Paul, the squid, will "do" it again

Olympian, you're right, common octopus only live to 12 to 15 months. So Paul has already out-lived his expectancy.

Has Paul become a father yet? If so,perhaps one of the little Pauls will inherit his dad's psychic abilities and carry on the grand family tradition in time for Euro 2012 if Paul Senior is no longer around to do the honours?? ;)

He's got the punters' confidence now:

Punters take Paul's lead for World Cup

(AFP)

LONDON — Punters who had backed Holland to beat Spain in Sunday's World Cup final are switching sides after Paul the octopus oracle predicted a Spanish win, bookmakers said Friday.

"The 'Paul Effect' has turned the betting on its head with more punters backing Spain since the famous octopus gave his verdict," said a spokesman for Paddy Power bookies.

Paul has led the way with a perfect record of guessing six out of six winners from his aquarium home in western Germany, where he is given two boxes, each containing a mussel and the flag of the two competing World Cup teams.

In a ceremony shown live on German television Friday, the English-born cephalopod wasted no time in plumping for the Spanish box ahead of Sunday's match.

Before Paul's prediction, Paddy Power said it had seen 54 percent of the bets laid placed on the Dutch to win. But since then, 56 percent have gone on Spain.

"Whilst the shrewdies and big money punters are firmly backing Spain, Holland had been the more popular bet amongst the casual punters in terms of number of bets placed," said a spokesman.

"But since Paul?s prediction on a Spain win we?ve taken more bets on the Spanish for the first time since the final line-up was known."

Paul's effect is not as strong at rival bookmakers' William Hill, who said people are suspicious of placing hard cash on the musings of an octopus.

"We have not changed our prices. We've had a few quick rushes on Spain after Paul's prediction, but I think our betters make their own decision rather than following the octopus," a spokesman said.

Has Paul become a father yet? If so,perhaps one of the little Pauls will inherit his dad's psychic abilities and carry on the grand family tradition in time for Euro 2012 if Paul Senior is no longer around to do the honours?? ;)

If he had become a father yet, he would probably not be alive anymore. Octopuses die within a few months after having mated.

7 - 7!!

And if Paul is right today...8 FOR 8...from an 8-legged animal!! And RSA 2010 had those 8 other sites , like an octopus, emanating from Ground Zero in the Opening Ceremony!!

How freaky is all that?? :blink:

Paul is KING, el rey!! Ocho por Ocho por los ocho pies (8 for 8 by those 8 tentacles!)!!

I can just see all the research labs around the world all of a sudden switching all their experiments to cephalods and arachnids!!

• 3 months later...

World Cup 2010 - Paul the Octopus dies

Tue, 26 Oct 11:38:00 2010

Paul the octopus, the cephalopod who became a global sensation after successfully predicting matches at the World Cup, has died peacefully in his sleep aged two.

Stefan Porwoll, general manager of the Oberhausen Sea Life centre from where Paul made his predictions, confirmed the news.

"He died last night, a peaceful and natural death," Porwoll said.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/26102010/58/world-cup-2010-paul-octopus-dies.html

It's strange that an animal as intelligent as an octopus should have such a short life-span!

Well,Paul certainly made an unforgettable impression on football fans everywhere.His work was done but he will never be forgotten.

RIP Paul!!

pauloctopus07-1.jpg

(PS.Apparently one of his last predictions was that England would be selected to host 2018.I'm keeping my tentacles crossed he'll be right one last time! ;) )

.I'm keeping my tentacles crossed he'll be right one last time! ;) )

I sure hope its just your testi, err... tentacles that you keep crossed!! ;)

BTW, Paul had such impassioned supporters and detractors that his passing caused a fight in central Kentucky. Look at this video:

http://www.comcast.net/video/scuffle-targets-woman-at-rand-paul-rally/1625258487/Comcast/1625306603/

Archived