gotosy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably it will be the first time I will say this in my entire life but:

VAMOS ALBICELESTE!!

ah... and also...

VAMOS CHARRÚAS!!

I hope for the five CONMEBOL teams in quarterfinals :)

Well, we do have a tradition to uphold. WC outside of Europe are always won by Latin American teams. And given how well they have been performing so far...but nah, I guess that's being a little too optimistic? Still, I'll be happy to see the two usual suspects from CONMEBOL advancing into the tournament. ;)

I hope for the five CONMEBOL teams in quarterfinals smile.gif

Mexico is a de facto CONMEBOL member since their national team plays Copa America and their clubs plays Libertadores da America Cup.

So, KRATK, you can join me on:

ARRIBA MEXICO!!!

Mexico is a de facto CONMEBOL member since their national team plays Copa America and their clubs plays Libertadores da America Cup.

So, KRATK, you can join me on:

ARRIBA MEXICO!!!

That's why I hate more than anything Mexican football... because they are cowards.

They want to be treated as a CONMEBOL member but they don't want to have the duties of one of them.

Yeah... they love to play the Libertadores and Sudamericana (!!!) Cups... and the Copa América... even they wanted to host it!

But hell no... we won't be a part of CONMEBOL... why should we be a part of it if we can play against strong teams like Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and Guatemala?! Of course, they will qualify to all the World Cups together with the US, but at least the last ones are happy with CONCACAF at all and not pretending to be somewhere else.

That's why I hate more than anything Mexican football... because they are cowards.

They want to be treated as a CONMEBOL member but they don't want to have the duties of one of them.

Yeah... they love to play the Libertadores and Sudamericana (!!!) Cups... and the Copa América... even they wanted to host it!

But hell no... we won't be a part of CONMEBOL... why should we be a part of it if we can play against strong teams like Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and Guatemala?! Of course, they will qualify to all the World Cups together with the US, but at least the last ones are happy with CONCACAF at all and not pretending to be somewhere else.

It would be more interesting to having a Pan-American Confederation.

Imagine how complex it would be to qualify for World Cup and also the Continental Cup would be ways more interesting with 16 or 24 teams.

I can also imagine a Pan-Continental Clubs Competition... Imagine some Pan-American Champions League!!!

Indeed, maybe americans would get more interested in soccer when they have their clubs playing against Brazilian and Argentine clubs.

In other hand, a match between the canadian club and the chilean one would request long trips in airplanes... This is not good.

It would be more interesting to having a Pan-American Confederation.

Imagine how complex it would be to qualify for World Cup and also the Continental Cup would be ways more interesting with 16 or 24 teams.

I can also imagine a Pan-Continental Clubs Competition... Imagine some Pan-American Champions League!!!

Indeed, maybe americans would get more interested in soccer when they have their clubs playing against Brazilian and Argentine clubs.

In other hand, a match between the canadian club and the chilean one would request long trips in airplanes... This is not good.

I think merging the Americas, and Oceania with Asia is the way forward.

Do you guys realize that one of Uruguay, Ghana, USA or South Korea will be one of the last 4 country left and will fight for a place in the World cup final :blink:

I predict the semis will be like the ones in Usa 94 & Japan 02, very surprising!

Do you guys realize that one of Uruguay, Ghana, USA or South Korea will be one of the last 4 country left and will fight for a place in the World cup final blink.gif

I predict the semis will be like the ones in Usa 94 & Japan 02, very surprising!

If Uruguay gets the semis will be not exactly a surprise, they won World Cup twice.

It would be the second time in the semis for USA (yes, they reached semis in 1930) and South Korea (2002).

Ok, if Ghana reaches the semis it will be a suprise.

I think merging the Americas, and Oceania with Asia is the way forward.

But it's not interesting for Football politics...

Of course, a WC without Mexico or the US would be bad for FIFA's bank accounts... but you could say the same for Germany, France, England, Spain, Russia, Japan and so on...

IMHO, one of the best ways of the US becoming a competitive and passionate football nation is playing against harder teams. A final round of qualification with Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Mexico, Paraguay, the US and Costa Rica would be much better... and at the end, more profitable... how many people watch or go to the stadiums to see a qualification match between the US and Jamaica? now, how many would be in a match between the US and Brazil or Argentina?

Of course, a WC without Mexico or the US would be bad for FIFA's bank accounts... but you could say the same for Germany, France, England, Spain, Russia, Japan and so on...

IMHO, one of the best ways of the US becoming a competitive and passionate football nation is playing against harder teams. A final round of qualification with Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Mexico, Paraguay, the US and Costa Rica would be much better... and at the end, more profitable... how many people watch or go to the stadiums to see a qualification match between the US and Jamaica? now, how many would be in a match between the US and Brazil or Argentina?

IMHO, the PanAmerican Football Confederation would be great!!!

There is a similar discussion in Orkut (Brazilian most visited Social Media site). They said Qualification for World Cup would be unfair since, probably, no Central America/Caribbean team would qualify.

For me, those from Central Am and Caribbean would benefit from more interchange and

it's better for the World Cup to have Ecuador and Peru than Honduras and Costa Rica, don't you think?

Curently we have the draw of death: Germay, England, Argentina and Mexico.

Besides, we have a sure surprise on the semis: Ghana, USA, Uruguay and South Korea. It's more surprising if we realize that a semifinal would be a novelty for only one of the four, which is Ghana. USA (30), South Korea(02) and Uruguay (30, 50, 54 and 70) have already been there. Uruguay has won the WC twice (30 and 50)

On the other groups, we might have another draw of death with Brazil, Italy and the Netherlands, with a slight possibility of having Spain on it as well. On the other side, it should be Paraguay, Portugal, Denmark or Japan.

Group H is pretty much undecided. I wouldn't dare to say that the Chileans are an easy opponent for the Spanish...

I am surprised there is South American support for one confederation for the entire Americas. But I agree it is the way forward. But its not like CONCACAF is a slouch. Mexico/USA have qualified for the Round of 16 at every world cup since 1994, whereas Asia hasn't. And even in a merged confederation strong generations from the likes of Costa Rica or Guatemala would still be able to qualify.

Its just the travel. Imagine a final group of Chila-Canada-Barbados-Guatemala? That is a lot of travel.

I am surprised there is South American support for one confederation for the entire Americas. But I agree it is the way forward. But its not like CONCACAF is a slouch. Mexico/USA have qualified for the Round of 16 at every world cup since 1994, whereas Asia hasn't. And even in a merged confederation strong generations from the likes of Costa Rica or Guatemala would still be able to qualify.

Its just the travel. Imagine a final group of Chila-Canada-Barbados-Guatemala? That is a lot of travel.

I'm not saying Mexico or the US are easy teams... probably in a merged confederation, they will qualify anyways. But there are other two spots filled by a team usually weaker than the fifth and sixth place in CONMEBOL. Colombia or Ecuador deserved to be in the World Cup instead of Honduras, for example. The same could be said about Trinidad and Tobago in 2006...

And I agree that strong teams of Central American could qualify. Costa Rica isn't an easy team... they have won against South American squads a lot of times. But if you want to be in the World Cup, I think there should be a toughter opposition. Just like Australia thought some years ago.

And about the travel... I think there are ways to solve it. But I don't think it would be that terrible... most of the Chilean players, for example, have to travel from Europe to Chile for the qualification matches so they could travel direct to Canada and even that would be closer.

On the other groups, we might have another draw of death with Brazil, Italy and the Netherlands, with a slight possibility of having Spain on it as well. On the other side, it should be Paraguay, Portugal, Denmark or Japan.

Italy is already out, and I hope Spain to be the next to depart home.

I'm not saying Mexico or the US are easy teams... probably in a merged confederation, they will qualify anyways. But there are other two spots filled by a team usually weaker than the fifth and sixth place in CONMEBOL. Colombia or Ecuador deserved to be in the World Cup instead of Honduras, for example. The same could be said about Trinidad and Tobago in 2006...

And I agree that strong teams of Central American could qualify. Costa Rica isn't an easy team... they have won against South American squads a lot of times. But if you want to be in the World Cup, I think there should be a toughter opposition. Just like Australia thought some years ago.

And about the travel... I think there are ways to solve it. But I don't think it would be that terrible... most of the Chilean players, for example, have to travel from Europe to Chile for the qualification matches so they could travel direct to Canada and even that would be closer.

I would say that for the first time this world cup has had 32 teams that haven't looked out of place, in at least 1 game. Honduras played well against Chile and reasonably well against Spain. Its not like Iran or Saudi Arabia or Angola or Togo from years past that were always one step behind.

There certainly have been some surprising results to support your statement - Germany/Serbia, Italy/New Zealand, England/Algeria, Switzerland/Spain.

The traditional football powers of Europe are certainly feeling the consequences!

I just think more of the right teams have qualified.

Honestly I think FIFA has things almost right, Africa shouldn't have 6 spots, the quality isn't there. Europe should have a 14th because what is lacking from Europe is equal to the collective quality of the entire contingent from Africa (Russia, Poland, Sweden, Croatia, Ukraine). Put any of those 5 teams in any of the European group spots and there is no way you can argue that they would not have a good to excellent chance of getting out of the group.

Another spot for Europe?

Let me see... at this moment, only one qualification group has 80% of the teams in the next round and as winners of their groups and maybe the other one could follow them today. Instead, from Europe we have seen uninspired and boring squads... even from the Eastern Hemisphere, Japan, Australia and New Zealand had better perfomances. Do you really wanna see more teams playing all the match for the 0-0 and waiting to be lucky in the final minute?

I like European football... but certainly, this isn't the moment to demand more privileges.

I think Spain will be eliminated today!

Just to have Europe's championship winner gone along with the two last finalists of world cup :lol:

I hope your wish will come true!

The only important European football teams that haven't been eliminated are England and Germany, and one of them will be out on their next match. Portugal and Spain could be out today - although Portugal has it really easy.

Archived