• Hobart
    • Adelaide
    • Perth
    • Carins
    • Dawin
    • Sydney
    • Newcastle
    • OTHER...

:rolleyes: Since the 'Joke' attempt about Hobart hosting the 2020 OSGs has simmered down. A positive came out of it...The next CWG host for Australia after Gold Coast? Considering the total lack of serious interest outside Australia and the UK to host this event...Australia could end up hosting on a VERY regular twelve year cycle even as early as 2026 :unsure:

Could Hobart be up for this with help from Launceston? And what about the other main centres. If Gold Coast can do it, will this encourage the "second tier" sizable main centres to give it a go? A few choices above including a couple of majors, - if you chose OTHER, please post.

Simmered down? It's only rising, it'll simmer down when bluntly rejected by the AOC and not failure to apply for the 2020 Olympics.

It could potentially host a Commonwealth Games, which is much smaller in scale than an Olympics.

I can see Darwin as a Commonwealth Games host, using it's Marrara Sports Complex as the centerpiece. Building a new or upgrading the existing Marrara stadium, as the main athletics stadium in a 40,000+ seater capacity, to be used as the home venue of a Darwin based AFL franchise post games.

Doesn't really matter. We will be a Republic by then :P

Just because we decide to become a Republic, doesn't mean we can't participate in the Commonwealth and the Commonwealth Games.

Why mostly half of the Commonwealth nations are republics! Why Malaysia, host of the 1998 games is a Monarchy under it's own ruler, not the Queen of England.

Just because we decide to become a Republic, doesn't mean we can't participate in the Commonwealth and the Commonwealth Games.

Why mostly half of the Commonwealth nations are republics! Why Malaysia, host of the 1998 games is a Monarchy under it's own ruler, not the Queen of England.

I was not aware of that. Oh well. The only reason I like the Comm Games is because we dominate them. Not muh of a sporting event.

As mentioned in the Olympics bid Tasmania already has a significant number of world class venues - hockey, aquatics, cycling, for just a few main examples.. but where we really shine is natural venues - rowing, kayaking, sailing, mountain biking, and so on.

The only issue is rectangular stadiums for football/rugby 7s - we don't really have any of note - but the Tasmanian government has nominated two training venue locations to the fed government for the 2018/2022 World Cup bid - so if we are successful in that hopefully the two venues are new ones which will be built!

As mentioned in the Olympics bid Tasmania already has a significant number of world class venues - hockey, aquatics, cycling, for just a few main examples.. but where we really shine is natural venues - rowing, kayaking, sailing, mountain biking, and so on.

The only issue is rectangular stadiums for football/rugby 7s - we don't really have any of note - but the Tasmanian government has nominated two training venue locations to the fed government for the 2018/2022 World Cup bid - so if we are successful in that hopefully the two venues are new ones which will be built!

Having competed on Lake Barrington, I have to say it would be a great rowing venue, similar to Lucerne due to its natural beauty. Problem being that there is such an extreme vary in conditions. Good conditions records get smashed, bad conditions, races abandoned and people sink :lol:

I can't see it coming back to Oz for a long while after GC 2018 (c'mon, Hamburglar really can't be rated even an outside chance for 2018 at all). I don't accept the 2018 race is a sign of declining desire from other bidders - rather GC was gifted the games by Nigeria when everyone else was spooked by the notion that Abuja would be a front-runner. If GC was going up against Auckland or just about anywhere in Canada (or South Africa) the (non)-race would be totally different.

I reckon the two "G" hostings, Glasgow and Gold Coast, will show the CWGs can be scaled appropriately to suit the city hosting and there'll be certainly games in Africa, Asia, Canada, NZ and the UK Home Countries before it hits Oz again. And by the time we hit the late 2030s and 2040s, it's anybody's guess who'll bring them back here - just about everyone mentioned in the poll above could do it. It'll all come down to desire at the time.

Personally, I'd like to see Adelaide, Canberra or Hobart succeed, if only to spread the major hostings joy around the nation.

I lived in Hobart a few years back and it's the best place I have ever lived in. I am all for seeing the Olympics there in 2020 as it would literally change the entire face of the city and the state of Tasmania

Having said that, I think that a failed bid could generate interest in a Commonwealth Games bid for the future, and I think Hobart is more deserving than Adelaide and especially more so than places like Sydney and Perth.

If Hobart had trouble maybe it could share a bid with Adelaide?

Give it to Adelaide, then say 'that's all folks'. The CGs are becoming more and more redundant as an international sporting event and frankly when a games relies on teams from Norfolk Islands, Isle of Man and even non-commonwealth countries like Mozambique to pump up the numbers it's become a farce.

Unless you live in host cities such as Melbourne, Manchester, Edmonton etc the CGs and hence have a biased opinion it's patently clear that the hey-day of the CGs has passed a long time ago. They meant something in the years between 1948 and 1974, but since then the world has moved on with more important events and a growth in the strength of non-Commonwealth sporting countries.

Either it'll slowly die as a redundant sporting contest on a crowded international program, or powerhouses such as England, Australia and Canada go somewhere else giving emerging and smaller countries the chance for their own mini 'Jeux d'Etats Petite d'Commonwealth' :P

Archived