Doha 2020

This reminds me with the old video that the 2006 Doha Asian Games Committee has made after the games ended.

Hopefully the Olympic flame will come to Doha soon, like the Asian Olympic flame in 2006.

couldron.jpg

119621541829832bf1c0.jpg

By the way, constant bidding for the Olympics is good, the city will eventually get it if its ranked high on the IOC score.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Olympic rings have been ready in front of Khalifa International Stadium since 2006, maybe a sign for a future Olympics.

ringsofhope.jpg

I think tourists during the Olympics would have enough places to visit in Doha and Qatar in general, lets talk about that for a bit.

You have history dotted all around the place.

barzan.jpg

fanarsouqwaqif.jpg

At the same time you would have the Museums of the country which help preserve an "identity". for example, you could learn more about Islam by simply visiting the Islamic Art Museum... 2 more museums are planned an "Arab Modern Art Museum" and the redevelopment of "Qatar National Museum".

Museum of Islamic Art

museumislamicart.jpg

Museum of Modern Arab Art(approved)

museum-modern-arab-art1.jpg

Qatar National Museum (Under construction)

1agzb.jpg

Good to see more Qatar'i women involvement in sports, although we already had some in 2006 Asian Games but we need extra efforts.

186951114.jpg

Qatar included in 2012 Olympics qualifiers

Qatar included in 2012 Olympics qualifiers... Kuala Lumpur, 05 June 2010- FIFA has accepted the entries of Qatar and Jordan into the qualifying rounds of the 2012 London Olympics football tournaments. In letters to both Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Member Associations, FIFA said it had confirmed the entries of the Qatar and Jordan football associations into the men’s and women’s qualifiers. Qatar had earlier entered in the men’s competition only while Jordan had missed the deadline of submission of entries. Three spots in the men’s competition and two berths in the women’s competition will be up for grabs by Asian qualifiers in the Olympic tournaments. Detailed information including the competition format on the qualifiers will be provided to all participating Member Associations in due time.

Qatar to host first GCC women basketball championship

Kuwait, 05 June 2010- The Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) women sports committee has approved holding the Gulf women basketball and volleyball champion on annual basis in line with the men events.

The eighth meeting of the committee which gathered on Friday representatives of four out of the five members of the committee agreed that the State of Kuwait will host the first Gulf women volleyball champion league in October while the basketball event will be held in Qatar in 2011. “The meeting also approved holding the table tennis championship in Al-Sharjah, United Arab Emirates in 2011” chairperson of the committee Sheikha Na'ima Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah reported. "The conferees agreed to hold the second Gulf women games, originally slated to take place in the UAE earlier this year, in Abu-Dhabi next March while Kingdom of Bahrain will play host to third Gulf women games in 2013," Sheikha Na'ima revealed.

http://qwsc.org.qa/english/

Good to see more Qatar'i women involvement in sports, although we already had some in 2006 Asian Games but we need extra efforts.

186951114.jpg

Qatar included in 2012 Olympics qualifiers

Qatar included in 2012 Olympics qualifiers... Kuala Lumpur, 05 June 2010- FIFA has accepted the entries of Qatar and Jordan into the qualifying rounds of the 2012 London Olympics football tournaments. In letters to both Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Member Associations, FIFA said it had confirmed the entries of the Qatar and Jordan football associations into the men’s and women’s qualifiers. Qatar had earlier entered in the men’s competition only while Jordan had missed the deadline of submission of entries. Three spots in the men’s competition and two berths in the women’s competition will be up for grabs by Asian qualifiers in the Olympic tournaments. Detailed information including the competition format on the qualifiers will be provided to all participating Member Associations in due time.

Qatar to host first GCC women basketball championship

Kuwait, 05 June 2010- The Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) women sports committee has approved holding the Gulf women basketball and volleyball champion on annual basis in line with the men events.

The eighth meeting of the committee which gathered on Friday representatives of four out of the five members of the committee agreed that the State of Kuwait will host the first Gulf women volleyball champion league in October while the basketball event will be held in Qatar in 2011. “The meeting also approved holding the table tennis championship in Al-Sharjah, United Arab Emirates in 2011” chairperson of the committee Sheikha Na'ima Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah reported. "The conferees agreed to hold the second Gulf women games, originally slated to take place in the UAE earlier this year, in Abu-Dhabi next March while Kingdom of Bahrain will play host to third Gulf women games in 2013," Sheikha Na'ima revealed.

http://qwsc.org.qa/english/

/\ That's good; very encouraging. Now Doha/Qatar should maybe do even ONE step more that will endear them even more to the IOC, invite Israeli teams as special guests.

BTW, I like the ziggurat and the envisioned Qatar National Museum. THe Nat'l Museum's architecture looks very interesting...at least from the air.

So, what is Qatar's present population?

/\ That's good; very encouraging. Now Doha/Qatar should maybe do even ONE step more that will endear them even more to the IOC, invite Israeli teams as special guests.

BTW, I like the ziggurat and the envisioned Qatar National Museum. THe Nat'l Museum's architecture looks very interesting...at least from the air.

So, what is Qatar's present population?

Well Israeli Athletes has already played in Doha ;)

The Israeli Tennis player Shahar Peer came and played in Doha in 2008, and you know what was symbolic ? the fact that she came into the tennis court wearing traditional Qatari clothes :)

peer2xlarge.jpg

SOURCE

We hosted Doha 2010 IAAF Indoor Championships, an Israeli athlete came !! but this time with his flag B)

iiq1.jpg

iiq2.jpg

iiq3.jpg

Qatar's population development is amazing :blink: take a look.

1950 - 47,000

1960 - 59,000

1970 - 111,000

1978 - 201,000

1986 - 369,000

1996 - 658,000

2004 - 744,000

2005 - 863,051

2008 - 928,635

2010 - 1,696,563

The population more than doubled between 2004 and 2010 !!! The Doha 2016 Olympic applicant file stated that by 2016 the minimum population of Qatar would be 2,600,000 and it could be way higher, so we could safely say that by 2020 Population should be more or less around 3 Million.

Forgot to mention the source of the latest population figures: http://af.reuters.com/article/energyOilNews/idAFLDE6601QX20100701

Also, you could search 2010 IAAF Indoor Championship on Wikipedia and you will see in the athletes list at the end of the page that there is an Israeli in the list, too bad it didn't hit the news, could have got more publicity...

Well Israeli Athletes has already played in Doha ;)

The Israeli Tennis player Shahar Peer came and played in Doha in 2008, and you know what was symbolic ? the fact that she came into the tennis court wearing traditional Qatari clothes :)

peer2xlarge.jpg

SOURCE

We hosted Doha 2010 IAAF Indoor Championships, an Israeli athlete came !! but this time with his flag B)

iiq1.jpg

iiq2.jpg

iiq3.jpg

Qatar's population development is amazing :blink: take a look.

1950 - 47,000

1960 - 59,000

1970 - 111,000

1978 - 201,000

1986 - 369,000

1996 - 658,000

2004 - 744,000

2005 - 863,051

2008 - 928,635

2010 - 1,696,563

The population more than doubled between 2004 and 2010 !!! The Doha 2016 Olympic applicant file stated that by 2016 the minimum population of Qatar would be 2,600,000 and it could be way higher, so we could safely say that by 2020 Population should be more or less around 3 Million.

Forgot to mention the source of the latest population figures: http://af.reuters.com/article/energyOilNews/idAFLDE6601QX20100701

Also, you could search 2010 IAAF Indoor Championship on Wikipedia and you will see in the athletes list at the end of the page that there is an Israeli in the list, too bad it didn't hit the news, could have got more publicity...

It would have had the Israeli won something. I saw that event on TV, and it had some of the top stars of the sport in it like Jamaica's Veronica Campbell Brown and Croatia's Blanc Vlasic. There was also the opening of the Diamond League in Doha in May that featured American Sprinter Allyson Felix and Jamaican Sprinter Asafa Powell.

He didn't win his event, so he didn't get the publicity.

It would have had the Israeli won something. I saw that event on TV, and it had some of the top stars of the sport in it like Jamaica's Veronica Campbell Brown and Croatia's Blanc Vlasic. There was also the opening of the Diamond League in Doha in May that featured American Sprinter Allyson Felix and Jamaican Sprinter Asafa Powell.

He didn't win his event, so he didn't get the publicity.

Too bad :(, maybe next time Doha hosts an event :P.

-----

By the way, Since the last bid, a lot of things have changed, even the venues/accommodation plans has changed due to growth in the country, and the Qatar 2022 World Cup Bid gives an effect as well. for example, we have no idea what the ceremonies stadium would be. Would it be the same plan as the 2016 Bid ? the plan was to expand Khalifa International Stadium from 50,000 to 70,000 spectators and to have a roof on the east side identical to the western roof so that the stadium would be symmetrical. ;) HOWEVER, the Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup Bid proposes an entirely new stadium named the Lusail National Stadium with a capacity of 86,000 :blink: most probably the stadium will NOT have an athletics track, since its a football world cup and FIFA tends to dislike stadiums with tracks, Oh and it would be air conditioned using solar power. There is a high chance that the athletics venue would be as Aspire Dome, But I am not sure if the spectator capacity of Aspire Dome meets the IOC requirements. :huh:

According to the 2016 Bid file, the Hockey events were to be played in Al-Sadd Stadium (12,000 spectators), this might or might not change for the 2020 bid, but Al-Sadd is a great stadium, its modern, it has a roof and more importantly it has air conditioning !!! :lol:

alsadd.jpg

iaspxiqatar2fstadium2fa.jpg

pr00043.jpg

Al-Sadd is a great stadium, its modern, it has a roof and more importantly it has air conditioning !!! :lol:

Yeah, that's essential!

The venues seem to be good. I hope you get the FIFA World Cup so that you can show the IOC you can host very very big events, like South Africa is doing now. Which year's WC are you bidding for? Only 2022?

A secret from Sepp: he does not like A/C in their stadia. Too technologically advanced! :lol:

Drafts from vents will bend the new HantaViruni ball!! :lol:

:P I wonder what he is saying about the Japan bid then, thats too technologically advanced !! I read somewhere they are proposing holographic matches on all stadiums so people could visit any stadium for the same match :blink:

It looks bigger than 12,000.

The 2016 Bid File says 12,000. Wikipedia say 15,000 while, (world stadiums) says 17,000. :blink: never the less an amazing structure, it was renovated for the 2004 Gulf cup of Nations.

Yeah, that's essential!

The venues seem to be good. I hope you get the FIFA World Cup so that you can show the IOC you can host very very big events, like South Africa is doing now. Which year's WC are you bidding for? Only 2022?

Yes, since the start of the bidding process, Qatar bid for 2022 only since they realised from the beginning that there is no hope for 2018, its going to go for a European country, and thats another reason why Australia/Japan have shelved their 2018 plans, so Europe-2018 Rest of the world 2022, which is in this case is Qatar, Australia and USA. (Japan & South Korea co-hosted in 2002, 2022 is very soon for them).

Just to add to the Cultural points :unsure: ...

Souq Waqif (Traditional souq at the heart of Doha, has been restored and is under continuous expansion)

souq.jpg

souqwaqif.jpg

Cultural Village

colusieum.jpg

culturalvillageqatar7.jpg

Musheireb (New heart of Doha, restored to how it was in the past with modern elements) Under construction, 2016 full completion.

fthq3l.jpg

The State Mosque, nearly complete, will be a landmark.

aktt.jpg

It's beautiful. Another city for me to visit in the future!

Maybe take a Gulf tour ? Doha, Dubai etc. :rolleyes:

-----------

By The way, the Doha 2016 Applicant city said that there will be 82,852 rooms available for the 2016 bid, i assume for the 2020 Bid it will be much higher ? 41 new hotels are expected to open in Qatar this year alone ! thats 6,743 rooms this year :blink: The Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup bid has stated that there will be 110,000 rooms available for the 2022 tournament, so we could say around 100,000 rooms is a safe guess for the 2020 Bid ?? :huh:

And also, for the 2016 bid, they stated that 70% of the venues are ready (at that time) it could be the same or more now. The problem is that the 2022 World Cup bid is mixing things up, the ceremonies venue could be Khalifa Stadium (50,000, renovated to 70,000) or the Qatar 2022 proposed Lusail National Stadium (86,000) and I am not sure if that stadium will even have a track.

And we have the venue for Gymnastics/Artistic, Gymnastics/Trampoline & Volleyball as proposed by the 2016 Bid:

The Qatar Olympic Committee and the Government of Qatar are proposing a new 50,000 seat indoor “Dome” stadium that will meet FIFA requirements for football; but will be designed to support multiple discipline competition. It will integrate adjacent exhibition space to provide a flexible Legacy facility for the nation of Qatar and will be a focal point for the region as the first and largest Domed Stadium. The facility is air conditioned and supports both Sports and Exhibitions. Our bid proposes to separate the facility into two 15–20,000 “seat arenas” to Host Artistic Gymnastics, Trampoline and Volleyball. The integrated exhibition space will suffice as the warm up areas for competition and for the required “back of house” areas for the various Functional Areas.

unionstadia.jpg

So for the 2020 Olympics the Qatar Dome will be used for Gymnastics/Artistic, Gymnastics/Trampoline & Volleyball and the Qatar SC Stadium for the Football matches, while for the 2022 World Cup the Qatar Dome will host the football matches ?!

4612818754c5f8cb5c69o.jpg

I remember the Qatar Dome from Doha's 2016 bid. Impressive. I don't think there's much doubt that Doha could conceivably host an Olympics. They have the infrastructure and there's plenty of money . . . but the drawback to any Doha bid is going to be the same thing that kept it off the shortlist for 2016. First of all, as has been mentioned, the climate. Even Dubai has acknowledged this in their study to see if bidding for an Olympics is feasible.

The second factor though is probably even more problematic and that is going to be security. No matter how much Doha would promise safety for an Olympics, there's still the fact that Doha is in the Middle East and like it or not, there's still the stigma that security would be a problem because of all the hotspots that surround Qatar. Speaking of which, a friend of mine just got back from a job interview in Qatar. One of the first things I asked him was how safe did he feel and he told me he felt quite safe, very comfortable with security. The problem for Doha would be changing the perception that every place in the Middle East is a disaster waiting to happen.

Archived