the 1980 Miracle on Ice team perform the cauldron lighting.

Yep, it's all just taste. Personally, for example, i thought the slam poet was amongst the highlights of the ceremony. Sooooo simple yet heartfelt. But, hey, that's me. You'll never get unanimity on what's the best, between ceremonies and within individual ceremonies.

...and I thought the slam poet was utter garbage, with that fiddle **** being the second piece of garbage. Also the Bryan Adams and whom ever the hell he sang with part, that was garbage too. Other than that, Vancouver had some very cool things about it as well.

1. Salt Lake City - hands down an amazing show.

2. Lillehammer - simple, moving and truly a great introduction to Norway.

3. Vancouver - while slightly subdued it was a very artistic and noble production. Needed more Fefe.

Honourable mentions -

Albertville - very artistic, very crazy at times - but also very hard edged. Not a warm show at all.

Torino - Pavarotti. Whether or not he was miming his performance of 'Nessun Dorma' was magnificent and is my only real memorable moment.

Nagano - a very austere opening - very formal - but utterly Japanese. I enjoyed it - one of the most stunning torch lightings. That kimono!

And the rest -

Calgary - kd lang and inflated dinosaurs. Funny and very, cery 80's. Almost the winter equivalent of the LA84 opening ceremony.

Sarajevo - also very formal. Those wacky Bosnians just dont know how to party.

Lake Placid - bit of a non-event.

Thats pretty much all the ones I've watched.

I expect Sochi will be ridiculously over the top and give Beijing a run for their money. RUSSIA! RUSSIA!! RUSSIA!!!

For me the most stunning moment of the Salt Lake Opening was the "Light the Fire" within, especially towards the end with the chorus when the boy found the light. One other segment I can clearly remember is the "She'll Be Coming Around The Mountain" segment, quite fond of that. A spectacular opening ceremony from start to finish.

As for Vancouver, I too have argued that it lacked heart...I think it largely comes from VANOC hiring a foreigner, David Atkins, to direct the Ceremonies. And this was Atkins' third major Ceremonies project, a lot of good ideas already used.

We had heart when Atkins directed Sydney, I don't know about Doha as I've never seen it in entirety. Perhaps a Canadian should've directed the Vancouver shows...Atkins had to learn about the basics of the country, while a Canadian director would already have a general feel and knowledge of what his/her country is all about. And the Ceremony director job wouldn't just be a job, as a Canadian that individual would have had a desire or even an obligation to push even further with the shows.

At the end of the day, Atkins was clearly chosen for his general Ceremony experience but also his expertise in digital projection as seen at Doha. Even during the bid process it was known that the Ceremonies at BC Place would be heavy on digital projection.

Furthermore, while Closing Ceremonies are usually an afterthought it seemed like it was far too much of an afterthought in Vancouver.

My main quibble with Vancouver's Opening is that...well, we've almost run out of ideas...so let's do the whole Canadian geography thing. And then throw in the 4 seasons for visual motifs? Sublime as the 'prairie' segment was; man, these are the Winter Games and they're NOT being played on the prairies.

The filmed countdown was magical. But the First Nations/Indian thing was done first and better at Salt Lake. It appears to have been a sneaky way to get those sexy, energetic performers into place so they could act as colorful field marshals for the Parade of Nations.

And what was the k.d.lang - Halleluah thing? Going spiritual on me?? :rolleyes: And when the Vancouver Finale part finally came...I dunno, that projected mountain thing seemed a little anti-climatic. (But I actually liked the poet; I related a little more to that...and I think it articulated for outsiders more of the Canadian spirit and character.)

A lot of good ideas but the canvas was just tooo wide and of course the cauldron faux pas made it look all cheesy.

That being said, can't wait for Singapore and Delhi's over-the-top shows!!

Final word to X: I think you were expecting too much. I'd put it (both Opening & Closing at 7.5 out of a 10. A lot of foreigners, including me, liked both shows for the most part. That should be satisfaction enough.

Archived