Doha 2020

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How could the heat issue be resolved?

Well it might not be fully resolved, but there are some choices to make, such as indoor events, open-air air-conditioned events and night events :unsure: and if the Qatar 2022 bid could propose solar-powered cooling for their stadiums, I think the same could be used for the football events, ceremonies and other events which have stadium-like spectator structures. Shade could be added to shelter from the sun. other than sport related activities, every building in Qatar has air-conditioning, that means shopping malls, hotels, museums etc.

---

Security is not an issue, Another Munich massacre is not possible since Israeli athletes now have body guards and security every where they go. That is according to an Israeli i met on the internet, Israeli's has been allowed to take part in sport events in the past here in Doha, I believe I posted pictures and sources in the past pages. Qatar is one of the safest places to be actually and the safest in the middle east, sure public opinion matters but its the IOC inspectors and such that will come to Doha themselves and see what we have to offer and how safe it is. :rolleyes:, the same as the world cup bid, drugs, prostitution and other highly illegal activities will not be tolerated at all, if caught, they will be jailed for obvious reasons... alcohol however will be allowed to some extent according to Qatar 2022 bid officials...

A WC is somewhat feasible; an OG is not. The HEAT & security issues are TOO large to be ignored or swept under the "flying carpet." ;)

I'd say the opposite. The Asian Games at least showed Doha is capable of a large multi-sport event; even if the Olympics are several levels up from it. By 2020 they'll be a city not far off the size of Athens in terms of population and will, of course, still have money to throw around. It'd be an enormous challenge but it would be doable, at a push.

Their world cup bid, by contrast, is akin to having the whole of the 2010 world cup in Cape Town. Doha, a city with a sixth of London's population, in a country whose league averages far less than 10,000 spectators per match, is proposing to have between two and four times as many stadiums as London in its nation's bid. It's a nonsense. A joint regional bid would have been more effective and realistic.

I'd say the opposite. The Asian Games at least showed Doha is capable of a large multi-sport event; even if the Olympics are several levels up from it. By 2020 they'll be a city not far off the size of Athens in terms of population and will, of course, still have money to throw around. It'd be an enormous challenge but it would be doable, at a push.

Their world cup bid, by contrast, is akin to having the whole of the 2010 world cup in Cape Town. Doha, a city with a sixth of London's population, in a country whose league averages far less than 10,000 spectators per match, is proposing to have between two and four times as many stadiums as London in its nation's bid. It's a nonsense. A joint regional bid would have been more effective and realistic.

An Olympics would certainly be easier since its limited to one city... however the WC bid is proposeing for the city, its outskirts, its suburbs its satellite cities and other towns around the country... :)

What will be the rule of alcohol?

I am not sure if your talking about Qatar 2022 or Doha 2020, but either way, according to the 2022 bid, Alcoholic drinks will be available in hotels and in certain fan-zones dedicated to the foreigners. ;)

By the way, i forgot to mention that by 2020-22 The GCC would have already got a unified currency, a unified tourist visa and of course the GCC rail link. Now what I hope for is that by that time, we will have open borders (Hopefully...) :unsure: everything will be made much easier !

When I say a WC bid is more feasible...it would certainly have to be a regional bid. With a WC, you/the host really have to bother only with the sensitivities of 32 nations and the nuances and needs of ONE sport -- and a predominantly MALE sport at that. So all those eggshells don't have to be thrown into the picture.

The Asians are different. They are a regional meet and really has one of the wonkiest slate of sports and semi-sports thrown in.

With an Olympics, you have to deal with the sensitivities of over 200 nations, 25 or so federations, a ton of sponsors, the demands of billion-dollar global TV contracts, etc., etc. And what about the sports? What team sports can a small country like Qatar really field realistitcally...other than buying some elite athletes from other countries as they have done. But with such a small population base, once the Qatari home-teams are decimated in the first round, who will the home crowds honestly come and cheer for? :blink:

Just for sheer numbers alone:

- per QatarSon's figures, he shows a population of some 3 mil by 2020 (a highly optimistic figure I suspect). But on the busiest days of an Olympic Games, probably 230,000 seats have to be filled. Where will those come from? If Greece with an 11 million pop base, could NOT fill their stadia, and now 6 years later show that their 2004 hosting was indeed an over-stretch financially, what more a society of a mere 3 mil (and even if you throw in 250,000 visitors who will NOT be going to every event either)? The smallest population base that can support a sustainable Olympics I would say, would be at least 25 million as Australia was in 2000. At least Prague/Czech Republic and New Zealand have been honest enough in the last few years to own up that an Olympics is an over-reach for them. Just because one has a lot of reserves in the bank (which could also vanish overnight) doesn't mean one is really in a position to be a credible Olympic host.

If some 5.5 million Olympic tickets are put for sale, and the population base is, just conservatively 2.5 million, who will buy the other 3.75 million tix? (Not everybody of the native 2.5 million people will buy tickets.) Take away 500,000 for foreign orders, and you will have some over 3 MILLION UNSOLD tickets alone before the Games even begin!!

As Rogge said very credibly, you need a city base of at least 2.5 million to stage an Olympic Games of the size it is in 2010. That's just for staging the Games: the volunteers, the performers, the workers, the temp workers for those positions displaced by the Games, etc. That does NOT even include another 20 million outside the capital who will need to buy the tickets (see above) and the mascots and the merchandise, etc., etc., and RUN a decent Torch Relay, for a memorable Games.

Doha/Qatar just doesn't yet have the numbers now...or in the 20s to support the staging of an Olympic Games. Maybe some patience is required from some small nations. Even for the big nations, it takes a few generations to mature into a credible Olympic/WC host.

by the way, the swimming events wouldn't be effected by the heat, the athlete's are in water...

Actually, yes the heat would still affect the swimming events. You would need an indoor cooled venue or a covered one at least with open air cooling. You'd also have to keep the water temperature stable between 77-82 degrees min/max.

Actually, yes the heat would still affect the swimming events. You would need an indoor cooled venue or a covered one at least with open air cooling. You'd also have to keep the water temperature stable between 77-82 degrees min/max.

This is true. Many of the swimmers were upset that Athens abandoned their plans to put a roof over the pool and Athens' heat is nothing compared to Doha.

It's primarily the glare of the sun if the events are held midday or while the sun is overhead. Sometimes the swimmers get disoriented when they turn and have to face up to the sun; and in the backstrokes. Plus, unroofed, midday pool water causes a lot of the glinting reflections for the TV cameras and, I believe, they have yet to develop programs that will let the cameras make those outdoor broadcasts and have their special effects graphics (like the flags on the various lanes, etc., etc.) work cleanly. The broadcasters are able to use their SFX progs more easily in the controlled confiness of covered Aquatic Centres in Seoul, Atlanta, Sydney, Beijing.

Oh i thought you guys were talking about the sea event (does even such thing exist ? <_< ) we have Hamad Aquatics Center, i posted pictures in one of the previous pages, it was used for the Asian Games and was part of the venue plan during the 2016 bid. there is another aquatics venue that is supposed to be built near algarafa stadium, also part of the 2016 plan, all of these are closed and air conditioned.

According to the 2016 Bid file, the Hockey events were to be played in Al-Sadd Stadium (12,000 spectators), this might or might not change for the 2020 bid, but Al-Sadd is a great stadium, its modern, it has a roof and more importantly it has air conditioning !!! :lol:

So how are the players on the field cooled during play?

So how are the players on the field cooled during play?

Not just the players, but the spectators, media etc too.

46232olympicimage1.jpg

Stand fringe portholes breathe cooling air into the Al Sadd stadium (inset)

46232olympicimage2.jpg

Take a careful look at the picture here. Look at the pitch surround, to the right of the goal at the front of the stand in the Al Sadd Stadium in Doha, Qatar. Those small black portholes are not mere decoration. They serve a purpose – and a potentially revolutionary one at that.

One of the innovations with which Qatar expects to amaze FIFA during the 2022 World Cup bidding process is a system which cools the air temperature for players and fans.

Al Sadd was an appropriate club to invest in the initial system. This is the so-called “Real Madrid of the Gulf,” the richest club in Qatar and most successful with more than 300 cups glistening, glinting and gleaming in the trophy room.

More significant in the wider scheme of the game, however, is the air-cooling system. A power plant 100 yards from the stadium drives the 6,000 tonnes of refrigeration from chilled water through a pipeline network to the stadium and out through the 150 vents which fringe the pitch and are replicated beneath every seat around the ground.

The temperature outside may be 35 or 40 degrees but within the stadium it can be held down at between 18 and 21 degrees – low enough to keep any gloved Nordic midfielder happy.

Source

temporary seats were installed at Hamad for the Asian Games. How many? How many were permanent? Seating Plan?

Any news regarding a new aquatic centre for the Olympic bid?

Well if we will refer to the 2016 Olympic bid, the bid proposed using Hamad Aquatic center as a venue and the bid also proposed a new venue that will be part of Al-Gharafa sports club facilities (also had temporary sections involved)

Hamad Aquatic Center(Existing venue)

Gross seating capacity: 4000.

Sport and discipline: Aquatics/Water Polo.

634012947173442893hacpo.png

634012959554622893hacpo.jpg

hamadaquatic.jpg

Al-Gharrafa Aquatics Center(Planned venue)

Gross seating capacity: 4000 permanent (8000 temporary for the games).

Sport and discipline: Aquatics (Diving, Swimming, synchronised swimming).

gharafaaquatics.jpg

First it was the Qatar School Olympic Program, now the "best school contest". This really helps grab attention form the youth into sports, I expect more attendance in the future.

Qatar Stars League Management launches best school contest

1103075114.jpg

DOHA, 05 July 2010- Qatar Stars League Management launched “Best School Contest” to encourage students of Qatari schools to attend the matches of Football League for the sports season 2010-2011.

Mr. Nasser Yaqoub stressed that the contest comes in light of cooperation with Supreme Council of Education to attract fans to Qatari Football League.

The coordinator of the contest reaffirmed that the Marketing Committee of Qatar Stars League Management aims to scatter the culture of sport in the Qatari community.

On all these A/C stadia Doha is proposing, two words: Pauley Pavilion, LA'84 and Palau Sant-Jordi, Barcelona '92.

I needn't say more.

I am not sure if you noticed but all of the ones proposed are OUTDOOR :blink:, Its outdoor air-conditioning.... tests will be run in September and FIFA inspectors will be there to check for themselves. So its not just words..

this is the testing facility, off course the current proposal is for the 2022 WC stadiums, however the same technology could be used for the 2020 bid as well.

900xo.jpg

900xc.jpg

well, I believe the first sliding roofed, A/C stadium is the Dallas Cowboys stadium. I wonder how that's doing with their A/C situation.

I don't know if the new Lucas Fieldhouse in Indianapolis also is.

Do I really have to explain again ??? These football stadiums don't have "sliding roofs" the roofs cover the spectators but the field is exposed, its "outdoor air-conditioning". And they are going to use eco-friendly (carbon neutral) techniques such as solar-power. look at these two stadiums that will be built regardless of the FIFA decision on 2nd of December 2010.

Al-Wakrah Stadium

alwakra1full.jpg

Al-Khor Stadium

alkhor1full.jpg

Al-Sadd Stadium (Existing, not part of 2022 bid)

iaspxiqatar2fstadium2fa.jpg

Do I really have to explain again ??? These football stadiums don't have "sliding roofs" the roofs cover the spectators but the field is exposed, its "outdoor air-conditioning". And they are going to use eco-friendly (carbon neutral) techniques such as solar-power. look at these two stadiums that will be built regardless of the FIFA decision on 2nd of December 2010.

Did I say that you HAD TO EXPLAIN again? NO!!

I just added that A/C partially-open football stadia aren't new. They're already in existence. Split hairs if you want...an opening in the roof's an opening in the roof no matter how you slice it.

doha, dubai, abu dabi nice cities, may be so utopic ones made by money and human... but

there is a but........

if we check the cities from the past 30 years all choosen ones are special ones... atlanta (center of world communication and ofcourse of of the sponsors) barcelona ( gaudi..... nothing to say more) sydney ( worlds best city at that time an lkargest in australian continent ) athens ( home) beijing ( china factor) london ( london:)) rio ( 1of the fastest growing economy and best choice in s..america ).....

i cant group gulf cities with these ones in the same level....

for me with all my apologizes just money is not the only key to host the olympics. the choosen city must be historical geographical and world standing important city a living one not just a bussiness center ...

just for these elements capetown istanbul NYC are my all time favorites

Did I say that you HAD TO EXPLAIN again? NO!!

I just added that A/C partially-open football stadia aren't new. They're already in existence. Split hairs if you want...an opening in the roof's an opening in the roof no matter how you slice it.

exactly, see these stadiums technically aren't "partially open" they are always open. And who said that they don't exist ? remember AlSadd stadium in Doha as a an example. :rolleyes:

Archived