GM Place renamed Rogers Arena

Known temporarily as Canada Hockey Place during the Olympics, the home of the Vancouver Canucks is getting a name change:

GM Place renamed Rogers Arena

Last Updated: Tuesday, July 6, 2010 | 2:21 PM PT

The home of the Vancouver Canucks will be called Rogers Arena, the team has announced.

Canadian telecommunications and cable giant Rogers Communications Inc. finalized the 10-year deal to buy the naming rights to the former GM Place Tuesday, the Canucks said in a statement.

The ice rink on the edge of downtown Vancouver has been called GM Place since it opened in 1995. The team and the stadium are owned by the Aquilini Investment Group.

During the 2010 Winter Olympics, the facility was temporarily renamed Canada Hockey Place to comply with Olympic guidelines.

General Motors will still be an active sponsor but will confine its advertising to inside the stadium, the team said.

Article: CBC: GM Place renamed Rogers Arena

I'm not too keen on the idea of corporate sponsors having facilities like this named after them. It's happened here in Kelowna too with the home of the Kelowna Rockets, when Skyreach bailed and was renamed to Prospera Place. It takes awhile to get people to adjust to the new names. In Vancouver, all these years have gone by and it's great to know the Pacific Coliseum is still known as the Pacific Coliseum.

That's because Pacific Coliseum is old and is the city's secondary venue.

We'll get used to the new name. It isn't the first time a venue has changed names.

At least it wasn't renamed to Xwayxway Arena. :rolleyes:

I don't mind corporate names, of course it depends on the company (e.g. Hooters Arena).

With that said, I would have much preferred Telus Centre. Rogers already has naming rights over Toronto's former SkyDome, now called "Rogers Centre".

Expect a new corporate name for BC Place next year.

I don't mind corporate names, of course it depends on the company (e.g. Hooters Arena).

With that said, I would have much preferred Telus Centre. Rogers already has naming rights over Toronto's former SkyDome, now called "Rogers Centre".

Expect a new corporate name for BC Place next year.

But Hooters arena has a nice ring to it, and there'd be some great cheerleaders! :P

With regards to BC Place, I wouldn't be surprised one bit.

But Hooters arena has a nice ring to it, and there'd be some great cheerleaders! :P

With regards to BC Place, I wouldn't be surprised one bit.

Female cheerleaders...not my thing, loll.

I guess I have to get used to this name change, too. Why did Rogers took over General Motors?

It's official, BC Place Stadium will also be given a new corporate name next year:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Place+next+Vancouver+sports+palace+name/3247500/story.html#ixzz0t35yEgXp

Wasn't the original name of BC Place: "The Stadium at BC Place"? I'm pretty sure I read it in some marketing material at some point way back when.