daveypodmores sig's: a retrospective

exhibitionpostermain.jpg

Who is daveypodmore?

Born in a small town in Staffordshire in the seventies to the people that would turn out to be his parents. Daveypodmore hit the ground running. Crayons were his medium of choice and after decorating his living room for his mum, he moved onto a larger work in the hall stairs and landing. A piece he called 'Alien Attack' but his mum called "What the f**k!' and "Take them bleeding crayons off him before I kill him'. This initial bad reaction from the critics only motivated him do do bigger and better works. The most important of these 'Happy' can still be seen at his grandparents as no matter how many coats of paint his grandad applied, this stunning work still seeps through, much to the unhappiness of its current owners, Mr & Mrs Jones who chose not to comment on the piece as it was "with their lawyers".

At first school his talent was spotted early when he moved to paints. Using Brian Andrews as a moving canvas daveypodmore bought his work to a new audience. Most noticeably Mrs Andrews who said of the artwork "How am I gonna get that out?" Daveypodmore leant early he would have to suffer for his art, with no tea and no playing out for a week it was worth it while, as in solitude in his room he planned his most ambitious project. 'Painting the town red', a work that brought a tear to the eye of many of the residents of Eastwood Avenue. Daveypodmore and his family left shortly afterwards, under cover of darkness with no goodbyes.

At art college somewhere in the midlands daveypodmore experimented with Graphic Design as his chosen field, as none of the other courses would touch him with a barge pole and his mum told him she wouldn't be responsible for her actions if he didn't get his lazy arse out of bed. It was while at this college that daveypodmore had the sudden realisation he was allowed to use crayons, paints, computers. And as he felt the world needed to be 'coloured in a bit', he thought he was the man for the job. Years later he was gobsmacked to discover he even gets paid to do it too.

Daveypodmore's current project is to bring the London 2012 branding to life in a way that the people at London 2012 hadn't quite done yet. And so the 'Gamesbids Signature Series' was started. An on going work that will end in 2012 and the opening of London's games and a well deserved holiday for daveypodmore, although not in Staffordshire as he has been asked not to go back.

We hope you enjoy the collection of works of Stamfords second best Gaphic Designer.

signaturetq.jpg

1: To celebrate the Beijing handover

timelinev.jpg

2: To show the decade of British sport ahead

3yearstogosiglores.jpg

3: To mark the 3 years to go for the London games

1000daystogoflatsmall.jpg

4: For the 1000 day countdown

minisig.jpg

5: To mark BMW becoming an Olympic partner

bandsigflatsmall.jpg

6: A taster as to a London 2012 supergroup for the opening ceremony

goodlucksigsmall.jpg

7: For the opening of the Vancouver games

thankusmall.jpg

8: To mark the end of the Vancouver games

sexpistolssigsmall.jpg

9: To mark the death of the man that helped create punk

breakfast.jpg

10: A full English breakfast gets a 2012 make over

imascot.jpg

11: To mark the launch of the London mascots

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:)

very nice sig's, davey!!

I suppose we can find davey somewhere in this sig:

1000daystogoflatsmall.jpg

Yes Im the one in the trunks : )

I just realised I missed one off! ooh heck I dont know where that one went I will have to root it out

Davey I love the "good luck Vancouver one". I don't think I saw that one as I was out in Vancouver or just too busy packing.

My fave you missed off though! Where is the Torch Relay one with your cool Olympic Stadium graphic?

Seriously - well done. They all look great and it's something a little different and a little special you've brought to the London 2012 Gamesbids Forums. You really are very talented.

Best thread here in a long while! Great exhibition davey. And you're not just a super-talented graphics guy - that bio was witty and perfectly toned! I reckon we should keep this thread pinned as the major work goes on ... and on.

I don't know much about art, but I know what I like. Sgt Pepper, Punk and the Farewell Vancouver sigs are my favourites.

Archived