Doha 2020

Doha 2020

Quiet Approach to 2020 Olympics for Qatar

Plans for a bid from Qatar for the 2020 Olympics are proceeding even though the primary goal for now is to win the 2022 FIFA World Cup, the secretary general of the Qatar Olympic Committee tells Around The Rings.

Sheikh Saoud Bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani confirmed that Doha will be in the race for 2020, it’s second try after failing to make the shortlist for 2016.

The sheikh says the strategy is to keep things quiet while the battle to host World Cups in 2018 and 2022 is underway. That decision by FIFA is set for December 2010.

Al-Thani says he takes comfort from the decision to award Brazil the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympics.

“I think that when the IOC chose Rio it opened a new gate. The area that is still missing an Olympics is the Middle East. Hopefully we can change that in 2020, but first we must focus on 2022,” explained Al-Thani.

“2020 will be on our agenda. Rio has the World Cup (2014) and two years later will have the Olympics. Maybe we will do the same, but the other way round.”

Doha lost out for 2016 due large part to stage the Games in October, rather than the traditional July/August dates sought by the IOC.

Al-Thani revealed that this time Qatar will accept the northern hemisphere mid-summer timing, arguing that technology and the changing world climate will come to the rescue.

“Ten years from now the weather will be different – we are already seeing the change. We can play at night in climate controlled stadia. At a recent event in our stadium a temperature no higher than 28 degrees centigrade was recorded,” claimed Al-Thani.

Qatar has recently staged world-class events in tennis, table tennis, weight-lifting and football, and will showcase its national stadium to the world on Saturday when football giants England and Brazil battle in a World Cup prep match.

Al-Thani confirmed that part of his government’s strategy is to bring more and more of these global events Doha.

“To bring a big event to the Middle East is very important. Impossible does not exist in our dictionary. Any event that will help our strategy to bring a major event to our country we will bid for,” he said.

Doha is not the only Arab Gulf city looking at the 2020 Olympics. Dubai in the United Arab Emirates is looking at the bid as well.

Around The Rings

No city got it from the first bid, Doha 2016 was our first bid, this time the chances are much higher.

20071026doha2016.jpg

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Qatar Railways

3qatarrailwaysystem.jpg

To see the EXTRA LARGE IMAGE the URL below.

http://yfrog.com/7dqatarrailwaysnetworktypj

Here is a video that shows how a Metro-Rail Main station would look like:

The Qatar Railways Development Company (QRDC) will work on the Qatar Railways Network in three phases.

The first to come on board will be the monorail metro system largely covering the ever-expanding capital, followed by linking the network with other parts of the country such as freight-intense locations of Ras Laffan and Mesaieed, and finally the international traffic to Bahrain (via the causeway) as well as Saudi Arabia.

The design consultants to QRDC have colour-coded various rail lines, red, blue, yellow, green and others that will run across the peninsula with all stations (or terminals) linking to each other.

While the Doha Metro system of the Qatar Railways Network is based on the Qatar Transport Master Plan chalked up by the Urban Planning and Development Authority, the international connections are based on the proposed Gulf Arab rail network.

“What we have proposed; and this is subject to changes, is a 340km freight track using three terminals in Mesaieed, Ras Laffan and Dukhan eventually carrying 36,000mn tonnes per year,” Deutsche Bahn International regional director Stefan Herzberg explained during a presentation yesterday.

Qatar currently imports 11,000mn tonnes of goods per year.

The Doha Metro meanwhile, will have approximately 80 stations with tracks running southwest to Industrial Area (green line), across the vital C-Ring Road (blue line), east-west towards the Education City (golden line), and south towards New Doha International Airport (NDIA, red line).

“There are expected to be four major terminals in the Doha Metro system, at the NDIA, at West Bay, Education City and a main Doha Station,” Herzberg said.

The current population of Doha is expected to double in 10 years. The student population at the Education City is also expected to rise to 10,000 and thousands of faculty and support staff, as well as 3,000 visitors on special occasions.

“Then there is the multiple light rail people mover network in areas such as Lusail and elsewhere,” he said.

“The idea itself is based on four things: gauging the demand, looking at the operation and future sustainability, public acceptance, and finally phased implementation,” Herzberg said.

The total Qatar Railways Network is expected to have a track-work of 651km with 98 stations, the official said.

Construction has startedso its not just words...

The first section of the Metro runs from the Lusail project to the New Doha International Airport

Construction has started on the first underground metro station, which will be the terminus for the future Doha Metro line, a source said yesterday.

The New Doha International Airport (NDIA) Terminal Metro Station is designed by Mott MacDonald, a global management, engineering and development consultancy.

The Metro line is to provide the rail link between Doha city and the NDIA main terminal.

Mott MacDonald was commissioned in 2008 by Qatar (represented by the NDIA Steering Committee), to develop designs for the metro connection from the New Doha International Airport to the wider Doha network.

The project included developing a metro system based on conservative parameters and space proofing of 1.3km single track twin-bored tunnels and a 305m-long by 25m-wide and 20m-deep “cut and cover” underground station.

During the preliminary design of the station box, Mott MacDonald’s team developed plans and designs, with support from sub-consultants Aedas, taking into consideration future requirements of the metro rail systems, passenger experience and safety aspects, station operations and associated facilities for the future station fit-out. This also covered engineering disciplines of rail alignment and systems, fire safety, civil and structural, electrical and mechanical engineering as well as station architecture.

Mert Yesugey, Mott MacDonald’s project manager, said: “Mott MacDonald developed the detailed design of the fully space-proofed structural shell of the station box to a tight schedule for the substantial completion of the structure ahead of the airport opening, including sectional handover of the ground level to others for completion of the above ground infrastructure in time for the airport opening in 2011.

“The provisions for the station box also included temporary electrical and mechanical systems to facilitate the maintenance, inspection and security of the station box during the interim stage until the station becomes fully operational. We are currently providing construction support services to NDIA on site until the completion of the station box construction anticipated in 2011.”

According to initial plans, the first section of the Metro runs 30km from the under-construction Lusail megaproject to the New Doha International Airport. Four further sections run a total of 55km.

“The Doha Metro rail will provide an effective solution to the city’s growing traffic problems,” a senior official of the Invensys Rail (Mena region) has said.

Speaking at a recent conference in Doha, Ala Ghanem, regional director of Invensys Rail, said the successful introduction of a metro service in Dubai and plans to develop similar facilities in other GCC states had proved the need for an efficient and effective public transport network in the entire region, including in Qatar.

“Even though the Doha Metro project’s costs will be enormous, its benefits will be numerous,” he said.

Ghanem estimated the project’s cost at about $7bn, at the current level.

New Doha International Airport

Scheduled to open on 18 December 2011 (Qatar National Day)

ndiaphaseonebirdseyevie.jpg

Latest Construction Images (April 2010)

Satellite

img01479201004071509.jpg

Ground

image090dd.jpg

All of these should belong more to SkyscraperCity than here. You're just bombarding us with renderings but with no real meat for the society that wants to host these things.

Atleast i am posting information that is directly related to the bid, its relevant... things like transportation which I just posted (New Doha International Airport & Qatar Railways) and venues (Equestrian ?), these are directly related to an Olympic bid. I am not just posting renders, but text which explains them, and shows how they are under construction and not just words/promises...

Aspire Dome

World-class athletes need world-class facilities. ASPIRE will offer that and more.

The international-standard training facilities listed below are complemented by the latest top-notch sport methodology, as well as outstanding medical, biomechanical and social services.

Inside the "Dome":

- State-of-the-art sports science labs with High Altitude Labs, Movement Analysis Labs, Power-Analysis Labs, Physiological Labs, Sports Equipment Labs, a Mechanical and Electronical Workshop, and more...

- State-of-the-art fitness halls

- State-of-the-art Physiopherapy/Medical Centre

- 1 Football pitch (official size)

- 1 small Football field

- 1 Athletics track (200m) with other facilities (long-jump, pole-vault, throwing, etc)

- 1 Olympic Swimming and Diving pool

- 1 Gymnastics hall

- 1 Sports Games hall

- 13 Table-Tennis courts

- 3 Contact Sports mats (Judo, Teakwondo ...)

- 8 Fencing strips

- 2 Squash courts

Outside Facilities:

- 7 Football pitches (2 artificial, 5 natural grass)

- 1 Goal-Keeper training area

- 1 Fitness court -1 Running track

- 2 Tennis courts

55324fulllnd.jpg

aspiredomedoha.jpg

OK.....you almost had me with all the cool pictures, but then I read the article and saw this.......

"Al-Thani revealed that this time Qatar will accept the northern hemisphere mid-summer timing, arguing that technology and the changing world climate will come to the rescue."

......all credibility is out the window for me.

ABC Under-20 Championship 2000 (14 Teams)

AFC Youth Championship 2002 (12 Teams)

Asian Men's Handball Championship 2004 (9 Teams)

World Team Table Tennis Championships 2004

2004b.jpg

Gulf Cup of Nations 2004 (8 Teams)

gulfcup2004lg.gif

Asian Junior Men's Volleyball Championship 2004 (16 Teams)

240px2004asianjuniormen.png

World Weightlifting Championships 2005

FIBA Asia Championship 2005 (16 Teams)

Men's Youth World Handball Championship 2005 (10 Teams)

2005worldyouthhandball.png

West Asian Games 2005 (13 Nations, 1200 Athletes, 11 Sports)

3rdwestasiangames.png

Asian Games 2006 (45 Nations, 13000 Athletes, 39 Sports)

img212057940.jpg

Asian Indoor Athletics Championships 2008 (29 Nations)

200px2008asianindoorath.png

FIVB Men's Club World Volleyball Championship 2009 (8 Teams)

180px2009fivbmen27sclub.png

IAAF Indoor Championships 2010 (146 Nations, 585 Athletes)

55579fulllnd.jpg

FIBA Asia Champions Cup 2010 (10 Teams)

doha2010logo.jpg

IHF Super Globe (2002 & 2010)

201020superglobe20logo2.jpg

World 9-Ball Championship 2010

w9bc.png

And in the near future

AFC Asian Cup 2011 (16 Teams)

180px2011afcasiancupcre.png

Pan Arab Games 2011 (22 Nations)

114219.jpg

Asian Indoor & Martial Arts 2013

Bidding for

2011 FIBA World Club Championship

2020 Summer Olympics

2022 FIFA World Cup

qatar2022bidlogo.jpg

It'll be interesting to see what "excuse" the IOC gives Doha next time not to include them to go forward, if they move up the dates & propose a July/August time frame. Or, will they include them on the short-list & just grill Doha on the Final Evaluation Report. Oh, I can just see the Olympic Bid/Diplomatic drama now! B)

It'll be interesting to see what "excuse" the IOC gives Doha next time not to include them to go forward, if they move up the dates & propose a July/August time frame. Or, will they include them on the short-list & just grill Doha on the Final Evaluation Report. Oh, I can just see the Olympic Bid/Diplomatic drama now! B)

Well this time the bid is stronger, by the time the bidding process has begun, Doha would have had even more events hosted since the 2016 bid. And yes this time they are definitely going for the July/August time frame, i think they will utilize the eco-friendly Solar powered cooling techniques proposed for the "Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup Bid" stadiums, they will run tests on a prototype stadium in September with FIFA officials present, there is already a stadium in Doha that has the "open-air" cooling since 2004, but its not eco-friendly.

Since we are talking about stadiums, these 2 stadiums (Al-Khor & Al-Wakrah) will be built regardless of Qatar hosting the 2022 World Cup, they are part of their cities masterplans, they might be used for the football events. :)

Al-Khor Stadium (25,500 permanent, 19,830 modular)

45739515838879f912e1o.jpg

Al-Wakrah Stadium & Complex(25,500 Permanent, 19,620 modular)

4573951331cfd1119a84o.jpg

By the way "The Khalifa Stadium and the Aspire Dome received silver medals from the IOC at the 20th International Association for Sports and Leisure Facilities (IAKS) Congress." :huh:

As long as the guys running the bid don't screw up like 2016, we are going with the IOC time frame, isn't it between July and August ? or July-September ?? :huh:

But the daytime temperatures are REALLY still going to be BRUTAL and you can't hold Beach Volleyball, Rowing, the Marathons, Shooting, Triathlon, etc., etc. at night. I notice you did NOT address that issue earlier. There is NO WAY the networks would go with an all-NIGHT Olympic coverage. What would be the Mole-People Olympics? :blink:

I mean the IOC will still see through Doha's do-or-die attempts to host EVEN THOUGH it seems that realistic parameters are being swept under the rug.

Doha/Dubai should just host a nite World Expo. You will make a lot of people less unhappy.

BTW, I don't mean to be ultra-negative. I am just being frank and maybe hope to save your people some $$ and hurt feelings. You should really be more realistic of your chances. But I know this will fall on deaf ears.

But the daytime temperatures are REALLY still going to be BRUTAL and you can't hold Beach Volleyball, Rowing, the Marathons, Shooting, Triathlon, etc., etc. at night. I notice you did NOT address that issue earlier. There is NO WAY the networks would go with an all-NIGHT Olympic coverage. What would be the Mole-People Olympics? :blink:

I mean the IOC will still see through Doha's do-or-die attempts to host EVEN THOUGH it seems that realistic parameters are being swept under the rug.

Doha/Dubai should just host a nite World Expo. You will make a lot of people less unhappy.

BTW, I don't mean to be ultra-negative. I am just being frank and maybe hope to save your people some $$ and hurt feelings. You should really be more realistic of your chances. But I know this will fall on deaf ears.

Solar-Powerd air conditioning ?? Thats the case with the football venues... and i guess the Equestrian venue could stage the event at night as well.

Solar-Powerd air conditioning ?? Thats the case with the football venues... and i guess the Equestrian venue could stage the event at night as well.

Yes, Qatar Son...but what about the Rowing Basin? the Open-water swims for the Triathlon? the Cycling road races? the Marathons? Beach Volleyball in solar-powered A/C? Etc., etc.

I'd say 55% of the Summer Olympic slate are HELD outdoors...that's why...it's called the Summer Olympics. And you CAN'T stage all of those at NIGHT. The networks, the federations, the athletes' inner body clocks, and maybe even PLAIN logistics will NOT allow it.

Your bid people should study that possibility more because the bid may be, how do I say it kindly, "brushed aside" very gently again. Your (western) consultants which I imagine you are using...should tell you that. But of course, they probably won't because they will lose the business.

Maybe I shouldn't be too hepped up about this...after all, you said that the 2020 bid is really just a smokescreen for the more serious WC 2022 bid. OK, I've said my piece about 2020; maybe Doha will have better chances for the 2022 WC which it seems is what you really want. But why go thru the 2020 exercise WHEN the 2022 WC will be decided sooner--this Dec, while the 2020 SOG doesn't get picked until 2013? :blink: Again, the strategy makes absolutely no sense??? It'll just make Doha look so foolish.

The weather is not the only major problem a Gulf State bid would have. Besides the politics, Doha & Dubai should also really consider that they would most likely cancel each other out if they both were to go after 2020.

And then throw Istanbul in the mix too, & you have a serious 3-way split within that geopolitical region. Although in that possible scenario, I could easily see the IOC taking Istanbul on board the short-list (as a pawn, like the IOC did for the 2008 race) & discarding the other 2 M.E. bids. That way the, "shutting the door on the Muslim world" card couldn't be used again.

The weather is not the only major problem a Gulf State bid would have. Besides the politics, Doha & Dubai should also really consider that they would most likely cancel each other out if they both were to go after 2020.

I thought of that too...but with Dubai bailing out of the 2013 FINA champs, I thought it pretty much burned its draft card there.

Yes, Qatar Son...but what about the Rowing Basin? the Open-water swims for the Triathlon? the Cycling road races? the Marathons? Beach Volleyball in solar-powered A/C? Etc., etc.

I'd say 55% of the Summer Olympic slate are HELD outdoors...that's why...it's called the Summer Olympics. And you CAN'T stage all of those at NIGHT. The networks, the federations, the athletes' inner body clocks, and maybe even PLAIN logistics will NOT allow it.

Your bid people should study that possibility more because the bid may be, how do I say it kindly, "brushed aside" very gently again. Your (western) consultants which I imagine you are using...should tell you that. But of course, they probably won't because they will lose the business.

Maybe I shouldn't be too hepped up about this...after all, you said that the 2020 bid is really just a smokescreen for the more serious WC 2022 bid. OK, I've said my piece about 2020; maybe Doha will have better chances for the 2022 WC which it seems is what you really want. But why go thru the 2020 exercise WHEN the 2022 WC will be decided sooner--this Dec, while the 2020 SOG doesn't get picked until 2013? :blink: Again, the strategy makes absolutely no sense??? It'll just make Doha look so foolish.

There is no way the entire event will be at night, shading and open-air cooling should be utilised as much as possible, by the way, the swimming events wouldn't be effected by the heat, the athlete's are in water... we have had cycling road races here in Qatar before, the Qatar tours etc etc. if the beach vollyball would be surrounded all around with spectator seats (unlike the rio 2016 BV venue) then air-conditioning would be a choice...

By the way, I don't think its a bad idea, since Rio is getting 2016 Olympics and Brazil the 2014 FIFA World Cup, If Qatar looses the 2022 hosting rights, then 2020 is the plan, however if Qatar (somehow) got 2022, they really need to rethink the 2020 bid clearly...

I thought of that too...but with Dubai bailing out of the 2013 FINA champs, I thought it pretty much burned its draft card there.

Dubai has the 2019 Asian Games to worry about, they don't have enough hosting experience.

And then throw Istanbul in the mix too, & you have a serious 3-way split within that geopolitical region. Although in that possible scenario, I could easily see the IOC taking Istanbul on board the short-list (as a pawn, like the IOC did for the 2008 race) & discarding the other 2 M.E. bids. That way the, "shutting the door on the Muslim world" card couldn't be used again.

Don't forget that Dubai never bid before while Doha bid for 2016, which has gone to Rio, in fact, Doha ranked higher than Rio in the IOC scores...

Maybe Doha wasn't prepared enough for the 2016 Games, but I understand their annoyance when Rio was shortlisted with a mark half a point lower than theirs, and eventually managed to win. However, I didn't like the "closing the door to the Arab world" they said after that, I think it's nonsense. It's not because you are Muslim, but because of the dates. I also understand this issue is difficult to solve, though.

I think Doha will bid for 2020 with Istanbul, and that won't be shortlisted while Istanbul will, unless they have a wonderful bid, which could leave Istanbul out of the race. I can't imagine both cities on the shortlist. I don't know why but I find it unlikely...

if Qatar (somehow) got 2022, they really need to rethink the 2020 bid clearly...

The Brazil-Rio situation is reversed. They got 2014 first because it was awarded first; and that sort of laid the groundwork for the 2016 quest.

Same thing with South Africa now. They are just about done with 2010 and have shown what they can do. That'll set the stage for a credible 2020 run.

But insofar as Doha's 2020-22 strategy, it seems turned inside out. Yes, 2022 is being awarded BEFORE a chronological 2020...so, the 2022 winner (especially a smaller nation) will MOST certainly not be saddled with the much larger 2020 Summer Games. So you are right, your bid people better rethink their inverted strategy. They should really be seriously shooting for 2024 for an Olympics...rather than the 2020; but in which case 2020 might just be another (traumatic maybe) trial run??

Archived