Group A

To be fair, I was listening to the radio yesterday and couldn't believe the reports coming out of the French camp. Every half hour something new was said. It's one of the most bizarre episodes of this world cup. It's not good for football, but it's been more interesting than a lot of the matches in this tournament so far. And yes, in the interest of keeping harmless football banter alive, it does make it funnier that it's France. I'd say the same if it were Germany or Argentina, and of course I'd be devestated were it happening to England. ;)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, I was listening to the radio yesterday and couldn't believe the reports coming out of the French camp. Every half hour something new was said. It's one of the most bizarre episodes of this world cup. It's not good for football, but it's been more interesting than a lot of the matches in this tournament so far. And yes, in the interest of keeping harmless football banter alive, it does make it funnier that it's France. I'd say the same if it were Germany or Argentina. ;)

Specially Argentina, since they think they are French... biggrin.gif

:blink:France has walked out on it's training session!! Massive internal ructions!! :blink:

Someone with better knowledge on this please please please elaborate!

France's players refused to train on Sunday following Nicolas Anelka's expulsion from the squad for verbally abusing coach Raymond Domenech.

Domenech read out a statement from his squad which said: "The French Football Federation did not at any time try to protect the group.

"To show our opposition to the decision taken [on Anelka], all the players decided not to take part in training."

The French Football Federation's managing director subsequently quit.

Moments before a public training session was about to begin, Domenech had to separate captain Patrice Evra and fitness coach Robert Duverne.

The players then left the pitch and walked towards the bus where they had a meeting with Domenech behind closed curtains.

"I am disgusted, I am quitting my post," FFF managing director Jean-Louis Valentin said immediately after the incident between Evra and Duverne, before driving off in his car.

"It's a scandal for the French, for the federation and the French team.

"They don't want to train. It's unacceptable. As for me, it's over. I'm leaving the federation. I'm sickened and disgusted."

Duverne is understood to have stormed away from an argument with Manchester United left-back Evra, throwing his accreditation badge to the ground....

Link

The statement in full:

"With this statement, all the players in the France squad without exception want to declare their opposition to the decision taken by the French Football Federation to exclude Nicolas Anelka from the squad.

"If we regret the incident which occurred at half-time of the match between France and Mexico, we regret even more the leak of an event which should have remained within the group and which is quite common in a high-level team.

"At the request of the squad, the player in question attempted to have dialogue but his approach was ignored.

"For its part, the French Football Federation has at no time tried to protect the squad.

"It has made a decision (to send Anelka home) without consulting all the players, on the basis of the facts reported by the press.

"Accordingly, and to mark the opposition to those at the highest level of French football, all the players decided not to train today.

"Out of respect for the public who came to attend training, we decided to go to meet the fans who, by their presence, showed their full support.

"For our part, we are aware of our responsibilities as those wearing the colours of our country. Also for those we have towards our fans and countless children who keep Les Bleus as role models.

"We forget none of our duties.

"We will do everything individually and also in a collective spirit to ensure that France regains its honour with a positive performance on Tuesday."

No, now it's a shame :angry:

"If we regret the incident which occurred at half-time of the match between France and Mexico, we regret even more the leak of an event which should have remained within the group and which is quite common in a high-level team.

QUITE COMMON???

HIGH LEVEL TEAM??? WOW!!!!

Very sad

I totally support Anelka and the French team... I mean, you can't try to be a normal team if you have Raymond Domenech as your coach.

And although you have to reproach somebody for insulting his coach... it isn't thaaaat bad especially in a critic situation like the match against Mexico. Anelka should be replaced, ok... but sent home? I think it was extremely harsh and the FFF didn't think the reaction of the rest of the team.

:blink:France has walked out on it's training session!! Massive internal ructions!! :blink:

Someone with better knowledge on this please please please elaborate!

The mantle of world champion internal ructions team has now firmly passed from Holland to France.

:lol:

To make lose its concentration to the opposite team it would be perfect

carlabarcroftmain_459033a.jpg

And at least it would be a more beautiful show than the one which we attend at present

Why stop there?

For striker, Brigette Bardot

apply-sex-kitten-makeup-200X200.jpg

Goalkeeper: Catherine Deneuve

imagen_catherine_deneuve_0102_0.jpg

Team Medic: Sophie Marceau

sophie_marceau_16.jpg

Assistant Coach: Julie delpy

12210168575061.jpg

Never have I wished them more success after this bullying episode.

blink.giflaugh.gif

Michelle, don't be frozen heart!!! Let's be friends, girl!

I'm sure we will have great time!!!

We love France!!! Not in football, but we still love the Louvre, the croissants, peugeots, parfums, abat-jours, "entrepenéurs" , Ratatouille and even the French Guyana!!!

Let's be friends, girl! Don't play the Zidane here! wink.gif

OK, where's Laetitia Casta, Isabelle Adjani, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Juliette Binoche, Roxanne Mesquida, Noemie Lenoir, Anne Perreault in this French staff?

I wondered what L'Equipe would say about this dysfunction that blew up Sunday. Wait, they already have and other people in the French media. Can't wait to read what they all say

I am new to the World Cup.

As I understand it, if Mexico and Paraguay tie, they both advance. Is there a mechanism in place to ensure the match is not rigged? I understand that the final two matches in a group are played concurrently to avoid rigging, but in this case what needs to be done is known in advance.

I am new to the World Cup.

As I understand it, if Mexico and Paraguay tie, they both advance. Is there a mechanism in place to ensure the match is not rigged? I understand that the final two matches in a group are played concurrently to avoid rigging, but in this case what needs to be done is known in advance.

Good question. I think they have to "play" the game as convincingly as they can in FIFA's eyes. Yeah, in a situation like this, the simultaneous play is kinda useless.

FIFA started with simultaneous matches at the final round after the 1982 World Cup. Algeria defeated Chile and was in the second place of the group, over Germany and just behind Austria. The only way they can both qualify was a victory of Germany 1-0 or 2-0. After West Germany scored the first goal at 10', the match "stopped". The fans in the stadium booed and the match ended 1-0; Germany and Austria qualified and Algeria stayed in the first round after defeating Chile and West Germany.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2004/aug/11/theknowledge.sport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZR1s5O2SLY

Of course, today there can still be fixed matches but the chances are quite difficult today. The teams usually know at the time the score of the other match but as they are playing at the same time, the situation could change any minute. For example in the Group H, if Honduras is beating Switzerland, both Chile and Spain qualify to the next round even with a draw... so they might be stop attacking each other and just wait to the end of the match; but if Switzerland scores and draw with Honduras at 85', Spain would have just 5' to score and defeat Chile or will be eliminated and Chile will try to keep the draw or will be eliminated. The idea at the end is that the teams will fight from the beggining of the match in order to avoid this worst escenario.

Besides... you have the situation of the 1st and 2nd place in every group. I'm sure Uruguay and Mexico wanna play against Korea/Greece instead of Argentina in the second round. So I don't think the match between them will be "fixed" in any way... in fact, probably will be very interesting.

Didn't backpassing become a thecnical infregement because of that infamous Germany-Austria game?

Well, upon further research evidently not, since it was introduced in 1992... Anyway, Uruguay wins the group, Mexico second and South Africa sadly makes history...

Oh, at least this result sets up a rematch to the great Mexico-Argentina round of 16 game from Germany 2006.

An historical footnote: SA has been to three world cups and has finished 3rd in there group each time (17th overall in 2002 and 24th in 1998).

Archived