Wimbledon 2010

This is what London 2012 official website says about fencing:

Originally, there was no time limit for a Fencing contest. This was changed after one match lasted seven hours in the 1930s.

Maybe it's time for tennis to do the same...

59-59, it is incredible! They must be tired but I hope the match will last much more: it will be interesting to remember this if it's still a record in many years' time :lol:

Anyone watching this match? :o

You bet,I haven't been able to take my eyes off it! I've been flicking back and forth all day between that and the England match.But I didn't realise you were interested in tennis! :P

I quite like tennis, but don't watch a huge amount. I'll watch Wimbledon and bits of the other 'slams. And Davis Cup sometimes. :)

The funniest thing about this match is the guy commentating for it on the BBC was doing his first ever TV commentary. I guess the BBC thought they'd ease him in gently and let him cut his teeth on a nice, low-profile match on Court 18. :lol:

I wonder when the time will come where they just decide to toss a coin - this First Round Match will soon start delaying the Second and Third!

I voiced the opinion that at 30 games all they should probably play a tie-breaker! Shortly afterwards Novak Djokovic and John McEnroe said much the same thing! Bloody copycats!! :lol:

On the other hand,introducing final set tie-breakers takes away the chance to equal or surpass previous longevity records which are part of the fun of watching this sport.I guess Wimbledon (and other tournaments) will keep an eye on this and if it starts to occur too often then that is what I think they will be forced to do.At the moment,this looks like a marvellous one-off which is unlikely to be repeated anytime soon so I think Wimbledon will probably hold off for the moment!

WOW :blink:

This "match" will enter a third day!

59-59 !!! Incredible

It is a stunning tribute to the stamina and fitness of these two players that they can keep going for this length of time and neither one crack under the strain! It is especially impressive that Mahut has been able to hold serve 59 consecutive times in order to stave off losing the match!!!

Both men have served unbelievably with well over 90 aces each! Isner looked spent,he could barely move but he still managed to serve out his games.He will probably be as stiff as a board when he comes out tomorrow whilst Mahut looked much the fresher.What is he on??? :blink:

This is already the longest tennis match in Wimbledon (and all tennis?) history.Whoever finally gets the result,both men will be winners!It's what makes this sport so uniquely fascinating!! B)

And to think some people on here said tennis is boring!!!

The Queen is visiting Wimbledon as the longest tennis match on record enters its 11th hour.

Nicolas Mahut and John Isner – unknown to the wider sporting world yesterday, household names this morning – will drag their weary bodies back on to court at Wimbledon this evening to resume the longest match in tennis history as the Queen makes her first visit since 1977.

The monarch will meet Andy Murray and see him in action on Centre Court in her first visit to the All England Club in 33 years.

Her arrival comes after Wimbledon history was made on Wednesday night as Isner and Mahut smashed a host of records on Court 18.

A string of tennis records were blown away as Mahut and Isner came off court on at Wimbledon on Wednesday at 59-59 in the final set, having slugged it out for 10 hours when play was suspended as they ran out of daylight.

The last time the Queen visited Wimbledon in her Silver Jubilee year of 1977, Virginia Wade won the women's singles title for Britain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/7851354/The-Queen-at-Wimbledon.html

The epic match on Court 18 finally concluded in Isner's favour with 70 games to Mahut's 68!!!

A special presentation was made to both players after the match by Tim Henman and Ann Jones.I think Mahut was desperate to get off (he was obviously bitterly disappointed) but they made both players have their picture taken by the scoreboard.

It will be a record that almost certainly will stand for all time.No matter what happens to either of these two players from here on in,they will always be remembered for this epic match.And that's something!!! B)

Isn't amazing that Court 18, tucked away in the corner got the world's attention...crack up! :lol:

Still a herculian effort by both players...Well done!

I missed the end of the match because the climax of the Italy/Slovakia game was at the same time!

Life's been made very difficult with tennis and two fooball matches all vying for one's attention at the same time. tongue.gif

The funniest thing about this match is the guy commentating for it on the BBC was doing his first ever TV commentary. I guess the BBC thought they'd ease him in gently and let him cut his teeth on a nice, low-profile match on Court 18. :lol:

And a superb job he did too. Until it was mentioned you had no reason to assume he was a novice - it sounded like he'd been doing the job for years. (Thank god it wasn't McEnroe who'd have spent the time moaning about tie breaks!).

And the rule should absolutely be left as it is. They say the record will never be broken, but all records are there to be broken and no reason why it won't one day, eventually.

Isner and Mahut did tennis so proud on Wednesday - and the contrast between these two men and the overpaid pansies at the World Cup is stark.

• 11 months later...

2011: This Time, Isner Makes Quick Work of Mahut

WIMBLEDON, England — The actors and the script were so familiar, one half expected to look up at the umpire’s chair Tuesday at Wimbledon and see the director Todd Phillips presiding over the first-round match between John Isner and Nicolas Mahut.

Like Phillips’s “The Hangover Part II,” which was playing at the Odeon theaters in the Wimbledon town center, the sequel between Isner and Mahut was not as memorable as their history-making first-round match last year.

The result was the same, but this time Isner, an American, needed a mere 2 hours 3 minutes and three sets to dispatch the Frenchman, Mahut. His 7-6 (4), 6-2, 7-6 (6) victory was a breeze compared with the players’ serve-fest in 2010 that consumed 11:05 over three days, with Isner prevailing by 70-68 in the fifth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/22/sports/tennis/wimbledon-2011-this-time-isner-makes-quick-work-of-mahut.html

Archived