PERTH 2020

bannersvo.png

Western Australia awakens: Perth enters bid race.

PERTH (Western Australia, Australia). The West Australian, 9:00am Wednesday 30 June, 2010

The Western Australian city of Perth has officially committed to Australian bidding to host the 2020 Summer Olympic Games. The announcement was made early this morning by Lord Mayor Lisa Scaffidi (pictured) and newly appointed bid CEO, Aronious. Speaking at the announcement Ms Scaffidi outlined that:

"The Olympic Games represents all that this city embodies; acceptance, inspiration, togetherness and the advancement of humanity. An Olympic Games in Perth would be an accreditation to the people of Perth's commitment to these values".

The unveiling of the interim bid logo also took place at the announcement. Bid CEO, Aronious described the logo as "dynamic" and "representative of Perth's position on a sandy coastal plain, with the green mountains to its east. It also represents the beautiful landscape the city exists in as well as the cities iconic bird, the black swan"

Early plans for the bid were also discussed including the potential of a "river park", development of a new stadium and inclusion of venues outside of the City of Perth.

lscaffidi.jpg

Lisa Scaffidi (Lord Mayor) was on hand to announce the bid.

63864069.png

South coast wind-farm south of Perth.

Perth bid points to a low cost games; focus on the environment.

PERTH (The Sunday Times) 4:00pm Monday 5 July2010.

For the first time since launching the bid, the biddingcommittee of the Perth 2020 Summer Olympic Games has outlined details of whatto expect from the bid. Speaking at the third annual "Perth2030" summit at thePerth Convention Exhibition Centre, bid CEO Aronious discussed the goal toprovide for a low cost games and one that was centred on the environment. "Werecognise Hobart may also compete for the Australian bid for the 2020 Games andwe recognise their strong environmental presence" Mr Aronious said in responseto the cities rather poor environmental credentials. "We understand we startfrom a low base, but I guess that gives us something to work towards, somethingto strive to and more importantly, something to offer".

"Under our vision we plan to offer the lowest cost games experiencedin several Olympiads in recognition of the Games ballooning size and integrity"."We'd like to think, that or Games, held in our city, wouldn't just be aboutthe legacy for individuals of Perth, or about venues, but more about the spiritof the Games...and the spectacle of human emotion".

More detailed of the proposed bid are expected in the comingweeks.

bigskycity1wideweb430x3.jpg

The Perth bid will have a strong focus on the Swan River

Leaked: Perth Olympic River Plan First Look

PERTH (Western Australia, Australia). The West Australian, 5:00pm Monday 5 July, 2010

A first look at Perth's Olympic ambitions has been leaked to the internet. The plan shows a vast "Olympic River" park that stretches several kilometres through Perth's central businesses area an focuses on the Swan River. Included in the plan are venues along Langley Park, an Olympic Stadium, major sites on the Burswood Peninsula and and Olympic Village at Belmont Park.

The organising committee of the Perth Games has declined to comment on the leak but acknowledges that in the coming days, more details will be made clear, in lieu of the leaked information.

olympicriverzone.png

The leaked plan obtained earlier today.

Perth Announces 2020 Venue Plan

The bid committee of the Perth 2020 is proud to announce thecities intended venues for the Olympic Games.

The Olympic River (Distance to CBD - 0km)

The Olympic River cluster will be a celebration of Perth's naturalbeauty by focusing itself on the cities main estuary; the Swan River. TheOlympic River will include 9 competition sites as well as the Olympic Village,MBC/IBC, Media Village, Olympic Hotels and commercial districts. The venuesincluded in the Olympic River include the Olympic Stadium, and Arena, TennisCentre and seating for archery and triathlon. The Olympic River will span theSwan River from the Esplanade to Burswood Peninsula.

Olympic Stadium (including warm-up facilities)

Olympic Arena

Perth Convention Exhibition Centre

State Tennis Centre

Olympic Sports Pavillion (x3)

Langley Park

Handball Arena

belmont26rf.jpg

Olympic River venues would all have access to the Swan River

Sports Park (Distance to CBD – 5km)

The Sports Park cluster will include a number of venueslocated at the picturesque location of Mount Claremont. Located just 5km fromthe CBD, the cluster will play host to aquatics, track and BMX cycling, rhythmicgymnastics, volleyball and taekwondo. The cluster with be serviced by highfrequency light rail and bus services.

Challenge Stadium

Challenge Aquatic Centre

Olympic Velodrome

BMX Park

anzchampionshipsrd3feve.jpg

Sports Park venues would be based around an expanded Challenge Stadium

Central Zone (Distance to CBD - 0-2.5km)

Venues located within the central zone radiate from the CBDto a distance of 2.5km. All venues will remain within immediate proximity toexisting TransPerth railway stations. Venues within this cluster will play hostto rugby, football, road cycling, walks and basketball. The central zone does not include venueswithin the Olympic River cluster.

Perth Arena

Stadium Western Australia

ME Bank Stadium

Kings Park

perthstadium.jpg

The central arena cluster will include venues such as Stadium Western Australia (65,000 seats)

Other Venues

Champion Lakes Regatta Centre

Darlington Park

Cottesloe Beach

Fremantle

Claremont Showgrounds & Lake Claremont

Perth Hockey Stadium

Royal Perth Golf Club

cote.png

Cottesloe Beach will be the location of the beach volleyball events.

I love your bid, aronious - when I take a look on the venue map is it like I am "coming" home due my fantasy CWG bid

Perth's Olympic Stadium

stadium2.pngstadium1.png

Stadium in Games mode (80,000 seats, athletics track)

Transport: Belmont Park Station (0.5km), Burswood Station (2km), Graham Farmer Freeway (0.5km)

Cost: $700m

Events: Opening Ceremony, Athletics (Track & Field), Marathon, Football (Final), Rugby (Final), Closing Ceremony

Current Capacity: New Venue

Games Capacity: 80,000 seats

Legacy Capacity: 40,000 seats

stadium3u.png

Stadium in legacy mode (40,000 seats, oval pitch)

Legacy Use: Permanent home venue for the cities third AFL team and also available for use by other AFL clubs, football/teams, domestic and international cricket, athletics and other events. Capable of expansion back to Games capacity at any point in time.

23731olympicstadium2.png

Events: Opening Ceremony, Athletics (Track & Field), Marathon, Football (Final), Rugby (Final), Closing Ceremony

IMO, the Rugby Sevens final in another venue than the rest of the tournament, it's not a good idea. A Rugby Sevens matrch is 20 minutes long, and a IRB Sevens World Series tournament is held during 2 days, with the final the same day as the semi and the quarter. It's impossible to hold them at different venues. The Olympic Tournament will look like IRB Sevens World Series so, all the matches in the same venue during 2 days of competition.

IMO, the Rugby Sevens final in another venue than the rest of the tournament, it's not a good idea. A Rugby Sevens matrch is 20 minutes long, and a IRB Sevens World Series tournament is held during 2 days, with the final the same day as the semi and the quarter. It's impossible to hold them at different venues. The Olympic Tournament will look like IRB Sevens World Series so, all the matches in the same venue during 2 days of competition.

Noted.

My original intention was to have the tournament (up to semi finals and the final) at another venue with the final events held separately at the Olympic Stadium later in the Games.

I know in the Commonwealth Games they play it as a carnival (given the short Game lengths). I'll consider further what you've mentioned DamC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Has there been any development on this lately? I just saw the same exact quote from the original post on Wikipedia today. Is there any reason to get my hopes up about a potential Perth bid? Heres the Wikipedia link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Summer_Olympics

Has there been any development on this lately? I just saw the same exact quote from the original post on Wikipedia today. Is there any reason to get my hopes up about a potential Perth bid? Heres the Wikipedia link.

http://en.wikipedia....Summer_Olympics

There is no Perth bid. This thread is merely part of a previous fantasy bid competition run by Gamebids.

I'm not sure who posted the information on Wikipedia but it has now been deleted.

You're name is mentioned there! Well I know Hobart is actively trying to bid for 2020, but if Perth officially puts it's hand up then it will be chosen, assuming of course the government and AOC wants to spend the money to bid.

A new 60,000 seater oval shaped stadium should be ideally designed to fit an athletics track without major modification like what was necessary for the MCG for the 2006 Commonwealth Games. Will it be retractable? I could see the possibility of such a function being used if it's available where the Athletics competition is moved a day earlier so that the football final can be played on the last day before the Closing Ceremony in a rectangular setup.

How about the other venues?

You got an existing convention center that could be used for indoor sports. Burswood Dome, can that still be used? The nearby swimming pools could be used like they were for the Aquatics Championships. There's also that new 12,000 seater arena downtown...

Definitely more than what Hobart has.

• 2 weeks later...

A new 60,000 seater oval shaped stadium should be ideally designed to fit an athletics track without major modification like what was necessary for the MCG for the 2006 Commonwealth Games. Will it be retractable? I could see the possibility of such a function being used if it's available where the Athletics competition is moved a day earlier so that the football final can be played on the last day before the Closing Ceremony in a rectangular setup.

How about the other venues?

You got an existing convention center that could be used for indoor sports. Burswood Dome, can that still be used? The nearby swimming pools could be used like they were for the Aquatics Championships. There's also that new 12,000 seater arena downtown...

Definitely more than what Hobart has.

A Perth bid is still entirely fanatical. The city is at least a decade away from having the resources to bid, let alone the desire.

It is looking increasingly likely we'll see a 65,000 seat stadium at Burswood and a 30,000 rectangular venue on the ME Stadium site. There is also the convention centre and new Perth Arena currently under construction. Burswood Dome will be demolished once the new arena is completed.

The majority of other venues would likely be split between the existing sports precinct at Mount Claremont (Challenge Stadium, 10,000 capacity athletics stadiums, swimming pools etc) and maybe a few new or temporary venues at Burswood near the new stadium and existing tennis complex.

There are also a handful of other venues around the city that could be used for temporary Games sites such as Kings Park, Claremont Showgrounds (and adjacent park) for Equestrian, Champion Lakes for rowing etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived