Doha 2020

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Y would u call it "discrimination". :rolleyes:

U've already made your stance & posted your renders on the subject. Not everyone here agrees with it.

It's time to just leave it at that, instead of trying to force an issue that meets to your "liking", which then becomes tedious.

Y would u call it "discrimination". :rolleyes:

U've already made your stance & posted your renders on the subject. Not everyone here agrees with it.

It's time to just leave it at that, instead of trying to force an issue that meets to your "liking", which then becomes tedious.

So its Ok for Cape Town 2020 to reach 77 pages but its not ok for Doha to reach 8 pages ? :blink:

All cities propose venues, I don't see whats wrong with that ! where is the Olympics supposed to be hosted ? someones backyard ? off course at venues... I didn't "force" anyone to anything... I try to clarify.. I clarified the Israel and Women issues... and the heat issue to some extent, and your accusing me of doing so ? :blink:

well, I believe the first sliding roofed, A/C stadium is the Dallas Cowboys stadium. I wonder how that's doing with their A/C situation.

I don't know if the new Lucas Fieldhouse in Indianapolis also is.

Lucas Fieldhouse has a retractable roof.

So its Ok for Cape Town 2020 to reach 77 pages but its not ok for Doha to reach 8 pages ? :blink:

For starters, it took that Cape Town thread a long 4.5 years to reach 77 pages. You however, have brought this thing to 8 pages in less than a WEEK. Keeping at that rate, you'd bring this thread to a whopping 2000 pages in the same 4.5 year timeframe. Plus, not to mention the Cape Town thread has gone off-topic a number of times throughout those years.

And of course the Olympics are hosted at venues. No one said that they're not. But as it's also been pointed out to you by others on here, it takes much more than just venues to host an Olympics, & incessantly trying to push the same thing with the venues, isn't going to change that. Then also in particularly Doha's case, the city is just too small in many aspects.

It's one thing to be optimistic, but it's quite another to be overreaching.

The Doha venues/infrastructure are/is impressive and modern.

That's about the only good thing I could say about a Doha bid (although it's a strong positive). I mean, it doesn't have the cultural and symbolic features we've seen from Rio, London or even Beijing for that matter.

I think we've seen from the 2016 that the IOC is not just interested in infrastructure. Which is perhaps why cities from countries like the US, Canada, Australia and western Europe could struggle in future bid races without a strong selling point. Doha is also in this category. Cities like Cape Town & Rio are perhaps, not.

(This thread has grown really fast, I can't absorb the info that quick.)

It's the cultural aspects of the region that I find MORE fascinating than the fabulously extravagant architecture and development. So for me...they have both. But I don't know much about the area, which may be why I'm interested. It sounds like a stretch to fill and maintain relevance for appropriate sized venues, and then there's the heat issue, and there could be some tricky cultural issues to navigate. But eventualy I can see a fantastic Olympics somewhere in the region.

p.s. I love this tower proposal for Doha...the Oryx Tower

vomhafen500800zn7.jpg

For starters, it took that Cape Town thread a long 4.5 years to reach 77 pages. You however, have brought this thing to 8 pages in less than a WEEK. Keeping at that rate, you'd bring this thread to a whopping 2000 pages in the same 4.5 year timeframe. Plus, not to mention the Cape Town thread has gone off-topic a number of times throughout those years.

And of course the Olympics are hosted at venues. No one said that they're not. But as it's also been pointed out to you by others on here, it takes much more than just venues to host an Olympics, & incessantly trying to push the same thing with the venues, isn't going to change that. Then also in particularly Doha's case, the city is just too small in many aspects.

It's one thing to be optimistic, but it's quite another to be overreaching.

During the 2016 bid, 70% of the venues needed are already in place... and its not optimistic, its feasible !! ;) We were supposed to shot list in 2016, the city ranks almost at the level of Chicago.

(This thread has grown really fast, I can't absorb the info that quick.)

It's the cultural aspects of the region that I find MORE fascinating than the fabulously extravagant architecture and development. So for me...they have both. But I don't know much about the area, which may be why I'm interested. It sounds like a stretch to fill and maintain relevance for appropriate sized venues, and then there's the heat issue, and there could be some tricky cultural issues to navigate. But eventualy I can see a fantastic Olympics somewhere in the region.

p.s. I love this tower proposal for Doha...the Oryx Tower

That tower was just a proposal, never made it to reality, these supertalls below however are underconstruction.

Dubai Towers, Doha 439M

29258398898073471564438.jpg

Al-Quds Tower 500M

29258398898093471564438.jpg

Qatar National Bank HQ 510M

29258398898078471564438.jpg

Doha Tower & Convention Center 570M

29258398898063471564438.jpg

And these towers are approved.

Industries Qatar 466M

30476405048813471564438.jpg

Kamal Tower 408M

29258398898083471564438.jpg

Doha, Dubai, etc., will eventually all look like Disneyland on steroids!!

Doha learned from Dubai's mistakes, its not building empty towers and skylines everywhere, its not competing with itself to build the worlds highest tower(s) nor is it building excessively large super projects and artificial islands everywhere, Qatar is aiming in becoming a knowledge based economy.

During the 2016 bid, 70% of the venues needed are already in place... and its not optimistic, its feasible !! ;) We were supposed to shot list in 2016, the city ranks almost at the level of Chicago.

I agree with you in this. Doha should have been shortlisted. Then, if the IOC didn't want Doha to host, they wouldn't have voted for it.

But what about all those 500-metre-tall skyscrapers?? :blink: They're nice, especially the Al-Quts Tower, but I don't understand why all countries (not only Qatar) want to have gigantic buildings. Well, the tallest buildings in Spain are in the Cuatro Torres Business Area in Madrid. There will be buildings in Doha that will be more than twice their height!!! Why this widespread obsession for tall buildings?

I agree with you in this. Doha should have been shortlisted. Then, if the IOC didn't want Doha to host, they wouldn't have voted for it.

But what about all those 500-metre-tall skyscrapers?? :blink: They're nice, especially the Al-Quts Tower, but I don't understand why all countries (not only Qatar) want to have gigantic buildings. Well, the tallest buildings in Spain are in the Cuatro Torres Business Area in Madrid. There will be buildings in Doha that will be more than twice their height!!! Why this widespread obsession for tall buildings?

Money and the miracles it does :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

So some claim that Security is an issue for Doha's bid.

Any sources/proofs that support such claims ?

Doha was capable of hosting the 2006 Asian Games !!!

Although involving 45 Asian Nations only, it had 13000 participants !! and 39 sports.

13000 athletes, thats higher than Beijing 2008 Athlete numbers. :)

The torch relay, Ceremonies and sport events all went quite well.

175pxdoha2006.jpg

So how is security an issue when Doha had more athletes to take care of than the Beijing Olympics ?????

Is it the Israel issue ?? Another Munich will not be possible. Israeli athletes have their own security, and we have had Israeli's compete in Doha, I do not recall any death threats, mass protests, shootings etc, that type of stuff doesn't exist in Qatar.

So some claim that Security is an issue for Doha's bid.

Any sources/proofs that support such claims ?

Doha was capable of hosting the 2006 Asian Games !!!

Although involving 45 Asian Nations only, it had 13000 participants !! and 39 sports.

13000 athletes, thats higher than Beijing 2008 Athlete numbers. :)

The torch relay, Ceremonies and sport events all went quite well.

175pxdoha2006.jpg

So how is security an issue when Doha had more athletes to take care of than the Beijing Olympics ?????

Is it the Israel issue ?? Another Munich will not be possible. Israeli athletes have their own security, and we have had Israeli's compete in Doha, I do not recall any death threats, mass protests, shootings etc, that type of stuff doesn't exist in Qatar.

The Asians are NOT the Olympics. You are in a hotbed of extremism and fanaticism. On the surface, it may not seem so...but what about the thousands of foreign workers from Pakistan, Syria, Yeman, etc.?? Would not the presence of western women in shorts, or God forbid, in skimpy bikinis for Beach Volleyball and Swimming, maybe cause them to snap and run amuk? How can you weed that (or 2 dozen other explosive scenarios) out of the muslim mindset?

Why should the IOC risk it when there are OTHER safer (less controversial) places where people don't have to always check themselves for "fear of offending" the hyper-sensitive hosts (who take offense at every notion or thought that does not conform to their mindset) to stage the Games?

Don't the Arabs realize the increase in insurance premiums by a couple of hundred million dollars the IOC and its broadcasters will have to take--if they can even get any sort of insurance--to safeguard staging an Olympic Games in a middle Eastern setting?

The Asians are NOT the Olympics. You are in a hotbed of extremism and fanaticism. On the surface, it may not seem so...but what about the thousands of foreign workers from Pakistan, Syria, Yeman, etc.?? Would not the presence of western women in shorts, or God forbid, in skimpy bikinis for Beach Volleyball and Swimming, maybe cause them to snap and run amuk? How can you weed that (or 2 dozen other explosive scenarios) out of the muslim mindset?

Why should the IOC risk it when there are OTHER safer (less controversial) places where people don't have to always check themselves for "fear of offending" the hyper-sensitive hosts (who take offense at every notion or thought that does not conform to their mindset) to stage the Games?

Don't the Arabs realize the increase in insurance premiums by a couple of hundred million dollars the IOC and its broadcasters will have to take--if they can even get any sort of insurance--to safeguard staging an Olympic Games in a middle Eastern setting?

Thats it? the women events ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly, i expected something serious !!

We had Women beach volleyball during the Asian games, we had women aquatic events, we had women participate during the IAAF world athletics. I really do not see the issue, this has become a normal scene when it comes to sports, this is why we need the Olympics and the world cup. to change the image of the middle east and the Muslim/Arab world "image" in the eyes of the world. Qatar isn't Saudi Arabia or Iran.

I do see Doha or Dubai hosting the games. Maybe Doha can win it for 2020 (I think it's very unlike, the next frontier to be open seems to be Africa and later Middle East).

Geopolitcally now it seems it's not time yet. But geopolitics changes quickly...

IMHO before Middle East hosting Africa will have its first games and Europe and North America will host games again before them.

But it's valid to Doha or other ME city to bid and make its wish and project more and more famous.

Rio is a proof of patience and learning with mistakes. And too about timing. 2016 was just perfect to Rio.

Doha should take all of this in count, but we can not be angry that we have a qataree marketing his country. He is doing great for a future victory, maybe in a far future, maybe in a near future... We never know.

Let him show his renders.

I'm not interested to be sincere, but maybe someone are liking to see the modern and megalomaniac project from the arabs. smile.gif

Well, if you consider 120 years as quick, then...OK...

By 15 years ago, how important was Brazil or India to the world?

Maybe the olympic geopolitics changes slower... This can be really truth, but I think things are changing faster and faster...

• 4 months later...
Railway project to be completed in 10 years

DOHA: Work on the proposed railway project in Qatar will be completed in 10 years, earlier than the original schedule, as part of preparations for the FIFA World Cup 2022, a senior official of Qatari Diar has said.

Qatari Diar is responsible for executing the railway project along with many other major projects planned as part of the Qatar Master Plan.

The existing Doha International Airport will be demolished, once the new international airport becomes operational next year, to give way to a new urban project in its location, according to Abdul Latheef Mohammed Al Nuaimi, head of administrative affairs at Qatari Diar. Work on the new city will begin in 2012.

He said the proposed metro railway will link Lusail city with other parts of the city.

The $42.9bn railway project includes a metro network within Greater Doha, an inter-GCC rail link and a rail freight network.

The official hinted that the cost of the project could go up with work getting intensified.

The high-speed railway includes the Doha Metro Network; an east coast rail link; a high-speed link between the new Doha International Airport, Doha city centre and Bahrain via the planned Qatar-Bahrain Friendship Bridge; a freight rail link based on the GCC rail link studies; and light rail systems within specific developments, including Qatari Diar’s Lusail mega-project.

It will combine modern amenities and facilities with innovative design elements.

The official said work on several major projects in Al Khor and Al Wakra would start soon.

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/qatar/136702-railway-project-to-be-completed-in-10-years.html

So the original plan was to get it done by 2026, Now its going to be done by 2020 :D Just in time for a potential Summer Olympic Games in Doha.

• 1 month later...

Qatar to host 2015 world championship

qat2015.jpg

MALMO ( Sweden): The International Handball Federation on Thursday awarded the 2015 men's world championship to the Gulf emirate of Qatar, beating out competition from France, Norway and Poland.

The women's world championship in the same year went to Denmark, which was the only remaining candidate following the withdrawal of South Korea.

The handball decision follows FIFA's vote to host the 2022 football World Cup to Qatar and the emirate is currently staging the Asian Cup football competition with Saturday's final opposing Australia and Japan.

Source

:D Great news !!!

A state-of-the-art handball stadium seating up to 15,000 fans will be one of the main features of a multi-sport complex being created in Qatar as the country bids to host the 2015 men's World Championships.

The stadium, part of the Al Ahli Sports Village in Doha, promises to offer the most advanced handball facilities ever, with the latest technologies and media facilities.

Qatar_2015_large_stadium.jpg

One more reason why Doha deserves to host the Summer Olympics more than Dubai.

Some of the many events hosted in Doha/Qatar.

2006 OCA Asian Games

2010 IAAF Indoor Championship

2011 AFC Asian Cup

2011 Pan Arab Games

2015 IHF World Championship

2017 IAAF Championship (Bidding)

2021 FIFA Confederations Cup

2022 FIFA World Cup

Even the FIFA Club World Cup in UAE was hosted in Abudhabi alone, not Dubai. Dubai's largest stadium is 18,000 and the largest "planned" stadium (which has been planned for years with no action) is 60,000... below IOC standards. Even the FINA World Championship 2013 had Dubai back out from it, Pathetic...

^^^I knew it was going to be Qatar. But don't worry: this time the country won't be insulted (so much).

BTW, the previous host will be Spain in 2013 and the matches are going to be held in the country's most important cities, hopefully with crowded arenas. There is real passion for this sport here, so Qatar will have to fight hard to host a better championship!

Highlights for Qatar 2015: the winner will automatically qualify for Rio 2016 and the Olympic Qualifying Tournaments quotas will be determined there ;)

^^^I knew it was going to be Qatar. But don't worry: this time the country won't be insulted (so much).

BTW, the previous host will be Spain in 2013 and the matches are going to be held in the country's most important cities, hopefully with crowded arenas. There is real passion for this sport here, so Qatar will have to fight hard to host a better championship!

Highlights for Qatar 2015: the winner will automatically qualify for Rio 2016 and the Olympic Qualifying Tournaments quotas will be determined there ;)

I know handball is a big deal in Europe (similar to Football to some extent) however I watched the game of Hungary vs Spain (Sweden 2011) today on Al-Jazeera Sport (not sure if it was live or recorded) the crowds were awful! I expected much higher attendance figures.

And yes I think we were criticized for a bit (The French weren't really happy).

Archived