Group G

Exactly. Do we think this ball is affecting things? I mean, at every tournament you seem to hear players complaining about the new ball, but this one seems to have caused more complaints than any other.

And, not that I want to take anything away from their performace, do we think Germany had a little advantage over other teams, having played with the Jabulani in their domestic leage for sixth months, one of the only leagues to have done so?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And, not that I want to take anything away from their performace, do we think Germany had a little advantage over other teams, having played with the Jabulani in their domestic leage for sixth months, one of the only leagues to have done so?

... then all player of the other participating countries, who play in the Bundesliga, too, would have the same "advantage"...

Exactly. Do we think this ball is affecting things? I mean, at every tournament you seem to hear players complaining about the new ball, but this one seems to have caused more complaints than any other.

But I've heard the problem with Jabulani is that it's too fast and too light so the goalkeepers have a lot of problems. I guess that with Jabulani there should be more goals instead of less...

Well, it isn't light; that's the bizarre thing becuase so many have said it is!! It may feel light for players, possibly because of the materials used, but it's actually at the heavy end of the range of weights an official FIFA ball can be.

It's certainly fast though.

Quite possibly. But I would imagine the German team has a few more Bundesliga players than most other teams. :P

here is an overview of all Bundesliga players at the WC 2010:

Hier alle vorläufigen Bundesligaspieler nach WM-Gruppen sortiert.

Gruppe A

Südafrika (Rowen Fernandez/Arminia Bielefeld)

Mexiko (Ricardo Osorio/VfB Stuttgart)

Uruguay -

Frankreich (Franck Ribery/FC Bayern München)

Gruppe B

Argentinien (Martin Demichelis/FC Bayern München)

Nigeria 2 (Obafemi Martins/VfL Wolfsburg, Chinedu Obasi/1899 Hoffenheim)

Südkorea (Cha Du-Ri/SC Freiburg)

Griechenland 2 (Theofanis Gekas/Hertha BSC, Angelos Charisteas/1. FC Nürnberg)

Gruppe C

England -

USA 3 (Steve Cherundolo/Hannover 96, Michael Bradley/Borussia Mönchengladbach, Ricardo Clark/Eintracht Frankfurt)

Algerien 4 (Chadli Amri/FSV Mainz 05), Anthar Yahia/VfL Bochum, Karim Ziani/VfL Wolfsburg, Karim Matmour/Borussia Mönchengladbach)

Slowenien 4 (Miso Brecko/1. FCKöln, Matej Mavric/TuS Koblenz, Zlatko Dedic/VfL Bochum, Milivoje Novakovic/1. FC Köln)

Gruppe D

Deutschland: most

Australien (Dario Vidosic/MSV Duisburg)

Serbien 5 (Antonio Rukavina/1860 München, Neven Subotic/Borussia Dortmund, Gojko Kacar/Hertha BSC, Zdravko Kuzmanovic/VfB Stuttgart, Zoran Tosic/1. FC Köln)

Ghana 3 (Isaac Vorsah, Prince Tagoe/beide 1899 Hoffenheim, Hans Sarpei/Bayer Leverkusen)

Gruppe E

Niederlande 5 (Khalid Boulahrouz/VfB Stuttgart, Joris Mathijsen/Hamburger SV, Mark van Bommel/FC Bayern München, Eljero Elia/Hamburger SV, Arjen Robben/FC Bayern München)

Dänemark 3 (Daniel Jensen/Werder Bremen, Thomas Kahlenberg/VfL Wolfsburg, Sören Larsen/MSV Duisburg)

Japan (Makoto Hasebe/VfL Wolfsburg)

Kamerun 5 (Marcel Ndjeng/FC Augsburg, Georges Mandjeck/1. FC Kaiserslautern, Joel Matip/FC Schalke 04, Eric-Maxim Chuopo Moting/1. FC Nürnberg, Mohamadou Idrissou/SC Freiburg)

Gruppe F

Italien -

Paraguay 3 (Lucas Barrios, Nelson Valdez/beide Borussia Dortmund, Jonathan Santana/VfL Wolfsburg)

Neuseeland -

Slowakei 6 (Jan Durica/Hannover 96, Peter Pekarik/VfL Wolfsburg, Radoslav Zabavnik, Miroslav Kahan/beide FSV Mainz 05, Stanislav Sestak/VfL Bochum, Erik Jendrisek/1. FC Kaiserslautern)

Gruppe G

Brasilien 3 (Josua, Grafite/beide VfL Wolfsburg, Carlos Eduardo/1899 Hoffenheim)

Nordkorea -

Elfenbeinküste 2 (Arthur Boka/VfB Stuttgart, Guy Demel/Hamburger SV)

Portugal (Hugo Almeida/Werder Bremen)

Gruppe H

Spanien -

Schweiz 9 (Diego Benaglio/VfL Wolfsburg, Steve von Bergen/Hertha BSC, Mario Eggimann/Hannover 96, Christoph Spycher, Pirmin Schwegler/beide Eintracht Frankfurt, Tranquillo Barnetta, Eren Derdiyok/beide Bayer Leverkusen, Albert Bunjaku/1. FC Nürnberg, Fabian Lustenberger/Hertha BSC)

Honduras -

Chile1 (Arturo Vidal/Bayer Leverkusen)

Its not the ball, its the players. There is a collective lack of quality play. Only two or three teams I have seen have played up to their potential (Germany, Korea and possibly Paraguay).

I think we have some high scoring games to come. Chile-Honduras, Spain-Switzerland, Portugal-Cote d'Ivoire, Brazil-Korea DPR all have the possibilities of being high scoring. I could easily see Chile, Spain and Brazil scoring 3+ goals.

Though it will take a lot of goals to catch up to Germany's 39 goals in the first round of the group stage last time. 23 goals in 5 games will be a lot to ask.

Germany

Group Stage Round One - 39

Group Stage Round Two - 36

Group Stage Round Three - 42

Round of 16 - 15

Quarter-Finals - 6

Semi-Finals - 3

Finals - 6

Every team is using the same ball - so it shouldn't make a difference.

If we can call Jabulani a ball... LOL

Just kidding

I agree, there is no excuses, it's the same ball for all teams.

Ha, if people are complaining about Jabulani now, wait until the final when Jo'bulani makes its debut! :P

I wonder what Adidas will make for the 2014 World Cup. Perhaps name it "Samba" to honor the all time classic "Tango"? XD

Every team is using the same ball - so it shouldn't make a difference.

And the football most teams have played has dissapointed with overhit shots, overhit passes, skied shots etc.

I'm not saying I think it's the ball (I think altitude probably has been a greater factor), but a lot of people, and players are critical of it. It could very easily just be a good excuse, but then again there may be something in it. Who knows? That's why I brought it up.

Yeah they have absolutely nothing to loose in that match and they have two almost equally hard match to play agaisnt Ivory Coast & Portugal so they should play the win against Brazil!

At least it will be nice to see a team that have close to zero hope of reaching the final or even the semi to play the game instead of having 11 men behind against a big team.

Drogba Cleared to Play With Cast in Ivory Coast World Cup Opener

June 15 (Bloomberg) -- Ivory Coast captain Didier Drogba was cleared by FIFA to play with a protective cast on his arm in his team’s soccer World Cup opener against Portugal today.

FIFA spokesman Nicolas Maingot told reporters in Johannesburg that match referee Jorge Larrionda and Portuguese officials had examined the cast and were satisfied that it doesn’t pose a danger to other players.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601116&sid=aUT7pwCS0y.U

Rio 2016 and BOC send encouragement message to the Brazilian Team

On the eve of the Brazilian debut in the World Cup, the Rio 2016 Olympic Games Organizing Committee and the Brazilian Olympic Committee (BOC) send messages of support and encouragement to the athletes and the technical commission of the Brazilian Football Team that start their way in the South Africa World Cup this Tuesday 15th, against North Korea. The messages, signed by BOC and Rio 2016 Committee president, Carlos Arthur Nuzman, were addressed to the Brazilian Football Confederation (BFC) president, Ricardo Teixeira; to the head of the Brazilian delegation, Andrés Sanchez, and the coach Dunga.

“The effort, dedication and professionalism shown by each athlete and member of the Technical Commission during the Cup Eliminatory campaign, as also in the 2007 America Cup and the 2009 Confederations Cup, give us the certainty that the Brazilian Team will fight to accomplish the world 6th championship”, states Nuzman.

The BOC and the Rio 2016 Organizing Committee join the Brazilian Team supporters, sure of a beautiful participation on the South African fields. “ We are hoping for a victory over North Korea, to start our participation in the World Cup with excellence and go for the next challenges with confidence”, completes BOC and Rio 2016 president.

http://www.rio2016.org.br/en/Noticias/Noticia.aspx?idConteudo=1189

portugal weren't all that. i'm confident my ivory c. will sneak into the next round behind brazil.

I'll tell you what Krow, goal difference is going to be crucial now. What that means is if a team is 3-0 up against North Korea, they won't sit back, they'll keep trying to score more. A draw in the Portugal - Ivory Coast match was the best thing that could have happened for this group, and the worst thing for the North Koreans.

Archived