Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gotosy

Group B

Argentina final 23-man squad

Goalkeepers: Mariano Andujar (Catania), Diego Pozo (Colon), Sergio Romero (AZ Alkmaar)

Defenders: Nicolas Burdisso (AS Roma), Martin Demichelis (Bayern Munich), Ariel Garce (Colon), Gabriel Heinze (Marseille), Nicolas Otamendi (Velez Sarsfield), Clemente Rodriguez (Estudiantes), Walter Samuel (Inter Milan)

Midfielders: Mario Bolatti (Fiorentina), Angel Di Maria (Benfica), Jonas Gutierrez (Newcastle), Javier Mascherano (Liverpool), Javier Pastore (Palermo), Maxi Rodriguez (Liverpool), Juan Sebastian Veron (Estudiantes)

Forwards: Sergio Aguero (Atletico Madrid), Gonzalo Higuain (Real Madrid), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Diego Milito (Inter Milan), Martin Palermo (Boca Juniors), Carlos Tevez (Manchester City)

AP

Intriguing group; normally you'd have to say that Argentina would be a moral to top this group and go through with no dramas. But when you have Maradona involved anything could happen, and at least he won't be acting as a moderating or cohesive influence on his team. Nigeria aren't the team they used to be, whilst South Korea are possibly the best team in Asia (I know, goes against my grain to say that with the Socceroos in mind but the Koreans knocked us off 3-1 at our last head to head). I don't expect Greece to go further than the group stage, so with that in mind I'd say it'll be Argentina and South Korea to get through to the final 16 from Group B

I would love to see Argentina not going through... but I don't see Greece, Nigeria and South Korea as a real competition to defeat them, even with Maradona as coach. For the other team, I think it will be between Nigeria and South Korea...

I would love to see Argentina not going through... but I don't see Greece, Nigeria and South Korea as a real competition to defeat them, even with Maradona as coach. For the other team, I think it will be between Nigeria and South Korea...

Nigeria and South Korea my bet.

I will never bet on those Argentines...

S.Africa to deport 11th Argentine soccer hooligan

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - South African police caught another Argentine soccer hooligan trying to sneak into country on Wednesday, bringing to 11 the number of known Argentine agitators on a no-entry blacklist to be deported.

The man was refused entry after arriving on a flight from Sao Paulo, just two days before the start of the first World Cup finals on the African continent.

On Sunday, police arrested 10 known members of the "Barrabravas" gang who were on the blacklist for the tournament.

Police said the list is made up of people it believes "would commit acts of public disorder, engage in acts of violence and provoke conflict with certain fans of opponent teams."

The men were part of a group of 80 supporters who travelled from South America to Johannesburg through Angola. At least two of the men were Barrabravas leaders and the third was out on bail for murder.

South African police have little experience with massive soccer hooliganism, which has not been a part of domestic games, and have been cooperating with foreign intelligence and police agencies to prevent potential trouble-makers from coming into the country.

Reuters

a good game so far (for koreans)

The Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium is also beautiful, but I see some empty seats

I think it's more than that, but ther are quite a lot of empty seats. Not a bad game. Korea are a nippy side who can score goals. I think, on this performance, it's between them and Nigeria for the second spot in the group, assuming Argentina win it. Greece look unlikely to get to the last 16.

Just read this:

"31,500 attendance, 17,000 free seats

Hardest fixture to sell tickets for apparently"

That's not too bad, if this is indeed the emptiest stadium we're going to see.

Hard to believe there was only one goal in the first half...

Beautiful up front, a little shaky in defence. I can see Nigeria scoring, but I can also see Argentina getting at least two more.

I don't think this Argentina team are unbeatable, but they should get to the quarters without too much trouble.

Group should be easy for Argenina. Korea to be in second - they might even beat Maradona's men!

Man of the match, Nigeria's 'keeper.

I tipped Argentina to win the tournament. I'm beginning to wish I hadn't, because better teams than Nigeria will hurt them badly if they tire like they did in the second half again.

I tipped Argentina to win the tournament. I'm beginning to wish I hadn't, because better teams than Nigeria will hurt them badly if they tire like they did in the second half again.

I was on the Argentina bandwagon for awhile, but calmer and more calculated minds prevailed. Though I still think they have a good chance. Argentina should have won by at least 3-0.

Why did the Argintina coach have such a fancy suit on? Looks a little pimpy...I think I saw another place where he had many diamond earings in too.