Group A

What a polite man Domenech is...

After the game Bafana's coach Parreira tryed to shake Domenech hands and Domenech didn't want to.

Here's the video.

http://globoesporte....eliminacao.html

France deserved to be eliminated.

Au revóir, arrogants.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pathetic campaign from the start of the first match to the final whilsle of the last.

I had a feeling my prediction of France finishing second in their group was a risky one. I didn't think for a second, however, I'd have overestimated their final position.

As much as it's been quite entertaining on the one hand I do feel genuinly sorry for the French fans, especially those who would have paid thousands to be in South Africa this summer. It's one thing going out because your team has played rubbish (a fate which may befall England tomorrow), but quite another to go out in the way France have. The former is unfortunate and happens in football, the latter is really, really unfair on the fans.

Not all France - just Domenech.

Hmmmm, all the team deserved, they made French people not proud, specially Anelka, Henry and Domenech...

A team must be united to win something. It's sad what happened to France, but I'm sure they will be playing the WC again in 2014 with a better and more polite team.

BTW Brazil is having some problems too that is not good for the team and for the goal of being World Champions.

I hope things in Brazilian team, specially, with coach Dunga be more quieter in the next days.

A real war have been declared between him and the media.

This is not not not good.

It is indeed sad for Les Bleues fans. Surely they deserved much better than this, which goes without saying. But good for Irish as they could look at all this as karmic justice for that Thierry Henry handball in the playoff qualifier; I'd like to see them replace Italy instead in South Africa. They're even worse than the 2002 team, which can be attributed to an earlier WC schedule to avoid the monsoon season and the players couldn't rest effectively leading up to it. But that team couldn't score a goal (if only that David Trezeguet goal went in against Senegal) then. Zidane wasn't fully fit.

Les Bleues better hope fans won't get violent when they arrive back home even with heavy police security for greatly enraging them. The media will continue to scathe, meanwhile.

Pity the South Africans. They made history of the wrong kind in the World Cup (and finished third again as Fox points out), but not only was that expected, that's also a reflection on the state of South African soccer. More on that later.

I suppose it could have been worse, so we are thankful it has now ended. We came back well, with 10 men, to hault the South African charge. The sending off was another humiliating refereeing decisions... Fifa really should sort out their officials.

Anyway, the coach is now leaving and France can build... nothing would be sweeter than lifting the World Cup in Brazil in 2014 - which I suspect they will.

The English speaking press have, continuosly, attacked this French team - which hasn't helped. Obviously, our own media has been hard too, but for some press in England to gloat has been distasteful - esp considering their national team played appallingly the other night. One thinks they should look closer to home before attacking... mmm just a thought.

Personally, I hope to see England progress. Though I don't see them winning. Probably a South American country this year... possibly Argentina or Chile.

I guess I can go back to enjoying my holiday now. Peace out.

The English speaking press have, continuosly, attacked this French team - which hasn't helped. Obviously, our own media has been hard too, but for some press in England to gloat has been distasteful - esp considering their national team played appallingly the other night. One thinks they should look closer to home before attacking... mmm just a thought.

I'm no lover of our press a lot of the time but trust me, they've been very harsh on England too. But mainly for their performances. A lot of the reporting on what's going on inside the England camp has been speculation and from unnamed "sources".

On the other hand, when you have players rebelling, dressing room bust-ups, team statements on reasons for striking, the French sports minister getting involved, a player getting sent home, sponsorships being lost as well as poor performances, the press don't need to do a lot of work. The story just needs to be written.

The gloating isn't nice, but it's hardly unexpected, especailly given the hoo-har over how the team qualified. I didn't think the French would take much notice of English media anyway. ;)

I don't think England will win either for what it's worth. I can very easily see us leaving tomorrow. I think there is a collective feeling though that at least England won't provide the biggest 'shock' story of this world cup, and I guess that's manifested itself as gloating in some parts of the press.

Enjoy the rest of you holiday, hope the weather's staying good for you. B)

What a polite man Domenech is...

After the game Bafana's coach Parreira tryed to shake Domenech hands and Domenech didn't want to.

Here's the video.

http://globoesporte....eliminacao.html

Seems only to be accessible in South America.

Here's a video on YouTube:

SA will probably be disappointed that they didn't advance, but hey, they just beat France!

well, it's been a cumulative spate of bad French football behavior on the int'l scene:

- the head butt by ZZ 4 years ago

- T. Henry's handball vs. Ireland which got them thru

- their tearing each other apart this time

- Domenech's boorish behavior toward the RSA coach.

It's all KARMA...and it's all come back to bite them in the butt. What goes around; comes around.

For me, this was the best thing to happen. What did you expected from a team who had a replacement for Domenech, even before the WC started? It was best being eliminated now than making more ridiculous scenes than the ones we've seen on the past days. I hope that, with this failure, the french federation learns from all the mistakes and work harder to revive Les Bleus reputation.

I feel bad for South Africa, though, but at least they finished with a victory, which is better than nothing.

South Africa was so close!!!! :( They needed just two more goals after the first half...

And about the French team... I usually support them, but I have to say that I wanted them to leave France in the most humilliating way. I also feel sorry for the French fans, but you have to admit that the team, the coach, the federation and everyone surrounded them have been WRONG for the past four years at least.

I just hope this could be used as a rebirth of Les Bleues!

PS: Domenech, what an asshole... his behaviour only makes me feel happier for the elimination of France.

:angry: I'm just disgusted at the Frence Coach refusing to shake the hand of the South African Coach at the end...

...get stood on France, just wait till you get here next year... :angry:

I suppose it could have been worse, so we are thankful it has now ended. We came back well, with 10 men, to hault the South African charge. The sending off was another humiliating refereeing decisions... Fifa really should sort out their officials.

Anyway, the coach is now leaving and France can build... nothing would be sweeter than lifting the World Cup in Brazil in 2014 - which I suspect they will.

Personally, I hope to see England progress. Though I don't see them winning. Probably a South American country this year... possibly Argentina or Chile.

I guess I can go back to enjoying my holiday now. Peace out.

Michelle I agree that the press has been harsh on the French team but it isn't limited to the English press. The French press was very harsh on Evra and the others in standing up to the FFF and the baffon of a coach. If I had been a French player I would have had to ask serious questions about why I choose to play for a federation that does not stand up to a coach they've saw fit to dismiss.

France has talent and lots of it but the coaching was not there. There was no leader on the pitch to rally around. You can't replace Zidane but there should have been someone standing up and taking leadership of this team.

Les Bleus return home under heavy security

LE BOURGET France (Reuters) - France's team returned to Paris under heavy police protection on Thursday after their humiliating first-round exit from the World Cup.

The plane chartered by the French Federation landed at Le Bourget business airport, 20 km north of Paris, after a 15-hour flight from South Africa.

A smattering of supporters were kept at a distance and dozens of photographers, cameramen and journalists were penned behind a wire fence.

Some of the players went straight into two coaches with darkened windows which left the airport through a back entrance.

Witnesses said the Olympique Lyon players and Franck Ribery flew out on in two private planes without going through the terminal.

Team captain Thierry Henry is expected later at the Elysee Palace for a meeting with President Nicolas Sarkozy, a government spokesman said.

Reuters

Don't meddle in soccer, FIFA tells French officials

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - FIFA warned French politicians on Saturday to beware of meddling in the running of soccer amid national soul-searching and high-level meetings over the traumatic exit of Les Bleus from the World Cup.

"I spoke to the sports minister's office and told them to be very careful," FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke said.

"There is an autonomy of the sporting movement, and there can't be any political interference in what's happened."

Just like FIFA interventions in countries such as Kenya or Iraq, there would be no special status for France if it came to that, Valcke said.

"It is not because it's a European country that we should have a different approach," he said. "They can meet, they can discuss, they can find ways to make sure that this will not happen, they can ask for apologies from the different people involved. But any time there is interference, FIFA will react."

Valcke later told Reuters Sarkozy's meeting with Henry and other high-level contacts over the French soccer fiasco were an understandable reflection of the national trauma.

"It's the French way of dealing with a situation somewhere, if I may say so," he said.

"Maybe the world took it as a bad joke. In France, it was not a bad joke, it was a sad story and a lot of people in France have the feeling that they have been cheated by these players."

Officials should, however, know where to draw the line, he added.

"Our politicians are clever enough. It's one of the countries of diplomacy, France, where I am sure they will understand and they know where they can go and what they have to avoid doing."

full story:

http://ca.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idCATRE65P18120100626?sp=true

Archived