Hobart 2020

Lord David

I live in Hobart and am completely embarrassed by this bid. They are taking advantage of people who don't have the capacity for critical thinking (such as Grace Jones) and selling them pins and t-shirts at a very tidy profit. Ben Waterworth is being nominated for Pride of Tasmania medals and i am sure he thinks he has a future in politics.

Every time i post some constructive criticism on their group as to why the bid is ridiculous, they refuse to enter into a debate and delete my comments.

I am happy with Hobart just the way it is, and would hate it to ever change. I love the fact that i can jump on a plane to Melbourne or Sydney to see a concert or major sporting event, and enjoy the faster pace of a big city for a few days. I equally love the fact that when i fly back home it is too a more relaxed pace and to unspoiled beauty which is the city of Hobart.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Hobart and am completely embarrassed by this bid. They are taking advantage of people who don't have the capacity for critical thinking (such as Grace Jones) and selling them pins and t-shirts at a very tidy profit. Ben Waterworth is being nominated for Pride of Tasmania medals and i am sure he thinks he has a future in politics.

Every time i post some constructive criticism on their group as to why the bid is ridiculous, they refuse to enter into a debate and delete my comments.

I am happy with Hobart just the way it is, and would hate it to ever change. I love the fact that i can jump on a plane to Melbourne or Sydney to see a concert or major sporting event, and enjoy the faster pace of a big city for a few days. I equally love the fact that when i fly back home it is too a more relaxed pace and to unspoiled beauty which is the city of Hobart.

Welcome Gaz and it is very pleasant to hear the voice of sanity calling out from the banks of the Derwent :)

Anyone with an ounce of reason or not out to enrich themselves politically or financially at the cost of joe public understands that Hobart is simply not an Olympic candidate and never will be. So don't be embarrassed as much as be angry at the folk who are greasing the tracks for this fantastical con-job. Hobart's reputation is far more secure thanks to people like yourself rather than the hucksters and undergrad comedians behind this faux bid.

There's nothing wrong with Hobart bidding. Provided it does so in the scale of say what Lille (France) proposed for 2004.

Don't be trying to propose 100,000 seater ludicrous stadiums or naming them after local celebrities who have very little importance elsewhere. Just scale it back, make use of what you got, propose say a convention centre for much of the indoor sports, perhaps a new 10,000 odd arena and a couple of dozen new hotel developments (with the rest being made up for with cruise ship accommodation).

You won't win, might not even make the candidate stage, but would have put up a reasonably credible bid book.

But what is the point of bidding and wasting all those valuable volunteer hours and money when it could be put to a better use, such as saving the Tasmanian Devil, or cancer research, or petitioning major acts not to bypass Tasmania when they visit Australia. I'll tell you what the point is, if even they don't believe they can realistically win, it is to further the cause of Ben Waterworth pty ltd, and nothing else.

Oh and in regard to Grace Jones' comments re 70% of the facebook group approving of the stadium design. That figure is totally misleading as only 16 people voted so in reality a facebook group with over 10000 members could only get 12 people to approve the stadium design that is the centrepiece of their bid. Ben Waterworth and his family and close friends should cover that i reckon.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

couldnt have put it better myself well done

• 3 weeks later...

Another pointless publicity grab.

The AOC is not going to approve a Youth Games bid any time soon - they are smart enough to know when the time is right to bid for a Games and they wont be wasting their efforts on a YOG. Even if it was willing to go for 2022 we have no real idea of the 2018 field (officially) and the first two went to Singapore and Nanjing - two very large urban centres.

If Hobart (G-d - why am I even wasting time on this?) wants to bid for a multisports event they should be bidding for world championships and building a hosting legacy.

There is "dreaming big" and then there is "brazen stupidity"...

The AOC is not going to approve a Youth Games bid any time soon - they are smart enough to know when the time is right to bid for a Games and they wont be wasting their efforts on a YOG. Even if it was willing to go for 2022 we have no real idea of the 2018 field (officially) and the first two went to Singapore and Nanjing - two very large urban centres.

If Hobart (G-d - why am I even wasting time on this?) wants to bid for a multisports event they should be bidding for world championships and building a hosting legacy.

Especially when they propose a 100,000 seat stadium. It boggles the mind.

They looked just being kids... without any real local political support (in addition to the AOC's lack of support ...)

:blink: Hobart should've gone for the 2018 CWGs...Australia will bid for a OSGs sometime in the 20's, thats for true. Probibly with Brisbane or Melbourne.

Publicity stunt prehaps, but getting 'Hobart' out there is what this seems to be about. Agree with many here, a major second tier event is what to aspire to.

Why go with Hobart 2018 when you got a technically stronger Gold Coast 2018?

However, considering the competition, it would have been a mostly level playing field. All Hobart could have proposed that was existing would have been it's 5,000 seat arena, the tennis centre, a hockey centre and perhaps a 1,000 odd seater theatre.

I mean yes, Hobart would build everything necessary for the Commonwealth Games, but with Gold Coast showing a far more capable bid, one would wonder why you'd want to go to Hobart. Not to mention that it's closer to previous hosts Melbourne than Gold Coast.

Any Hobart bid would probably want Launceston in on the action. Perhaps including their stadium, velodrome and proposing the site to host Basketball prelims.

Archived