Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSTOUT1221

Athens 2004 article in WSJ

For anyone interested, I came across this article in today's WSJ discussing the 2004 Athens Games and the unused venues..... seriously doubt this will change anything about how the IOC awards host cities considering most cities and nations are willing to sell their souls to get the 'precious' rings!!! Enjoy...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704025304575284841380683082.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_RIGHTInDepthCarousel_2

/\ That already was reprinted here and of course, ignited a whole fir of controversy with the few remaining Greek posters.

Well, 6 years later, we see the results of the little nation's extravagance. Nonetheless, I am hoping to visit next month to save the civilization that is the root of ours!! :D

These pictures are tragic. They are heartbreaking to me personally. The Athens Games were one of the highlights of my life. It is painful to see the site of so many wonderful memories so woefully disused and rundown.

Wow. That is sad. Some of those sites are looking like the war-ravaged '84 winter games venues in Sarajevo. :(

It's all those gypsies and undocumented workers doing it to the Athens venues. That's why Arizona passed the law...so that its future Olympic venues will be protected...ooops, wrong state. I meant to say Oklahoma!! :lol::lol:

It's all those gypsies and undocumented workers doing it to the Athens venues. That's why Arizona passed the law...so that its future Olympic venues will be protected...ooops, wrong state. I meant to say Oklahoma!! :lol::lol:

Well, as long as the gypsies and undocumented workers stay around long enough to build the new venues, all will be fine! Then boot 'em out!!!

Unfortunately it is like this.....I visited OAKA two months ago and I was depressed (if you think how it was in 2004)

In contrary, Olympic tennis centre is in better condition

Unfortunately it is like this.....I visited OAKA two months ago and I was depressed (if you think how it was in 2004)

In contrary, Olympic tennis centre is in better condition

so so so sad to see OAKA look like that now - i have so many great memories of it in the summer of 2004 - it does seem a shaddow of its former self!

i guess the IOC escapes any responsibility or involvement in past ventures. How do they get away with this? And how have they avoided the PR nightmare that this should be? We are still talking about the debacle of Montreal, and no one seems too concerned about this? And still.........the city of Atlanta looks fantastic, but they are attacked constantly.