Hobart 2020

Lord David

David we are still discussing the venue plan in our meetings. Until then the current plan stays the way it is

And Roltel we have had brief discussions but until the Tasmanian Government formally accepts the bid and backs us we can't proceed any further with the AOC

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have seen you guys been interviewed and the like. No offence, but I don't think you properly understand how the bid process works and how insignificant Hobart would be in the Olympic movement. If you are serious like you say you are, you are seriously deluded. But good luck nonetheless :lol:

Lachie we clearly don't expect everybody to support us or even believe in the bid. Half the reason this bid is taking place is to change Hobart's image from the obvious negative one it has amongst you 'mainlanders'.

And no offence taken. However 'not properly understanding how insignificant Hobart would be in the Olympic movement' I think really is a harsh opinion. But each to their own!

Lachie we clearly don't expect everybody to support us or even believe in the bid. Half the reason this bid is taking place is to change Hobart's image from the obvious negative one it has amongst you 'mainlanders'.

And no offence taken. However 'not properly understanding how insignificant Hobart would be in the Olympic movement' I think really is a harsh opinion. But each to their own!

Thats why I think this "publicity" is good, too maybe raise Hobart's profile as a possible sporting city - for a COMMONWEALTH GAMES... just not an Olympics.

The reason I say why Hobart is insignificant is because: 1. Melbourne, Brisbane and even Perth have more lay to claim for a Olympic Bid and 2. Australia has no reason to bid for a games in the next 20 years as the IOC have other plans to spread the games before coming back to Australia

However 'not properly understanding how insignificant Hobart would be in the Olympic movement' I think really is a harsh opinion.

It's actually a harsh reality.

Why would the IOC award small populated Austrialia, (let alone little "Hobart") globally speaking, yet another Olympics in only 20 years time (& 3rd overall), when there's much, much bigger fish to fry out there that is yet to be tasted?? :huh:

With places like Athens, Beijing, London & Rio having been selected, & others wanting to be selected like Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Cape Town & a slew of other big global cities, yes, the reality is "not properly understanding how insignificant Hobart would be in the Olympic movement".

But if all it is, is PR, good for you. That's what Tulsa, OK says they're doing it for, too.

Can you at least remove the Beijing stadium proposal from the top of you venue page? I think that stadium was proposed at 200,000 seats, perhaps you are reaching.

I do like you're little gay dog logo though.

we have had brief discussions but until the Tasmanian Government formally accepts the bid and backs us we can't proceed any further with the AOC

And have you had any indications - the slightest encouraging hints or impressions - from the Govt?

It's actually a harsh reality.

Why would the IOC award small populated Austrialia, (let alone little "Hobart") globally speaking, yet another Olympics in only 20 years time (& 3rd overall), when there's much, much bigger fish to fry out there that is yet to be tasted??

With places like Athens, Beijing, London & Rio having been selected, & others wanting to be selected like Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Cape Town & a slew of other big global cities, yes, the reality is "not properly understanding how insignificant Hobart would be in the Olympic movement".

But if all it is, is PR, good for you. That's what Tulsa, OK says they're doing it for, too.

Half the reason we are doing this is not only to make Hobart more represented but also to show that cities our size are still capable of bidding for an Olympics and that it shouldn't matter the size or population of a place. That's not what the Olympics were created for. We are not completely stupid and think that we are going to bid for the games and win them easily and in our cities current state. Far from it. We realise the monumental effort and challenge it would be to even mount a bid to get through to the official applicant phase, and the effort involved in then creating a successful bid. Will we fail? More than likely yes. Will it stop us from mounting a bid? Absolutely not.

Can you at least remove the Beijing stadium proposal from the top of you venue page? I think that stadium was proposed at 200,000 seats, perhaps you are reaching.

I do like you're little gay dog logo though.

The images are only there as an indication of what we are looking for in our design competition so that people know what sort of designs we are after. That's why we are holding the competition so that we can obviously have our own images and concepts of what stadiums could look like.

And it is a Tasmanian Tiger on the logo

And have you had any indications - the slightest encouraging hints or impressions - from the Govt?

Yes, we have had several encouraging hints and impressions from many members of the government on both sides. We recently had the shadow minister for Sport declare her full support for the bid in parliament. We are in the process at the moment of beginning proper negotiations for them to officially back us

Half the reason we are doing this is not only to make Hobart more represented but also to show that cities our size are still capable of bidding for an Olympics and that it shouldn't matter the size or population of a place. That's not what the Olympics were created for. We are not completely stupid and think that we are going to bid for the games and win them easily and in our cities current state. Far from it. We realise the monumental effort and challenge it would be to even mount a bid to get through to the official applicant phase, and the effort involved in then creating a successful bid. Will we fail? More than likely yes. Will it stop us from mounting a bid? Absolutely not.

So, 50% of this exercise is based on your hypothesis that cities the size of Hobart shouldn't be penalised when submitting a bid due to their size, and the Olympics weren't revived along such discriminatory lines, but included regional cities with small populations?

Hmmm...intriguing. Considering that the smallest post-war host of a Summer Games was Helsinki in 1952 and had a population (then) of approximately 380,000 (surpassing Hobart's current population), how can the spurious notion of the the games not being created for larger metropolis' be valid? Is there any particular evidence you have from the IOC or the AOC, from the writings of de Courbetin or recent official statements from the likes of Jacques Rogge about the Summer Games not being focused on sustainable levels of domestic population support.

Perhaps if this project was a Winter Olympic bid you may have some concrete evidential basis for your whimsical bid. However you're projected a Summer Olympic Games, which have been hosted by cities with populations well in excess of one million since 1960. A cursory examination of history, as well as a fundamental understanding of the social cost of hosting a games would be well worth your consideration. For a start, instead of talking to state shadow ministers (who will possibly view your bid as a quick and cheap vote buying stunt) contact Dr Richard Cashman, one of the best authorities in Australia regarding the Olympics and its overall demands.

If you want to pass off your quixotic exercise in boosting Hobart's profile via an Olympic bid go for it. It's a free country and Tasmania possibly deserves more recognition than it may be getting from both those of us to the north of Bass Strait or those overseas. But please, do a little more research into how the Summer Olympics are hosted, their historical provenance, the economic and social foundations which must exist and the structures and guiding principles of what constitutes Olympism before a serious bid can be contemplated. Otherwise informed observers and members of the Olympic movement will continue to view your efforts as a well intentioned fantasy.

If you want to pass off your quixotic exercise in boosting Hobart's profile via an Olympic bid go for it. It's a free country and Tasmania possibly deserves more recognition than it may be getting from both those of us to the north of Bass Strait or those overseas. But please, do a little more research into how the Summer Olympics are hosted, their historical provenance, the economic and social foundations which must exist and the structures and guiding principles of what constitutes Olympism before a serious bid can be contemplated. Otherwise informed observers and members of the Olympic movement will continue to view your efforts as a well intentioned fantasy.

Again, we don't expect everybody to be a fan and we realise we have more critics out there than believers. But there is no harm in trying. If you reach for the stars you may just land on the moon

If Hobart were to host a Commonwealth Games, the following venues would be used:

Core Sports

Athletics-David Foster Stadium

Badminton-South Hobat Badminton Centre

Boxing-Regina Arena

Field Hockey-Tasmanian Hocke Centre

Lawn Bowls-Undertermined

Netball-Aurora Sports Stadium

Rugby Sevens-Rugby Park

Squash-Undetermined

Swimming-Hobart Aquatic Centre

Weightlifting-David Boon Centre

Optional Sports

Archery-Hobart archery Park

Basketball-Derwent Entertainment Centre

Cycling-Silverdome

Diving-Hobart Aquatics Centre

Gymnastics-Derwent Entertainmen t Centre

Judo-Pointing Dome

Shooting-Tasmanian Shooting Centre

Synchronised Swimming-Hobart Aquatics Centre

Table Tennis-Kingborough Sports Centre

Tennis-Domain Tennis Centre

Triathlon-Derwent River

Wrestling-Regina Arena

• 4 weeks later...

Today the Hobart 2020 bid released the winning design for our main stadium. Below are some images of the winning entrant.

37478_402183086900_309060151900_5026430_3988314_n.jpg

37478_402183091900_309060151900_5026431_2547955_n.jpg

37478_402183096900_309060151900_5026432_3570467_n.jpg

37478_402183101900_309060151900_5026433_5586597_n.jpg

37478_402183106900_309060151900_5026434_6375223_n.jpg

37478_402183111900_309060151900_5026435_7521897_n.jpg

(designed by Lindy Carolyn Hayter)

The design incorporates everything that Tasmania is known for - our beautiful mountainous terrain, our stunning flora and fauna and the unique beauty that cannot be experienced anywhere else in the world. The stadium uses futuristic materials that allow a stunning glow at night time, could become one of Australia’s and the World’s most iconic sporting venues

We of course at HOCOG are very excited by this stunning design!

Today the Hobart 2020 bid released the winning design for our main stadium. Below are some images of the winning entrant.

Tell you what, if nothing else, you're certainly ahead in the race when it comes to renders!

And, yes, it does look quite nice.

Anyone get the feeling this is all actually a very clever if obtuse way for a graphic/web design company to gather positive feedback and a small revenue stream from souvenirs whilst positioning themselves as Olympic dreamers.... :blink:

Throw in some semi-viral debate in here, a couple of gullible state pollies and voila...a nice little earner for our Taswegian friends :)

glad to see small minded thoughts come accross on this site too. It's people like you on this site and on Facebook and others that are the reason why the bid has even started in the first place! As somebody who lived in Hobart for many years I can say that such a bid would certainly change the entire city and bring them out from this negative perception they seem to have.

While all of you may laugh and scoff and doubt it, answer me this: Have any of you actually been to Hobart or are your opinions all based on stereotypes? I hate Melbourne & Sydney as well as Brisbane, but all of them are considered serious because why? They have a large population and are bigger and it's where most of the media is concentrated? Jesus, you guys all just need to open your damn minds and stop being so stereotypical!

I think the designs look fantastic, absolutely stunning actually. And the bid is fantastic for the entire state of Tasmania. Go for Hobart!

It looks like a toilet... oh wait, that would be an apt design for tassie

oh grow up! have you ever been there? jesus...coming from Melbourne...which looks like someone has taken a dump on it at most times anyways!

glad to see small minded thoughts come accross on this site too. It's people like you on this site and on Facebook and others that are the reason why the bid has even started in the first place! As somebody who lived in Hobart for many years I can say that such a bid would certainly change the entire city and bring them out from this negative perception they seem to have.

While all of you may laugh and scoff and doubt it, answer me this: Have any of you actually been to Hobart or are your opinions all based on stereotypes? I hate Melbourne & Sydney as well as Brisbane, but all of them are considered serious because why? They have a large population and are bigger and it's where most of the media is concentrated? Jesus, you guys all just need to open your damn minds and stop being so stereotypical!

I think the designs look fantastic, absolutely stunning actually. And the bid is fantastic for the entire state of Tasmania. Go for Hobart!

oh grow up! have you ever been there? jesus...coming from Melbourne...which looks like someone has taken a dump on it at most times anyways!

Um, welcome Grace and always nice to see the "no...ours isn't, yours is" debating technique applied.

Just a quick primer in why most posters here are subjecting this whimsical paper bid to such ridicule and scrutiny. It's not because we hate Tasmanians, have some grudge against Hobart, or think our home towns are better than yours. It's because the protagonists for a Hobart 2020 campaign have shown barely any cognisant understanding of how the Olympic games and the IOC works, what the impact of a Games are, and then to compound this problem sucks in interest with this delusion to your home town that actually destroys Hobart's credibility. Our opinions are based on participating in games and the Olympic movement or having studied the issues and debated them for years, not because we don't want to feel nice things about Hobart, or because we have some kind of stereotypical attitude about Hobart. Hell, if changed the scenario to Newcastle 2020, Gold Coast 2020 or even (sorry Croweaters) Adelaide 2020 we'd all be as sceptical about any attempt to bring the games back here so soon after Sydney 2000.

Instead of chasing ridiculous dreams of hosting the Summer Olympics why not ask the same 'gurus' behind this project to boost the quality of lifetsyle, the intriguing history, the food and wine culture of Tasmania in Australian and international consciousness. Hobart has a better message that will resonate more deeply than a fantasy bid with (as yet and almost utterly impossible to obtain) no backing from the AOC. Hell, expend similar passion and interest in something that should be attainable such as a Tasmanian AFL team (you can have the GWS clowns from Sydney if you want).

Unlike some of us here who play 'what if..' with our favourite or local cities in some kind of Olympic make believe we don't try and make money from our fantasies, we don't try and bring on board public officials who should know better, and we don't gull the urban community with silly dreams of 'if you build it they will come'...

PS when it comes to the IOC size does matter..politically incorrect but there it is :P

PPS: The stadium render is as ugly as sin...utterly out of character with Hobart's streetscape and reminiscent of gaudy overindulgence seen in beijing. If someone is going to design a huge stadium for Hobart at least make it sympathetic to the environs. Colossal stadia in Hobart such as the above design sticks out like dog's proverbials.

If you look back at the original post of mine i attached a small, but well position wink emoticon. You have seemingly deleted this from your post. You took a joke out of context. Bravo. Now, I like Tasmania BUT, what you Taswegians who flock onto this site to unequivocally support this bid is you have no understanding of how bids work (its not like in The Simpsons when Lisa writes to the IOC asks politely for the games for Springfield) and how improbable and silly it is for a Hobart bid, atleast for the next 70 years. But being naive and overprotective you immediately launch an unneccesary and baseless attack on us mainlanders. By the way, Melbourne rocks. You will notice that we are not bagging Tasmania, it is a beautiful place, but it is incapable of holding AN OLYMPIC GAMES! You on the other hand baselessly call melbourne a steaming pile of crap. I hope your not a lawyer because your evidence and argumentive skills are really lacking.

I stand by my comment. It looks like a toilet, and as eusebius65 just said, its architectual merit is non existent because it does not match the environment.

Hope this is ok with you Grace. I am a Melburnian so I probably and just another piece of poo in this dump of a city :rolleyes:

well really congratulations to all of you for having the knowledge and 'experience'. Really I applaud that to all of you. And you know what? That matters squat diddly. All you are doing is using your 'expertise' to sit on a computer and belittle people who dare to dream big. Is there anything wrong with that? No of course not. I think they realise they aren't likely to get the Olympics in 10 years time, but they are trying and putting in foundations to get more events to the city and build a network that allows them to be taken more seriously. And I'm not the only one who applauds it, and hell it isn't even 'TASWEGIANS' who feel this way. A story that was just published on a site recently about the bid details how most of the supporters of the campaign don't even come from Hobart, so go figure that one then? I'll just leave you all to your high placed perches and allow you to look down on anyone who don't meet your standards.

And as for the design, I think it looks fantastic, and again, I'm not the only one. Over 70% of Hobart 2020 supporters like it too, and the response for it has been positive. But hey, what's the point of trying to defend anything like that to people like you?

well really congratulations to all of you for having the knowledge and 'experience'. Really I applaud that to all of you. And you know what? That matters squat diddly. All you are doing is using your 'expertise' to sit on a computer and belittle people who dare to dream big. Is there anything wrong with that? No of course not. I think they realise they aren't likely to get the Olympics in 10 years time, but they are trying and putting in foundations to get more events to the city and build a network that allows them to be taken more seriously. And I'm not the only one who applauds it, and hell it isn't even 'TASWEGIANS' who feel this way. A story that was just published on a site recently about the bid details how most of the supporters of the campaign don't even come from Hobart, so go figure that one then? I'll just leave you all to your high placed perches and allow you to look down on anyone who don't meet your standards.

And as for the design, I think it looks fantastic, and again, I'm not the only one. Over 70% of Hobart 2020 supporters like it too, and the response for it has been positive. But hey, what's the point of trying to defend anything like that to people like you?

Excellent rebuttal. We all stand corrected and shall henceforth consider Hobart 2020 the pinnacle of Olympic excellence. This surely will be followed by Burnie 2024, Devonport 2028, Stanley 2030 (downhill skiing off the Nut) and finally Zeehan 2032.

And please, start lobbying now with the AOC and Julia Gillard for a 120,000 seat stadium for Rosebery to host the 3 day events during Hobart's 16 days of glory...how can the dream Tasmanian games be pulled off if the equestrian mad state of Tasmania doesn't provide the right architectural masterpiece.

John Coates and Jacques Rogges have got the future laid out for them now no worries thanks to these most perspicacious sports administrators south of Bass Strait.

I don't know as much about bids as the much respected posters like Sir Roltel and Eusebius65 but I know enough to tell you we aren't raining on your parade because we are heroes hiding behind a computer. If I met you in real life I would tell you the same thing. Tasmania is incapable of hosting AN OLYMPIC GAMES. I hope they do get major events but you can't go from hosting the regional cupcake championships of south east tassie to hosting an Olympic Games. The infrastructure needed is one thing but competing against nations which have more reasons for holding an Olympic Games than tassie is another. Pick the odd one out: Madrid, Tokyo, Cape Town, Hobart, Paris, Amsterdam, London, Beijing.... i gave you a hint :)

I once went out with a girl called Grace who moved to Hobart.

I suppose I have that effect on women.

;)

No connection I'm sure.

But seriously Grace, I don't want to rain on your parade, belittle your civic pride and drive or ridicule your fair city. In fact, I applaud you for being passionate about it. But you said it yourself.

I think they realise they aren't likely to get the Olympics in 10 years time

And that's the problem. It's just so hard to take it seriously and as anything else but a joke or publicity stunt when it's just so patently unachievable. It's just makes it harder for the Tasmanian cause - and, yes, easier for us mainlanders to dismiss it so "arrogantly" - when you are pitching for an event that is so, to be blunt, obviously out of your capabilities.

I think your efforts would have been better served, and be taken more seriously, if you really did aim for an event or proposal that was still ambitious, but at least achievable.

For example, I've been aware of Hobart 2020 since last year. A lot of that time the race for an Australian city to bid for the 2018 Commonwealth games was very much alive. The only competitor has been the Gold Coast. I have enough regard for Hobart to think you may have given the Gold Coast a good run for its money even starting late in the game. If Hobart had been chosen to represent Australia it would now be facing up against another small, dismissed, city starting with "H" - Hambantota in Sri Lanka - to stage the 2018 Commonwealth Games. I think you well and truly would have been welcoming the Queen's Baton to Constitution Dock in 2018. That - or an Expo, or a hosting berth in a 2022 Oz World Cup or whatever - would and could work ... and should be done if you want to promote your State. It would at least have forced many people to start taking your capabilities seriously. Pitching Hobart up against the likes of Tokyo, Cape Town, Rome whatever, just so patently does not, and leaves you open to ridicule.

This board is full of lot of people who follow - and talk a lot about - the Olympic and other events bidding process and like to think we know a bit about it and who has the "goods" and who doesn't. We're quick to put a our own reality checks on what we see as naive ambition. And, yeah, we all have our own preferences and prejudices. But a lot of us are still dreamers as well and want to entertain the hopes that many and diverse places can host many and diverse events. There's much that Tasmania could be capable of, but the Olympics in the forseeable future is just not one of them. It'd be remiss of a board such as ours that specialised in following the Olympics did not point this out so unanimously and vehemently.

I once went out with a girl called Grace who moved to Hobart.

I suppose I have that effect on women.

;)

No connection I'm sure.

But seriously Grace, I don't want to rain on your parade, belittle your civic pride and drive or ridicule your fair city. In fact, I applaud you for being passionate about it. But you said it yourself.

And that's the problem. It's just so hard to take it seriously and as anything else but a joke or publicity stunt when it's just so patently unachievable. It's just makes it harder for the Tasmanian cause - and, yes, easier for us mainlanders to dismiss it so "arrogantly" - when you are pitching for an event that is so, to be blunt, obviously out of your capabilities.

I think your efforts would have been better served, and be taken more seriously, if you really did aim for an event or proposal that was still ambitious, but at least achievable.

For example, I've been aware of Hobart 2020 since last year. A lot of that time the race for an Australian city to bid for the 2018 Commonwealth games was very much alive. The only competitor has been the Gold Coast. I have enough regard for Hobart to think you may have given the Gold Coast a good run for its money even starting late in the game. If Hobart had been chosen to represent Australia it would now be facing up against another small, dismissed, city starting with "H" - Hambantota in Sri Lanka - to stage the 2018 Commonwealth Games. I think you well and truly would have been welcoming the Queen's Baton to Constitution Dock in 2018. That - or an Expo, or a hosting berth in a 2022 Oz World Cup or whatever - would and could work ... and should be done if you want to promote your State. It would at least have forced many people to start taking your capabilities seriously. Pitching Hobart up against the likes of Tokyo, Cape Town, Rome whatever, just so patently does not, and leaves you open to ridicule.

This board is full of lot of people who follow - and talk a lot about - the Olympic and other events bidding process and like to think we know a bit about it and who has the "goods" and who doesn't. We're quick to put a our own reality checks on what we see as naive ambition. And, yeah, we all have our own preferences and prejudices. But a lot of us are still dreamers as well and want to entertain the hopes that many and diverse places can host many and diverse events. There's much that Tasmania could be capable of, but the Olympics in the forseeable future is just not one of them. It'd be remiss of a board such as ours that specialised in following the Olympics did not point this out so unanimously and vehemently.

Oh you charming diplomat SR :P

By the way, there is an interesting (if again delusional) article from the bid's esteemed patriarch at the Uni of Tasmania's student paper Togatus here (thumb through the online version near the end):

http://togatus.com.au/issue/2010/article/issue-3-2010

In effect it's another of the hopelessly romantic Field of Dreams inspired pieces of oratory backed by some web stats. However it still begs the question, is the author of both the article and the bid in it for a combination of fun, filthy lucre, a post-modernist snoot cocking at the media or just self promotion for his radio associations (which would seem to place him quite appropriately in both the midst of various other Olympic boosters over the years as well as your usual student union activist)? The apparent paucity of official support from anyone in a position of power, money or experience gives one as much confidence in this 'bid' as it does in the environmental credentials of Gunn's woodchipping plans :P

It all reminds me of the D-Generation's skit based on a Dubbo Olympic bid from the mid 80s, or of course the more famous (and more reputable) Smiggins Holes 2010 bid....

Archived