Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gotosy

Group A

Not a great match, but nowhere near as bad as Ukraine - Switzerland last world cup - Worst match I've ever sat through!

At least the penalties for that match where dramatic. Its the only time I ever remember seeing more misses that goals...

Lol that episode expresses exactly what i felt for the first day of this WC :lol:

South Africa had its chance but they blew it at last minute, thus giving a chance for Mexico to match their score. France - Uruguay was so boring i almost felt asleep (although i have to admit, France had more chances to score than the south americans)

^^ Oh it's YOU Michelle. I don't know what I started with this sweepstake, everyone's changed their names :lol:

Fifa have rejected a request from France to replace injured goalkeeper Cedric Carrasso at the World Cup.

The Bordeaux keeper, 28, tore his left hamstring during training on Monday and is expected to be out for a month.

Players cannot be replaced once the tournament has begun but France had asked Fifa for special dispensation.

In a statement, Fifa revealed they turned down the request as they "considered the situation not to be a case of force majeure."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8744168.stm

Like it matters, Lloris will be playing the entire tournament.

Goal for Uruguay... They lead South Africa 1-0. It was a brilliant goal.

^^ Oh it's YOU Michelle. I don't know what I started with this sweepstake, everyone's changed their names :lol:

The best part of the sweepstake! Loved all nicks, except mine (I'm not been that creative lately)

I feel sorry for him because it wasn't nasty, but he got nowhere near the ball, and denied an obvious goalscoring opportunity with the foul. That's a red card offence, it's as simple as that.

"A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off and shown the red card if he commits any of the following seven offences: [...] 4. denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area); 5. denies an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick."

--------------------------

0-3 now and Full Time. Can't see the hosts getting out of this group now, which is a shame.

Sad for Bafana Bafana. But Uruguay is always Uruguay...

Well. Uruguay is virtually on round of 16 and Bafana Bafana is virtually out...

Once again, Uruguay ruins the party for the host teams :lol:(just like they did to Peru and Venezuela on the two previous America Cup) I feel bad for SA, as now i find very hard for them to pass to the second stage (something which never happened to a host team since long time ago).

Once again, Uruguay ruins the party for the host teams :lol:

to not talk about 1950 World Cup... Damn Uruguay!

@ Brazilians,

I have a strange question - how is the relationship between Brazil and Uruguay? I mean is there a hate-love between the two states or is Brazil "aware" of the "small" country in the south anyhow?

Which country? That tiny Argentinean province? :lol: :lol:

Good for the charrúas! Not a fan of their game, but Uruguay is such an amazing country and people... so good for them. Sad for the Bafana Bafana, but it was almost what everyone was expecting... Now, please France defeat the Mexicans!!!

@ Brazilians,

I have a strange question - how is the relationship between Brazil and Uruguay? I mean is there a hate-love between the two states or is Brazil "aware" of the "small" country in the south anyhow?

Their independence was bought from Brazil. It was peacefull and they are there since then. No Brazilian complain about this...

About country relations, there is no big issues the whole Uruguay is smaller than our biggest cities in terms of population, so they really doesn't matter for us at all.

We appreciate their meat, to visit Punta del Este and there is not much to care about Uruguay..

They seems to have respect to their "giant north neighbour" as their newspaper loves to say...

I went to Uruguay last year and loved the country. They were great with me. Indeed, they really try to speak Portuguese.

It's small, it's a little bit charming, and somehow it's a little bit retro.

In football, our greatest loss was to Uruguay in 1950, but since then Brazil become the biggest country in World Cup. Somehow, Uruguay woke up the giant.

And thanks to this loss, we changed our jerseys from white to yellow.

The little countries (NZ, Suisse, Uruguay) are doing a good job on the biggies!! Go Tuvalu!! Go San Marino!! Go Vatican!! :lol:

Vatican! LOL

Maybe they can host the WC someday.

I can imagine the final match between Brazil vs. Vatican in Karol Voytila Memorial Stadium!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

The problem to play against Vatican is that they can do miracles during the match!

Kratk,

do you think that there is still an interest to reestablish a country like the "Provincias Unidas del Río de la Plata"?

I think Chileans wants to erase any of the Rio de la Plata countries!!! Brazilians too... LOL