Round of 16

gotosy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Uruguay is the first quarterfinalist, having defeated South Korea 2-1. The South Koreans fought well, but not enough against that pretty compact Uruguayan defence.

Uruguay will now play against USA or Ghana next Friday, standing a good chance there to reach even the semifinal. I think Uruguay is already now the biggest surprise of this World Cup.

And once more, it's proven that this seems to be a strongly South American World Cup.

Well, Uruguay its indeed surprising me a lot. I can already predict a Quarter final match between them and the USA. One of them will become for sure the biggest surprise of this WC if they reach the semifinals.

And sorry Korea, but referees didnt help you this time :P

Uruguay has been great... but they have been lucky to not been against a really good squad.

They deserve to be in quarterfinals and I guess they are the favourites to be in semifinals, but I'm sure they are not one of the four best teams in this WC.

Anyway, I'm really happy that a South American partner is on the next round. Go Argentina and Paraguay, now!

LEAVE CARLOS BOCANEGRA IN SOUTH AFRICA!! Seriously the guy is not only the team captain, but he made a mistak in overtime that you see high school players warned against. One of the biggest disappointments in U.S. soccer history.

The streak of the U.S. losing to teams they shouldn't continues. . .

1994 -Romania

1998 - Iran

2002 - Poland

2006 - Ghana

2010 - Ghana (again)

USA should be proud of their team. Great great team with some real good players, but...

I want to say something. USA should learn that soccer/football is not only a tactical sport (like Basketball or American Football). Soccer, many time, specially in this kind of match is also heart and other unmeasureable things. This was proven today.

I hope this defeat, watched by millions of Americans as never USA watched a soccer match, be a real beginning of a new era of Soccer in the US!

GO USA! I'm sure you'll be better and stronger in Brazil 2014.

Yes, my gut tells me the 2014 team will be a better one.

I hope so but I've never been sold on Bob Bradley as team manager. At some point, I think the USSF has to fork over the big bucks and bring in someone like Jurgen Klinsman or a top level coach from the Premier League. Bradley made some very questionable lineup moves in the Ghana game such as starting Clark and Findley then waiting way too long to replace Altidore. The U.S. has also continued a pattern since 1994 to lose to teams they should beat: (1994 - Romania, 1998 - Iran, 2002 - Poland, 2006 - Ghana, 2010 - Ghana (again.)

Bradley reminds me a lot of Steve Sampson, only Bradley has better players.

LEAVE CARLOS BOCANEGRA IN SOUTH AFRICA!! Seriously the guy is not only the team captain, but he made a mistak in overtime that you see high school players warned against. One of the biggest disappointments in U.S. soccer history.

The streak of the U.S. losing to teams they shouldn't continues. . .

1994 -Romania

1998 - Iran

2002 - Poland

2006 - Ghana

2010 - Ghana (again)

You do realize that Romania was ranked 7th in the world heading into the 1994 World Cup? And Poland was ranked higher than the USA in 2002?

You do realize that Romania was ranked 7th in the world heading into the 1994 World Cup? And Poland was ranked higher than the USA in 2002?

Romania was 7th in the world going into the 1994 World Cup? Are you sure it wasn't after the World Cup ended because I know the Romanians had a deep run that year. I remember most predictions had Romania finishing at the bottom of their group that year. Any way to look up past FIFA rankings?

Last goal of Pele, a great viral video made by Brazilian cellphone operator Vivo..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF3x6UmOfS0&feature=player_embedded

Of course, against Argentina.

Not worry about languages, few speeches.

Archived