Group A

France lost 1-0 to China in its final warmup match before the start of the World Cup in South Africa.

Deng Zhuo Xiang scored the winning goal in the 68th minute with a swerving free kick from 25 yards.

The result dealt a blow to France's confidence as the 2006 World Cup finalist has conceded a goal in each of its last three friendlies while scoring just twice.

France drew 1-1 with Tunisia last weekend and beat Costa-Rica 2-1 last month. It will open its World Cup campaign against Uruguay on June 11, before taking on Mexico and host South Africa in Group A.

AP(CP)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mexico President Felipe Calderon To Attend Mexico-South Africa

Jun 8, 2010 1:38:00 PM

Mexico President Felipe Calderon will attend Mexico's match against host South Africa on Friday, the Mexican Football Federation announced.

President Calderon was invited to attend the tournament's opening match by South African President Jacob Zuma. While there, President Calderon will also participate in talks with his South African counterpart. According to the FMF, President Calderon will try and build a strong relationship with South Africa that will allow both nations to share resources. The visit will be President Calderon's first to South Africa.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/67/world-cup/2010/06/08/1965486/mexico-president-felipe-calderon-to-attend-mexico-south

Fans start arriving at Soccer City

Vuvuzela-blowing fans, decked out in their Bafana Bafana kit, started streaming into Soccer City from early on Friday morning for this afternoon's historic World Cup opening Group A clash between the host nation and Mexico. The match will kick-off at 4 pm (local time)

http://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/soccer/article499963.ece/Fans-start-arriving-at-Soccer-City

Mexico really should have had that won by half-time. Amazing that it ended in a draw, but all credit to S.A.

A bad attack vs a bad defence at one end, and a good counter-attack vs a reasonable defence at the other.

If France find some form and Forlan has his scoring boots on, both France and Uruguay could beat these two teams.

If France find some form and Forlan has his scoring boots on, both France and Uruguay could beat these two teams.

Yep. But they also might be surprised by them.

This seems to be the most balanced group of this World Cup. I´m really curious about how they will perform today. After these two games we can have a better idea who´s more likely to qualify.

I´m puttin my bets on a very close chart. With lots of draws and Mexico finishing first with 5 points, S.A. and France tie with 4 points (S.A. qualify in goal scoring) and Uruguay with 2. I´m taking into account that in last 5 WC Mexico/home teams always qualified for the knockout stages.

An open group certainly, but South Africa can't hope to get out of it if they play like that again. They got a good draw and didn't give up, but normally if you invite pressure to the extent they did you're going to lose.

I couldn't watch a lot of the RSA/MEX but I was impressed with the South Africans... I was expecting a very weak team overwhelmed by El Tri... but it was almost the opposite. Both weren't good teams but RSA was much better than I expected.

I watched the game at the university and everyone there (~200 app.) where cheering for the Bafana Bafana... I really don't like Mexican football and losing against SA would have been awesome.

Now, I'm watching Uruguay vs. France... entertaining match but not really the quality expected to two former WC champions. Anyway, I think they should qualify in this group...

OK, I'm done with this match... at first, it was fun to see them going from one side to another... but more than 60 minutes doing the same without any idea of an elaborated strategy to score is just dissapointing. And that amount of fouls... most of them plain stupid.

Domenech, I hate you... it's official.

Bafana Bafana really had that game won were it not for the missed goal attempt that hit the post. Still, a good result for them, especially with France and Uruguay having tied scoreless. I hope both France and South Africa make it out of Group A, though it may come down to the South Africa-France match.

Archived