Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Texas

World Cup vs. Olympic Games: Which is bigger?

I don't think so. FIFA has no issues with attracting nations.

I don't think so. FIFA has no issues with attracting nations.

I guess what I meant is that it sweetens the pot. The prestige AND tourist-dollar-returns are far greater for an Olympics because, as you said, it is a 'destination'-event rather than the WC which is a single-sport-draw rather than a "destination"-event.

The WC is more about the sport and the journey itself. And it's the anticipation that's almost more fun than the tournament itself. Of the 32 countries that do make it to the final, it's all gonna end in heartbreak and misery for all but one of the team's anyway - everyone else is gonna lose painfully and ponder what might-have-been somewhere along the way. And after the end of this week, it'a not even daily ubiquitous action. One thing I remember from past Cups is how fun it is following the daily results and viewing in the group stages, burt then you get to the knock-out rounds and there's progressively less and less to watch and ponder until you get to the final week when all you're concerned about is two teams you may or may not like or follow.

The Olympics clearly is a bigger EVENT. Which one has more interest? Probably still the Olympics, although certain countries obviously would rather see their flag waving at a World Cup Final than over an Olympic medal ceremony.

That said, it's easy to forget that the World Cup is just the final stage of a soccer tournament that's contested over as much as 2 years and that still involve as many counties, if not more, than compete in the Olympics. Obviously many nations have little hope of making the final 32, let alone winning the whole thing.

I think the biggest difference is that the Olympics is all about participation. "The most important thing is not to win but to take part" as De Coubertin once said. That's a lot different from the World Cup where ESPN advertises it as "one game changes everything." They're similar events, but at the same time, 2 very different events.